Walt Bell

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Walt Bell

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:42 am

vanmeter wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 pm ESPN+ rated the 21 new FBS coaching hires and had Walt Bell ranked 15 out of the 21 with a grade of C+.
While this is only their opinion I would consider this a so so rank. Hopefully he will prove to be better than this.

vanmeter - based on this and other posts, you seem to be pretty down on the department and, more specifically, Bamford and his hires. Care to share why?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:27 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:42 am
vanmeter wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 pm ESPN+ rated the 21 new FBS coaching hires and had Walt Bell ranked 15 out of the 21 with a grade of C+.
While this is only their opinion I would consider this a so so rank. Hopefully he will prove to be better than this.

vanmeter - based on this and other posts, you seem to be pretty down on the department and, more specifically, Bamford and his hires. Care to share why?
It says that the Bell hire was graded as a C+ by ESPN. Is it okay with you if some fans are taking a wait and see approach to this or do you require that everybody pretend that everything Bamford does is wonderful ?? :roll:

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Why do you hate our AD? Just curious
Time to Win

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Why aren't you totally in love w/all things Ryan Bamford? Jus wondering...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Jack wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:27 am
It says that the Bell hire was graded as a C+ by ESPN. Is it okay with you if some fans are taking a wait and see approach to this or do you require that everybody pretend that everything Bamford does is wonderful ?? :roll:
Jack, I think you are overstating the " perceived optimism" shown for Coach Bell and the football program. Most of us who have followed the program for any length of time are taking a wait and see attitude and hoping for the best. I doubt many of us think everything is wonderful. but we're willing to give him a fair chance.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks 69, I'm all in and have already re-upped my ST for 2019 100% supporting Coach Bell. Very optimistic about the future of the program. I just think everybody is entitled to their opinions, I don't think we're all required to be 100% impressed w/everything the AD does. . Peace on Earth - J

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Jack wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:58 pm Why aren't you totally in love w/all things Ryan Bamford? Jus wondering...
It was a serious question. Your comments seem like you have a little issue with Bamford the person, not the AD.
Time to Win

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:49 am

Since the question was hijacked, I'll ask again: vanmeter - based on this and other posts, you seem to be pretty down on the department and, more specifically, Bamford and his hires. Care to share why?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 am

Since Bell has not been a head coach, and he has a lot of challenges ahead of him, I think the rating is fair for now. What I do like about Bell is his focus on recruiting talent, not just filling up the roster slots, a more methodical approach makes sense to me, fwiw.

As to the Drake - a wonderful place sorely missed. Downstairs/basement was about the only place in town that had cable to watch the Bruins in glory days of early-mid 70's. It was the diviest of dive bars and as at the old Blue Wall on campus, if wearing loafers you could easily step out of them, the floor was that sticky.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:24 pm

C+ is a good grade. It means satisfactory. I’d take Satisfactory, especially cause the first hire was an F and Whipple ended up being probably in the D range.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Don't know for sure but I'll bet if they rated coaching hires in 1988 Cal would've been only a C+ . . moral of the story is that only time will tell us!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Grading coaching hires before they have even coached a game is the same thing as grading a draft pick before he/she plays a game: pretty stupid but it always gets done because, well, there sure is a lot space to fill up on this here World Wide Web.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Sorry for not responding earlier but was out of town and then back for Christmas etc.

I do not think I am down on Bamford as much as I think he is getting an incredible amount of 'love' on this site, despite, what I consider to be, modest accomplishments to date. I suppose some here are favorable to Bamford when comparing him to McCutcheon.

He has now made 4 hires in, what I consider to be, sports that are fully (mbball, football, hockey) or somewhat (wbball) in the spotlight.

Women's Basketball Tony Verdi has a program now that is no better than the disappointing one that Sharon Dawley left. I have been to several games (due to those that proceed men's basketball) and feel that the team is erratic and lacking of talent. I feel that he is a poor coach and the program will end up similar to the Dawley/Dacko eras.

Men's Basketball Matt McCall has, thus far, been uninspiring. While I was optimistic about last years results, I am disappointed with the performance of this years team. Losses to Howard, Holy Cross, and an injury depleted Harvard team along with life and death victory over Fairleigh Dickinson has done little to inspire confidence. While McCall may turn out to be successful, to date I think that is an open question.

Mens Hockey Coach Greg Carvel is a outstanding Coach and was an excellent hire. It confirmed to me how successful hockey could be here with solid coaching

Mens Football Coach Walt Bell. I guess my concern about Walt comes from the fact that in his three years as an Offensive Coordinator, those teams have fared poorly. 2 losing season at Maryland and 1 at Florida State (ist losing record at FSU since 1976). While I understand that he was not the head coach, however,as offensive coordinator he should assume some of the responsibility for the teams lack of success. He may turn out to be great (and I hope he is) however I feel there is enough in his background to be skeptical of.

Keep in mind that these thoughts are simply my 'opinions' and I tried to give some rational for this. I guess the fact that most here have such adulation for Bamford I, personally, think it is somewhat undeserved to date.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:33 pm

I appreciate the response, vanmeter. Fair assessments.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:48 pm

In all fairness, McCall did not make the A list the first time around and Kelsey poisoned the punch bowl.
Go UMass!!