Something wrong here.

Get ready for some MACtion
KahunaK
Senior

Re: Something wrong here.

Post by KahunaK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am If you say so. College affordability has nothing to do with private donations paying for a coach.
It has to do with the priorities of a university and our society. Sports are clouding the mission/judgment of many colleges and universities. How many students would have benefited from those donations going to scholarships instead of a college coach who will probably lead the 4th best team in the SEC West. Waste of money that could be used for much better purposes.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am

How many people choose to attend the 4th best team in the SEC West because they grew up loving the football/basketball team and always wanted to go there because of it? The value of a (successful) athletics program obviously varies school by school but in your example of the SEC in particular I think a good athletics program carries tremendous value - with one exception being Vanderbilt.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 am

KahunaK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am
It has to do with the priorities of a university and our society. Sports are clouding the mission/judgment of many colleges and universities. How many students would have benefited from those donations going to scholarships instead of a college coach who will probably lead the 4th best team in the SEC West. Waste of money that could be used for much better purposes.
No, sports are not clouding the mission/judgment of many colleges and universities. I am sure the academics and mission of A&M is doing just fine regardless if they spent $1mm or $75mm in private donations on a football coach.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 am

People grow up dreaming about going to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, NYU, Chicago, Vanderbilt, Smith, Wellesley, MIT etc and their sports team aren't what you would call Alabama-like. Also the large state schools in the South, Midwest and West are the really the only major universities in those states for the most part. So kids would still desire to go there whether they had any sport teams or not.

I agree having a good sports program enhances the the reputation of a university (I was all in for going FBS in football). However, that shouldn't be the driving force in the university. In Kentucky and Alabama, if those schools basketball team/football team drop below .500, it gets the whole attention of the state and elected officials. Low high school graduation rates and poor SAT scores get none.

My point is the money that is being wasted by some schools to try to out Bama, Bama could be used for other purposes that would benefit those schools and our society. The educational systems in some of those states of the SEC are so bad. Mullen at Miss. State was getting $4-5 Million per year and Luke at Miss. will get $3M Put that money into improving some schools and that would have a bigger impact on those states versus Mississippi/MSU going from 6-6 to 8-6.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Look at this survey and compare football team reputation and educational system reputation. Seems to be a link.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-t ... ools/5335/

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:52 am

I agree, tax payer money shouldn't be put into crazy salaries. But that's not what A&M did. So the point is invalid in regards to that example, which is the point I was trying to make.

In regards to those rankings, I have no doubt there is some truth to it. But when ranking things, someone has to be first and someone has to be last.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 am

Also, 18% of Harvard's enrollment is from the south. I can't find a further breakdown at the moment, but those terrible school systems are doing something right.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/ ... statistics

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:32 pm

IV is correct. You are trying to reuse money for a purpose other than what it was given for. These people making the donations are specifically earmarking it for the athletics program. If the school then took that money and reissued it to academic scholarships the donations would dry up almost immediately.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 pm

PintOGuinness wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pmI took a summer internship when I was at UMass. I worked for a company and my responsibilities were along the lines of filing documents, creating basic Excel spreadsheets, and getting the forex traders coffee and lunch. When my internship ended, I got a nice review from my manager.But I seriously doubt any task I performed contributed in any way to the company's bottom line. College football players generate serious revenue(esp if in a power conference) for their institutions which in many cases far outweighs the scholly amount.
Let's call it what it is, D1 athletes are employees and the college they attend is their employer. Some of the payment is in the form of a scholarship and some of it is in actual $ (COA). There is nothing inherently wrong or evil about this, companies make more off of their employees than they pay their employees, if this were not the case the employer would go out of business.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 am Also, 18% of Harvard's enrollment is from the south. I can't find a further breakdown at the moment, but those terrible school systems are doing something right.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/ ... statistics
I'm going to take a guess and say that a vast majority of them attended private schools.....much like the students from the north,east and west.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm

MJatUM wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:32 pm IV is correct. You are trying to reuse money for a purpose other than what it was given for. These people making the donations are specifically earmarking it for the athletics program. If the school then took that money and reissued it to academic scholarships the donations would dry up almost immediately.
I am not saying that people cannot give money for their own purposes- you earn it you decide where it goes. It is just unfortunate that these wealthy people see giving money to a mediocre football program is more desirable than using it for the educational mission of the school. It is an issue of priorities that I disagree with. All the wealthy donors at Harvard etc. donate the big money to improving the educational aspects of the university and not the athletic department. My guess is that if the Ivy schools really wanted to compete in sports, they would all be top 25. Between their endowments and the ability to tap into an enormously wealthly alumni base, Harvard could make Alabama look poor.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:02 am

You are certainly right about that. If the Ivy's started allowing athletic scholarships they could be a multi-bid basketball conference.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:18 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipbondy ... 59b801b973

High school football coaches making $100k+! Wow. Something terribly wrong here.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Again, depends on how the position is funded.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:42 pm