Game #2 @ Boston College

Get ready for some MACtion
DrG
Senior

Re: Game #2 @ Boston College

Post by DrG » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:49 pm

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Jack. BC could win anywhere from 8 to 10 games this year and possibly get to a New Year's Day bowl. We were utterly overmatched. I will judge the season by our performance against teams with which we should be competitive, starting next weekend.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:16 am

BC easily could go 7-0 heading into a key Friday night late October matchup against Miami.

The schedule gets brutal from there ... Miami, at Va. Tech, Clemson, at Florida State. But their toughest games up to that point probably are at Wake Forest and at NC State.

ESPN's FPI now has BC favored against Miami as well, based on last night's game (Miami was still a favorite before gacking against LSU).
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 am

That was rough and frustrating to watch. I didn't expect to win, but I expected the team to perform better than that. I also didn't think their QB would play that well... so that didn't help things.

On to Georgia Southern.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:08 am

Quann wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:18 pm Whipple stinks. Never seen a good coach that constantly platoons qbs. Ford is probably constantly looking over his shoulder waiting for the hook. Tough to perform under that situation. Same old UMass.
I know - right? That Nick Saban is a pretty bad head coach too :roll:

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am

Damn I thought we got croaked by Boston College on Saturday. Turns out we were playing Alabama!

"Best BC team in 10 years" isn't saying much. They are and were a borderline top 25 team. They are and were NOT close to the best team UMass has played in their FBS history. This is and was the worst loss of the FBS era in terms of effort and result vs expectation. We are closer to Duqesne (a borderline top 25 team in FCS) than we are to BC (a borderline top 25 team in FBS). Can't wait to start 2-4 and then finish 4-2 and have people clamoring to do it all again next year because the team looked so good. There is no hope left in this UMass fan.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:38 am

^ Wow. You'd better start hibernating now. :roll:

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:32 am

Why would I hibernate? Winter is coming and at least I have some faith in those (men's) programs.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 am

MJatUM wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am Damn I thought we got croaked by Boston College on Saturday. Turns out we were playing Alabama!

"Best BC team in 10 years" isn't saying much. They are and were a borderline top 25 team. They are and were NOT close to the best team UMass has played in their FBS history. This is and was the worst loss of the FBS era in terms of effort and result vs expectation. We are closer to Duqesne (a borderline top 25 team in FCS) than we are to BC (a borderline top 25 team in FBS). Can't wait to start 2-4 and then finish 4-2 and have people clamoring to do it all again next year because the team looked so good. There is no hope left in this UMass fan.
Give it a little time MJ. Not saying you are going to be wrong here, but you are not right yet either. Being a bad team versus laying an egg for one game are two very different things.

In 2 more games we all should be able to tell if it is one or the other. Being a bowl eligible team does not make you a good team..... Just look at a lot of those pathetic teams that play in the "just about anything before December 30th Bowl" ...

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 am Being a bowl eligible team does not make you a good team..... Just look at a lot of those pathetic teams that play in the "just about anything before December 30th Bowl" ...
Oh to dream. I would love to play in the Pine-Sol Toilet Bowl vs anyone.

I agree with your general sentiment and obviously I am being over reactionary to one game. But it is one game plus years of history added on top. I'll always root for them but if we could avoid me receiving the old "Yikes" text's from friends and family, that would be great as well.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:47 am

This one hurt more because it was BC. It's still one really, really, really bad game. Am I concerned that Whipple seems incapable of NOT calling runs up the middle in short yardage situations even though his team has repeatedly demonstrated that it is incapable of gaining a yard in said situations? Yes. Do I find it inexcusable that Whipple had a tight end punting regardless of why he chose to do so? Yes. Am I confused about the platooning that really seems to have no rhyme nor reason (Ford plays a series ending in a punt. Comis plays a series ending in a TD. Ford plays until game is lost...)? Yes. Is Whipple going anywhere this season? No. I'll try to watch every game. Whipple will probably make me throw up in my mouth a few more times. I think Whipple is stale. The game has passed him by. He needs a better game plan and he needs better plays. His offensive line is never going to open up holes up the middle against a real P5 team and he needs to figure out how he gets two yards when he needs it.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am

^ you are right on the BC thing, but you know what would make up for that?

Beating those rump-swabs just south of us. I would take more joy in that, then beating BC actually. BC at least doesn't disparage Umass for the most part. They don't bother with us really.

UConn on the other hand will take shots and play the "we are too good to be associated with you card" often enough that knocking them of their high and mighty perch would be quite satisfying. I'd like Umass to give them a good rogerring on the basketball court too, but that won't happen for a few years if ever.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am

^ Seems like UConn is to WMass alums what BC is to EMass alums.

I'd like to see UMass and UConn play each other every year in every sport. Other than hoops, that's pretty much the way it is already.
Last edited by LS71 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 am

MJatUM wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am Damn I thought we got croaked by Boston College on Saturday. Turns out we were playing Alabama!

We're playing FBS football now which is/was everybody's dream. We are on the big stage and not in the ridiculous 1AA level that no one cares about. Are we ever going to win the National Championship in football? of course not. But applications are way up since jumping up to 1A, and that, I think is all the reasons I need to justify it.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Maybe I’m missing something, but I fail to see any correlation between increased applications and a so far failed FBS football program. I think that’s a pretty big stretch. Application reports are easy to find. They have increased steadily since at least the year 2000. There’s been about a 9,000 increase since we moved to FBS. Since 2000, applications have approximately doubled.

https://www.umass.edu/oir/admissions-an ... nt-reports
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 pm

There are a lot of reasons why applications are up dramatically but FBS football isn't one of them. All you need to see is the mass exodus of students after the tailgating is over.