Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
User avatar
Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5906
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Berkman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am

TheInsider wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am I'm sure the kids in the band are dedicated and talented.. the band direction is awful.
Agreed. They are doing TOO MANY vocals and they are mediocre at best. I can remember when they had a bunch of billboard type signs ? and two of my favorites were NY NY and Phantom of the Opera. In fact on one of our visits to our son in Vegas we went to see The Phantom of the Opera the week after it opened just to see the whole play.

I think the present band director is not that good and I think they should have picked the gal that is at Delaware, former UMass band member.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Floyd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 am

You have a son in Vegas?
The E sho, best show in town

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8078
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by 78 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I know this is the UT game thread, but I have never understood the vocals thing with the band. Usually they are not very good and often too hard to hear. It makes no sense to me. I also agree that playing more recent tunes would be nice. That said, the band is powerful and still fun to listen to.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

photoman
Senior
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by photoman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Berkman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am
TheInsider wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am I'm sure the kids in the band are dedicated and talented.. the band direction is awful.
Agreed. They are doing TOO MANY vocals and they are mediocre at best. I can remember when they had a bunch of billboard type signs ? and two of my favorites were NY NY and Phantom of the Opera. In fact on one of our visits to our son in Vegas we went to see The Phantom of the Opera the week after it opened just to see the whole play.

I think the present band director is not that good and I think they should have picked the gal that is at Delaware, former UMass band member.
Wow. So the bad coaching hires extend to the band!

User avatar
Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5906
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Berkman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Floyd wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 am You have a son in Vegas?
Yeah. He graduated from UMass in 2004 with a degree in hospitality and a bit more. He works for the MGM Mansion as a Guest Relation Specialist. Been out there for about 12 years now first started working at Planet Hollywood working up to a Front Desk Supervisor before switching to MGM.The MGM mansion has 29 suites. A one BR suite goes for $ 5,000 a night the two BR suites are $ 7,500 a night and the three BR suites go for $ 12,000 a night. About 98% of the time they are complimentary to the high rollers. There have been some movie and TV stars that have stayed there paying full price. Of course we can't stay there as we don't gamble enough but he was able to give us a tour of the place. However we do get some bennies because he works there like reduced rates and a few others. He owns a town house in Henderson and does Real Estate on a side. He is able to do that because he works a late shift which gives him time off during the day. We usually go out to see him just about every year.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

photoman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm
Berkman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am
TheInsider wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am I'm sure the kids in the band are dedicated and talented.. the band direction is awful.
Agreed. They are doing TOO MANY vocals and they are mediocre at best. I can remember when they had a bunch of billboard type signs ? and two of my favorites were NY NY and Phantom of the Opera. In fact on one of our visits to our son in Vegas we went to see The Phantom of the Opera the week after it opened just to see the whole play.

I think the present band director is not that good and I think they should have picked the gal that is at Delaware, former UMass band member.
Wow. So the bad coaching hires extend to the band!
Replacing GNP was next to impossible. He was/is the Minuteman marching band. The do need to move on though, from him. You will never get another GNP, though. a GNP disciple might work.

User avatar
krkess
Senior
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:40 pm

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by krkess » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm
photoman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm
Berkman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am

Agreed. They are doing TOO MANY vocals and they are mediocre at best. I can remember when they had a bunch of billboard type signs ? and two of my favorites were NY NY and Phantom of the Opera. In fact on one of our visits to our son in Vegas we went to see The Phantom of the Opera the week after it opened just to see the whole play.

I think the present band director is not that good and I think they should have picked the gal that is at Delaware, former UMass band member.
Wow. So the bad coaching hires extend to the band!
Replacing GNP was next to impossible. He was/is the Minuteman marching band. The do need to move on though, from him. You will never get another GNP, though. a GNP disciple might work.
I love when the band plays something that shows the sheer power they are capable of. The 1812 overture at the ODU game was nothing short of amazing.

User avatar
e_parade
Junior
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by e_parade » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm
photoman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm
Berkman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am

Agreed. They are doing TOO MANY vocals and they are mediocre at best. I can remember when they had a bunch of billboard type signs ? and two of my favorites were NY NY and Phantom of the Opera. In fact on one of our visits to our son in Vegas we went to see The Phantom of the Opera the week after it opened just to see the whole play.

