State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm
Floyd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:06 pm Wow, that blows. First Britt, now Ally. Two players I really thought could help this program. Hate to see them go, but best of luck to them both
Both of them were recruited over. I wish them the best too.
I agree that Britt was recruited over, but no one under Ally’s class has carried the ball as a running back. Who exactly as you referring to for this?

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:15 pm

^ Don't know bout Ally but Britt certainly wasn't, in fact rhe last 2 recruiting classes have been terrible and this year it's even worse but this year won't matter much if Whip is fired. In fact those 2 classes with Britt&Ally were light years better than the last 2!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:11 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 pm
Floyd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:06 pm Wow, that blows. First Britt, now Ally. Two players I really thought could help this program. Hate to see them go, but best of luck to them both
I agree that Britt was recruited over, but no one under Ally’s class has carried the ball as a running back. Who exactly as you referring to for this?
I think his reason is Jordan Fredericks, who is also a Junior. The program has lost a lot of running backs under Whip: JT Blayden, Peyton Pickett (Liberty), Sekai Lindsay; now Britt and Alley that I can remember. Still have seven QBs on the roster...The new coach will have to be looking for grad transfers and JCs.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:37 pm

tdmass wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:15 pm ^ Don't know bout Ally but Britt certainly wasn't, in fact rhe last 2 recruiting classes have been terrible and this year it's even worse but this year won't matter much if Whip is fired. In fact those 2 classes with Britt&Ally were light years better than the last 2!
Emilus was already contributing at a higher level than Britt as a freshman, as I write this he was a DNP vs UConn with no explanation given.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:06 pm
Ferdericks. Ally wanted to be the feature back and he ended up behind both Young and Fredericks this year. A lot has to do with protection schemes. I wish him well.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:37 pm
tdmass wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:15 pm ^ Don't know bout Ally but Britt certainly wasn't, in fact rhe last 2 recruiting classes have been terrible and this year it's even worse but this year won't matter much if Whip is fired. In fact those 2 classes with Britt&Ally were light years better than the last 2!
Emilus was already contributing at a higher level than Britt as a freshman, as I write this he was a DNP vs UConn with no explanation given.
Dingle and Simon and Emilus getting more than Britt. All recruited after him. His classmate Palmer also getting more. With a TE pro style offense three WR see the field. Britt was not going to see the field much more, and he is a senior next year. Looks like Whip did him a solid and let him redshirt, by not playing him in more than four games this year. Same for Ally.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Pretty sure they are trying to redshirt him. He has played in three games and can go one more.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:08 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm
Dingle and Simon and Emilus getting more than Britt. All recruited after him. His classmate Palmer also getting more. With a TE pro style offense three WR see the field. Britt was not going to see the field much more, and he is a senior next year. Looks like Whip did him a solid and let him redshirt, by not playing him in more than four games this year. Same for Ally.
Thanks for the clarification. I wondered why Ally was rarely in as the season went on. Kid has some speed, I'm sure he'll have no problem finding a new school. I thought he would take over when Marquis graduates, but you'd know better than I who's where on the depth chart.
Time to Win

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Any possibility he had a problem with grades?

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:08 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I wondered why Ally was rarely in as the season went on. Kid has some speed, I'm sure he'll have no problem finding a new school. I thought he would take over when Marquis graduates, but you'd know better than I who's where on the depth chart.
Ally would have gotten to be at least the number two guy next year. Orekoya, Fredericks and newly minted scholly man Vic Santiago are all we have at RB next year. As to Berkman’s question, I don’t know anything about grades and try not to speculate about them unless it is something where it is clear.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Just curious, how often is it that guys announce they are leaving during the season?
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:18 am

I think with the new transfer rules it will be more frequent than in years past. That being said it feels as if UMass has had an inordinate amount the first year under the new rules. Wish these players all the best wherever they finish up their careers.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Also with early signing, kids want to get a spot.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:14 pm

wmmmfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:18 am I think with the new transfer rules it will be more frequent than in years past. That being said it feels as if UMass has had an inordinate amount the first year under the new rules. Wish these players all the best wherever they finish up their careers.
I wonder how the situation compares to other G5 schools with a coach on the hot seat.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:25 am

I have no fear of placing my expectations too high for next season as I know it is a lock that UMass football will be bowl eligible (not guaranteeing a bowl bid). Coach Bell is more than a home run hire, he is a Grand Slam. We are going to get better players, we are going to beat smaller schools handily (no way the likes of Coastal Carolina comes to our house and wins), We are going to fill McGuirk by the end of next season, and we will get invite to AAC in the near future along with plans for stadium renovation. This will all come to pass...