Walt Bell

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: Walt Bell

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 pm

tdmass wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 pm He took a pay cut to come here and run his own show . . . . that takes some stones!
I know. We hired a guy who is I the rise. Who has been given raises each new job. We got a p5 coordinator who will make approximately what he made at his previous stop before FSU. Wants to run the show. Hope he can do it.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm

inthescoop wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 pm
DrG wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:45 pm For the first time in the FBS era, we are hiring a young and presumably hungry assistant from a power program and I think that direction is long overdue. Obviously time will tell, but I can't comprehend why anybody wouldn't be willing to give him a chance.
100%

People are disappointed with the hire without an hour even going by. I think this is a home run hire, and not one that I expected. He’s the opposite of Whipple, and is on par with Ryan’s basketball and hockey coaching hires.
He is Whipple from Whipple's new Haven/Brown days.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:27 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm
DrG wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:45 pm For the first time in the FBS era, we are hiring a young and presumably hungry assistant from a power program and I think that direction is long overdue. Obviously time will tell, but I can't comprehend why anybody wouldn't be willing to give him a chance.
100%

People are disappointed with the hire without an hour even going by. I think this is a home run hire, and not one that I expected. He’s the opposite of Whipple, and is on par with Ryan’s basketball and hockey coaching hires.
Jeez, people here loveeee to stretch it.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:29 pm

100%

The other coaches were all successful head coaches at lower level programs. I see nothing that is on par yet with Bamford's other coaching hires.

Coaching at UMass and the Northeast is a total different beast as we all know and I hope he's up for the challenge. I don't think he really knows what he's getting into at UMass. He has no history at all playing against UMass and the Northeast recruiting. Two years at Maryland is nothing. I can't remember any southern football coach being successful in New England. If anyone remembers one please tell me.

Old-School
Junior

Post by Old-School » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Larry Fedora,DJ Durkin, and Willie Taggert coaching tree.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Old-School wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm Larry Fedora,DJ Durkin, and Willie Taggert coaching tree.
You had to bring that up, but it's very true....

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 pm

I like that the southern high revenue coaches are taking a flier on us. Amherst is contagious. Do we know if coach has been up north yet? I know colder weather is coming in, hah. Some of the FSU boards are funny. One is on page 5 on the hire and we are page one. The fans seem to link Bell with a highly rated QB prospect who may de-commit. Let's see if any unhappy 'Noles join us up north. Didn't see package numbers for the assistants but highly encouraging. Rock n roll.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 pm

A very very unimpressive hire.

Florida State had its 1st losing record since 2076.
The head coach Taggert may be gone in another year. Our team struggled mightily on defense and Bamford hires an offensive coordinator - -and a bad one at that.

Although I personally like Mark Whipple, I agreed with the decision to move on. However this fu has nothing in his resume to suggest success.
I apologize for my negativity but I simple cannot understand this decision.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Let’s give the guy a chance. I think it’s impressive we were able to land him, but conversely the FSU offense was less than great last year. Looks like a really good recruiter, but he never had to recruit kids to UMass. I’m one hundred percent behind him! It’s going to be interesting for sure.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 pm

I think he is owed all of our optimism and support. My only hope is that he is not his own OC, he'll have a lot to do without that distraction.

And with no FSU bowl game - can start right up and get onto recruiting.

Methinks that Bamford must have an amazingly deep networking list to get it done so fast.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:01 pm

inthescoop wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:27 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm

100%

Jeez, people here loveeee to stretch it.
I meant it as a compliment, not a dig. He is a fiery young coach who is known as a great recruiter. And he is also a offensive mastermind. He is not burned out and took a pay cut to come here. His time at Maryland was very good as well as Arkansas state.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Supposedly Don Brown helped with this search and recommended the new coach.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:10 pm

I'm a bit more at ease now after looking at his Arkansas St tenure. About 29-30 minutes of possession. Hopefully, that means he's an advocate for complementary football.

However, they either played very physical or very sloppy football (or both); 4th highest penalties per game.

They ran a 60/40 run/pass ratio. I really like that he puts a bit more emphasis on the ground game.

The 2014 turnovers were good, but in 2015 they averaged 2.1 per game. Really not ideal. Again points per game at the expense of playing sloppy usually isn't a winning strategy. So hopefully his OC is someone who runs something a bit more disciplined.

To be honest I was hoping we'd go for a coach with a defensive background. Ideally, you score 28 or more and allow 28 or less. But if you have to lean on one side of the ball, defense will win more games. We'll be okay so long as we get a great DC and as long as Bell is willing to play complementary football. We can't have a defense out there for 38 minutes like they were against Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJfGwd ... e=youtu.be
I'm impressed by how well spoken he is. I love how much he emphasizes on doing his part and being the best he can be while not overstepping. I believe Bell will not try to be the "flashy guy".
Last edited by McKinney on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 pm

An Arkansas State fan on twitter had some very encouraging words about Bell:
@EndAroundReport wrote: Most of us weren't happy to see him go. We had that 5 coaches in 5 years thing that depleted our roster and he made something good out of it.
https://twitter.com/EndAroundReport/sta ... 1629060096
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:24 pm

I certainly hope he is successful and will be supportive. While he may have left FSU to take a job for less (do we know that) the atmosphere there about the football program there has to
Put him on pins and needles. They do not accept failure there and I strongly suggest Taggert is on the hot seat even if he has only been there 1 year.
A coaching Tree if Fedora (fired) DJ Durkin (fired) and Taggert does little to ease my concern.
Again I hope for the best and will be supportive - albeit being highly skeptical.