Something wrong here.

Get ready for some MACtion
KahunaK
Senior

Something wrong here.

Post by KahunaK » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 am

No way any college coach should get paid $11 Million.....especially at a public institution. Whipple doesn't even get 1/20th of this. Unbelievable!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... 11-million

m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Something wrong here.

Post by m626t » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:16 am

Pretty sure the bulk of this compensation does not come from public coffers, but rather boosters, alum organizations etc.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am

And yet the players don't receive a dime...

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:36 am

Compared to the amount of money he brings into the University it's nothing. I would dare say Whip costs the university more than Saban costs Alabama compared to profit.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 pm

^ Yup. Agreed.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Completely agree. But Alabama has no pro football, all their energy is on Alabama, Auburn, etc. as the state's entertainment.

My guess is that his official state salary is very low. But he gets huge revenues from: booster club, summer camps, athletic gear, TV/radio shows, etc.. Not to mention his private endorsement deals for at least one bank.

Still it is unseemly and out of proportion at a State university, at least to me.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Something wrong here-part 2.

From the article- During Sumlin's tenure, the program spent more than $520 million on football facility renovations, including a $485 million redevelopment to Kyle Field. The program finished with a top-15 recruiting class nationally five times in six recruiting cycles.

#1- $520M on a football facility. WOW! Can you image what a university (especially UMASS) could do with $520M in terms of scholarships, endowed professorships, upgrading facilities etc.

#2 Top 15 recruiting class annually- but gets the boot. What do these schools expect? A&M is in "west sec" with Alabama, Auburn and LSU. If they crack the top three- that would be an accomplishment. A&M has lost its mind.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ix-seasons

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Marty Peretz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am And yet the players don't receive a dime...
The scholarship college athletes receive far more than a dime. The projected value of a college scholarship is in excess of several million dollars.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm

KahunaK wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 pm Can you image what a university (especially UMASS) could do with $520M in terms of scholarships, endowed professorships, upgrading facilities etc.
I'm sure they could do a whole lot! I think they built the life sciences complex for somewhere around $250M, and that facility houses several large lecture halls, lots of offices, and state of the art labs that produce a LOT of the university's research. That's so much money that even if we had no endowment, no tuition, and no revenue of any kind $520M could keep the place running for a good 5 months.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Jack wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm
Marty Peretz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am And yet the players don't receive a dime...
The scholarship college athletes receive far more than a dime. The projected value of a college scholarship is in excess of several million dollars.
Several million dollars? Curious to know where you sourced that figure.
Word to your motha!

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:37 pm

At what point do you have to be a data scientist to post here???

Jack's point is still valid, while a scholarship might not be in the millions it certainly approaches $100k. And to think that this is not worth a dime is shortsighted.

People take summer internships with companies for free. Why, you may ask? To gain exposure, build the resume, audition for a job, etc. Playing college football is no different. It's an audition for the NFL. I doubt that there is a single player at the FBS level that doesn't want a shot at the NFL but they also recognize that a college degree is a great second option if the NFL doesn't work out. Nearly all professional jobs require a degree to even get a foot in the door. If you don't think that is worth more than a dime, then talk to the person with a GED/ HS diploma who can't get an interview because of the College degree prerequisite. I know that there are examples that will prove me wrong but generally, them's the rules.

With respect to the schools making money off the players, hey life's not fair. Every company in the world makes money off the people that work for them. Generally, people are not equitably compensated for the overall value/benefit they provide the company. I know, college is a non-profit with a higher learning standard, not supposed to be a business. That ship sailed years ago...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 pm

PintOGuinness wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm Several million dollars? Curious to know where you sourced that figure.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/201 ... 82d305619e

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 pm
PintOGuinness wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm Several million dollars? Curious to know where you sourced that figure.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/201 ... 82d305619e
the average "value" of a college football scholarship is in excess of $2 million for student-athletes who (1) play for one of the pre-season Top 25 schools and (2) would not have pursued a college degree if it weren't for their scholarship.
Well we don't match (1) so definitely not $2M. However, if (2) applies it could be worth up to $250k+ (for out of state + room & board costs over a max of 5 years).
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

https://budgeting.thenest.com/job-salar ... 23434.html

This says $1Million difference between high school vs college grads.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:37 pm People take summer internships with companies for free. Why, you may ask? To gain exposure, build the resume, audition for a job, etc. Playing college football is no different. It's an audition for the NFL.
I took a summer internship when I was at UMass. I worked for a company and my responsibilities were along the lines of filing documents, creating basic Excel spreadsheets, and getting the forex traders coffee and lunch. When my internship ended, I got a nice review from my manager.But I seriously doubt any task I performed contributed in any way to the company's bottom line. College football players generate serious revenue(esp if in a power conference) for their institutions which in many cases far outweighs the scholly amount.

I hope you can see how foolish this analogy is.
Word to your motha!