Game #2 @ Boston College

Get ready for some MACtion
Steve81
Hall of Fame

Game #2 @ Boston College

Post by Steve81 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Know this is a bit early, but has anyone taken the T D line to Chestnut Hill. Is the walk save, side walks etc. Any experiences or other recommendations as the walk is less than a mile. Hammond street to Reservoir Ave

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alumn ... 71.1666284

Last edited by Steve81 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: Game #2 @ Boston College

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Steve81 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm Know this is a bit early, but has anyone taken the T D line to Chestnut Hill. Is the walk save, side walks etc. Any experiences or other recommendations as the walk is less than a mile.

Plenty of side walks, but Cleveland circle is closer. You just walk around the reservoir. You might also be able to transfer to the C line from chestnut hill and take a train to the gates of the college. Cleveland circle might also get you closer to connect to the C train.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks, it looked like a nicer walk but a bit longer. Regarding transferring etc, take no joys in crowded subway cars.
Last edited by Steve81 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:09 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm
Steve81 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm Know this is a bit early, but has anyone taken the T D line to Chestnut Hill. Is the walk save, side walks etc. Any experiences or other recommendations as the walk is less than a mile.

Plenty of side walks, but Cleveland circle is closer. You just walk around the reservoir. You might also be able to transfer to the C line from chestnut hill and take a train to the gates of the college. Cleveland circle might also get you closer to connect to the C train.
Sorry, I meant the B line. Cleveland Circle is on the C line. You can’t really transfer until you get in to Kenmore. I used to ride those trains in my youth a lot, but i haven’t done it in years.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:09 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Sorry, I meant the B line. Cleveland Circle is on the C line. You can’t really transfer until you get in to Kenmore. I used to ride those trains in my youth a lot, but i haven’t done it in years.
If you don’t want to get off in Chestnut hill the D line should have a stop right after at reservoir or something like that, which is essentially Cleveland circle. It used to be a stop behind a movie theater. That walk is easier IMO than up over the hill to Beacon street.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Steve81 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm Know this is a bit early, but has anyone taken the T D line to Chestnut Hill. Is the walk save, side walks etc. Any experiences or other recommendations as the walk is less than a mile. Hammond street to Reservoir Ave
I've never done what you are suggesting, I always take the B line. But I looked at the map and it appears the total trip is only a few minutes longer than the B line from downtown. From what I know of that area, I think it would be fine to take the route you laid out.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 am

You'll be fine at any of the following Green Line stops:

B: BC, South Street
C: Cleveland Circle
D: Reservoir, Chestnut Hill
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 am You'll be fine at any of the following Green Line stops:

Agree. I'm just a creature of habit. It all depends where you're coming from. For example coming from Cambridge side, I'd take the red line in and take B to BC or south street.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 am You'll be fine at any of the following Green Line stops:

Agree. I'm just a creature of habit. It all depends where you're coming from. For example coming from Cambridge side, I'd take the red line in and take B to BC or south street.
I probably should have been a bit more specific as you bring up a great point. If you're going from Boston proper or just north or south of the city, getting on any of those lines to those stops will work, but B is likely your best bet. As for coming from the West, the D line from Riverside to either of those stops is your only train option.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:59 pm

B trains stop at a lot of lights. I prefer the D train. No traffic lights.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am

I probably should have been a bit more specific as you bring up a great point. If you're going from Boston proper or just north or south of the city, getting on any of those lines to those stops will work, but B is likely your best bet. As for coming from the West, the D line from Riverside to either of those stops is your only train option.
Yes. I assume the original question was referring to coming from the west. But, I was not sure. The closest D train stops are chestnut Hill and Reservoir, but if you wanted a nice walk on a shaded street (not even that much longer), it will be September 1, you could walk from Newton Centre, too. It’s all down hill on Beacon street for the most part.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

For past UMass BC games, I parked a Riverside and used the Green Line D train. My advice is to get off at Chestnut Hill and walk through the neighborhood to the south side of BC. Between the herd of people and the cops on pedestrian traffic duty, you’ll find your way there.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Mike Traini from Fight Massachusetts had a convo with the folks over at BC Interrupted.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018/6/1 ... ssachuetts

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:44 pm

It has been years since I have been to a UM-BC game in Newton. Had an opportunity to go a BC-VaTech game last year and backed out at the last minute when I didn't feel like parking in Needham and taking a bus.....and not being able to tailgate. Since I didn't have a connection to VaTech, I ddn't know if there is any tailgating opportunities for visiting fans at BC. With this year's game, I am more interested..........any one with info?
Thanks!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm

The last time we played there UMass had some parking allotted I believe. I don't really remember how I got in a lot, but other UMass fans were with us. I wasn't in charge of the parking arrangements. We pooped the bed in a game we should have done better. BC was really down and we should have been up. We got blown out, but Jesse Julmiste ran back a 105 yard kick off.