State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm

vanmeter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm If Appalachian State and Liberty can succeed in FBS Football, there is no reason why we cannot.

Football and Men's Basketball are, by far, the most important sports in college athletics and we are no better now, if not worse, 5 years into Bamford's tenure. Rest assured that if he was doing a very good job, he wouldn't still be at Umass.
Liberty has so much money and even though in Appalachia, it is still a southern school part of the NC system. Much different environment and context.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Pretty nice analysis by eldonabe. Football's just a very difficult program to build and comparing to Appalachian and Liberty is just is not an apples to apples comparison. We're caught in a very vicious circle of bad record, bad stadium, bad college football climate ( New England) which makes it difficult to recruit high-level players. Not sure how we're going to break out of this.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Well, we said the same about hoop back in the 80's. Couldn't have been any worse. The key is getting the right guy in there who knows its gonna be tough, has a vision, and has a commitment to stick around and see it happen. There's lots of good things at The University of Massachusetts so its not impossible. Its a fickle fan base tho, so theres got to be some progression each year. Hockey most recently has turned it around, football should be able to get at least respectable fairly quickly

Start winning and being competitive and fans will come
Time to Win

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:45 pm

Well put Floyd.
As far as Liberty my recollection is we beat them in 2018 and got blown out in 2019. Same for UConn.
I understand we need patience and Bell deserves time to develop the program, but high GPA’s and good character players is not a substitute for poor results.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:17 pm

vanmeter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:45 pm I understand we need patience and Bell deserves time to develop the program, but high GPA’s and good character players is not a substitute for poor results.
They're no substitute, but I also don't think character, scholarship, and athletic talent are mutually exclusive traits.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm Liberty has so much money and even though in Appalachia, it is still a southern school part of the NC system. Much different environment and context.
The NC system?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm
vanmeter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm If Appalachian State and Liberty can succeed in FBS Football, there is no reason why we cannot.

Football and Men's Basketball are, by far, the most important sports in college athletics and we are no better now, if not worse, 5 years into Bamford's tenure. Rest assured that if he was doing a very good job, he wouldn't still be at Umass.
Liberty has so much money and even though in Appalachia, it is still a southern school part of the NC system. Much different environment and context.
Case of information transposition .....App Sate is part of the U North Carolina System and Liberty is a Private school in Virginia..

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 am

^

Got it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am

Case of information transposition .....App Sate is part of the U North Carolina System and Liberty is a Private school in Virginia..
Sorry, i typed too quickly, but yeah that's what I meant App state is part of NC system.

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am

Sorry, i typed too quickly, but yeah that's what I meant App state is part of NC system.
Is this the same “NC system” that has produced a 120-128 with exactly 1 top 25 final ranking since 2000 for their crown jewel UNC Chapel Hill?
NC State is better in that same 20 year timeframe at 136-115 with 3 top 25 final rankings but hardly anything to get too excited about.
I’m just not sure that the “NC system” explains App State’s quicker ascent in FBS football...

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:01 am

^ Carl - You missed the point. He's talking about state education systems, not football systems. Appy is part of the NC system the same way that UMass Medical is part of the MA system.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 am

Old Cage wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:01 am ^ Carl - You missed the point. He's talking about state education systems, not football systems. Appy is part of the NC system the same way that UMass Medical is part of the MA system.
I realize it’s a state school, I thought he was implying/inferring (never know which one to use) that the NC state college system somehow fosters an environment that is conducive to football success. My counter was that UNC Chapel Hill has essentially been less than mediocre for 2 decades and NC State has been slightly better than mediocre. Without question these are the 2 biggest, highest profile schools in their system and they’re not very good.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am

Carl Spackler wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 am
Old Cage wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:01 am ^ Carl - You missed the point. He's talking about state education systems, not football systems. Appy is part of the NC system the same way that UMass Medical is part of the MA system.
I realize it’s a state school, I thought he was implying/inferring (never know which one to use) that the NC state college system somehow fosters an environment that is conducive to football success. My counter was that UNC Chapel Hill has essentially been less than mediocre for 2 decades and NC State has been slightly better than mediocre. Without question these are the 2 biggest, highest profile schools in their system and they’re not very good.
I was commenting on the fact that the southern state education systems support FBS football more than the NE systems. Also, The mere fact that NC State and UNC are in P5 conferences can be considered success from our perpsective. App State having success at the G5 level has a lot to do with systemic support. Obviously they made the jump at the right time as well. Don't forget we beat them a few years ago, so from a competitive standpoint our talent has not been that far off. As to why we couldn't get over the hump and beat a P5 once or consistently compete, well that blame seems to have been placed on coach Whipple, hence he is not here anymore. We laid many eggs including when some national pundits thought we would go bowling.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:53 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am
Carl Spackler wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 am
I was commenting on the fact that the southern state education systems support FBS football more than the NE systems. Also, The mere fact that NC State and UNC are in P5 conferences can be considered success from our perpsective. App State having success at the G5 level has a lot to do with systemic support. Obviously they made the jump at the right time as well. Don't forget we beat them a few years ago, so from a competitive standpoint our talent has not been that far off. As to why we couldn't get over the hump and beat a P5 once or consistently compete, well that blame seems to have been placed on coach Whipple, hence he is not here anymore. We laid many eggs including when some national pundits thought we would go bowling.
NC State are historically near .500 winning percentages over the last few decades with occasional flashes of brilliance and a few subpar years. That would be success to most here if UMass were in that boat.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 am

I think we are on the right track.. btw the Sports Psychic nailed another one with Tenn over Balt pick..

We now have two programs that show what can happen when you do things the "right" way (whatever that means). Hockey and now Womens's BB.