Fire the OC

Get ready for some MACtion
UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: Fire the OC

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:37 am

UMass87 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 pm The secondary is so bad that I want Jackson Porter back.
Bawhahahahaha Absolutely brilliant! :lol:
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 am

There's a reason why the AD puts up with Whip, he's saving the program money for an OC plus Whip himself is taking way less money than a better coach would at the expense of us fans. How long this will happen will be determined by this years results I would imagine. Look, how many FBS programs don't have a weekly presser for their upcoming game, doesn't have a weekly coaches show anymore to answer tough questions by the fans, we're the only one I know of . . hell, he doesn't do a presser after games to my knowledge, my point Whip has NO accountability for what he does here so he likes that comfort zone.Maybe he talks to the AD behind closed doors but I would think this year will be a make or break with him.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am

^ Well, it's not going to make him, except for unemployed.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:20 am

With the huge pension he'll get from the state he won't need employment !

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:35 am

tdmass wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 am There's a reason why the AD puts up with Whip, he's saving the program money for an OC plus Whip himself is taking way less money than a better coach would at the expense of us fans.
Yes because why would we want a better coach for more money? Mo Money Mo Problems. He can't possibly be saving the program money when they get 6k the rest of the way (except for BYU). Just like with DK there was just something not right around the team. You could see it but every year we get talked into the potential with the program. Time to rip the band-aid off an find a new solution. Honestly coming into this season I was not bowl game or bust on Whip. Now I am.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:43 am

MJatUM wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:35 am
tdmass wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 am There's a reason why the AD puts up with Whip, he's saving the program money for an OC plus Whip himself is taking way less money than a better coach would at the expense of us fans.
Yes because why would we want a better coach for more money? Mo Money Mo Problems. He can't possibly be saving the program money when they get 6k the rest of the way (except for BYU). Just like with DK there was just something not right around the team. You could see it but every year we get talked into the potential with the program. Time to rip the band-aid off an find a new solution. Honestly coming into this season I was not bowl game or bust on Whip. Now I am.
Pretty good analysis here. This was the "senior laden" team and was the year we're supposed to "do something". Next year's the "rebuilding year". Enough with this BS already.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Well the athletic department is about to spend $1.0m less next year with DK coming off the payroll.

Maybe they can sink some of that into a head coach AND an offensive coordinator....

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 pm

As I posted on the game thread, it might be worth seeing what Pinkham can do at some point this season.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 am

My only fear with giving Pinkham the job on an interim basis is, unless he somehow gives up the DC duties, you're still going to have the same issue with Whipple where there might be too much on his plate.

Add in that suddenly you're going to have to give someone else the OC role, and it could be ugly. Unless you're in danger of completely losing the team, in which case it wouldn't really matter anyway.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:29 pm

This quote from Whipple has been bugging me. "You try to go with what your plan was, but we didn’t execute."

There's a principle in engineering called "design for manufacturability", and basically what it boils down to is your plan for a product or process needs to be easily executed with as few changes as possible to the existing infrastructure. If your original plan can't be executed then you first need to try to adjust it to what can be executed. Oftentimes making an adjustment to the plan is less expensive to the organization than making changes to the infrastructure.

When Whipple blames the players that's equivalent to blaming the infrastructure. That's not effective problem solving.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:18 am

Might be stretching it a bit comparing the two. There is a lot more fluidity to sports than most things, that can affect outcome. Too many moving parts that aren't necessarily constant. There's no way I'm going to think for a second I know half of what these coaches do in terms of running this program, so I trust their process. But in the end, if the results aren't there, you have to scrap it and make a change
Time to Win

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:30 am

That's the thing... one of the internal knocks on Whip is he doesn't know how to run a program.. a coach has to be a CEO and people say he asks more like an OC who doesn't have the responsibility of overseeing everything.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 am

You could be right, I have no idea. It is a bit surprising to hear that since he did it here before.
Time to Win

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am

Don Brown had 100% control over the defense on the '98 NC team. Sometimes I wondered if he and Whip ever spoke other than to exchange pleasantries. By the way, there's another HC who is under question for doubling as the OC - some guy named Bill O'Brien in Houston.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 am

I think this evening answered the question definitively: the defense is the bigger problem (and the offense sets a low bar).