I think the present band director is not that good and I think they should have picked the gal that is at Delaware, former UMass band member.
Wow. So the bad coaching hires extend to the band!
Replacing GNP was next to impossible. He was/is the Minuteman marching band. The do need to move on though, from him. You will never get another GNP, though. a GNP disciple might work.
The band losing GNP was akin to Alabama losing Saban. And the director from Delaware is Heidi Sarver, and she is most definitely extremely well respected and would have been a fantastic hire.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm

e_parade wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm
photoman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Wow. So the bad coaching hires extend to the band!
Replacing GNP was next to impossible. He was/is the Minuteman marching band. The do need to move on though, from him. You will never get another GNP, though. a GNP disciple might work.
The band losing GNP was akin to Alabama losing Saban. And the director from Delaware is Heidi Sarver, and she is most definitely extremely well respected and would have been a fantastic hire.
Completely agree. My wife is a bando from the early/mid 1990s. I remember the combined shows with UD, etc. Did Heidi apply ? I can't imagine they would have passed her over. I think Hannum applied, and maybe Heidi didn't want to compete with him?

User avatar
e_parade
Junior
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by e_parade » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:07 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm
e_parade wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Replacing GNP was next to impossible. He was/is the Minuteman marching band. The do need to move on though, from him. You will never get another GNP, though. a GNP disciple might work.
The band losing GNP was akin to Alabama losing Saban. And the director from Delaware is Heidi Sarver, and she is most definitely extremely well respected and would have been a fantastic hire.
Completely agree. My wife is a bando from the early/mid 1990s. I remember the combined shows with UD, etc. Did Heidi apply ? I can't imagine they would have passed her over. I think Hannum applied, and maybe Heidi didn't want to compete with him?
Both Hannum and Heidi applied. From what I gather, the administration wanted to go in a different direction with the band because they weren't always happy with how GNP was operating. I was only a few years removed from my UMMB days when the decision was made, and had plenty of friends, and even a cousin, who were in the room during all the auditions. The general consensus at the time was that no one understood why Heidi or Thom didn't get the job.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6248
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Old Cage » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

krkess wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pmI love when the band plays something that shows the sheer power they are capable of. The 1812 overture at the ODU game was nothing short of amazing.
+1

Probably only amazing for those of us smart enough to sit on the press box side. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm

e_parade wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:07 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm
e_parade wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm

The band losing GNP was akin to Alabama losing Saban. And the director from Delaware is Heidi Sarver, and she is most definitely extremely well respected and would have been a fantastic hire.
Completely agree. My wife is a bando from the early/mid 1990s. I remember the combined shows with UD, etc. Did Heidi apply ? I can't imagine they would have passed her over. I think Hannum applied, and maybe Heidi didn't want to compete with him?
Both Hannum and Heidi applied. From what I gather, the administration wanted to go in a different direction with the band because they weren't always happy with how GNP was operating. I was only a few years removed from my UMMB days when the decision was made, and had plenty of friends, and even a cousin, who were in the room during all the auditions. The general consensus at the time was that no one understood why Heidi or Thom didn't get the job.
That’s what my wife heard as well. I just checked in with her. They might not have liked what GNP was doing at times but he was the main reason for butts in the seats many years.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8078
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by 78 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Old Cage wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm
krkess wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pmI love when the band plays something that shows the sheer power they are capable of. The 1812 overture at the ODU game was nothing short of amazing.
+1

Probably only amazing for those of us smart enough to sit on the press box side. :)
+2. That was amazing...
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Old Cage wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm
krkess wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pmI love when the band plays something that shows the sheer power they are capable of. The 1812 overture at the ODU game was nothing short of amazing.
+1

Probably only amazing for those of us smart enough to sit on the press box side. :)
Still makes no sense to face that way. Band should play to the home side of the field. I get that press box side used to be the home side. I sat there for ten years. They can put cameras anywhere they want. Playing to the press box is really playing to the Chancellor’s box.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6248
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Old Cage » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am

^ Once again, its all about the Benjamins. I would suggest that the band donation $$ sitting on the press box side (band parents and especially older alums - dwarf the dollars sitting on the far side. The band is playing to the correct side.

Home side or not, we sat in the sun one season, and that was enough of that. Many others did the same and are now back in our original seats.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Post Reply