Conference realignment 3.0

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: Conference realignment 3.0

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:11 am

kdogg8173 wrote:If we should be blaming a guy it's McCutcheon, he's the villian in all of this.
In an ultimate sense, this is true. The buck stops at the top. I still think Molnar owns some of the things he did and bears some responsibility for his off-field actions that led to his demise. He did recruit some good players, but he proved to be a lousy coach and it's apparent he had lost the confidence of the players and donors when they let him go. Much of that is on McCutcheon for hiring him, but I don't let Molnar totally off the hook, he could have handled things better.

At this stage that's history, but I think McCutcheon, Morris and Molnar have all had an impact on the course of the past five seasons, and all deserve some blame for making a difficult transition even more difficult. We're coming to a point now where that is not an issue anymore. I think we already saw last season some steadying and improvement. It didn't translate into W's, but you can see the foundations being laid. I'm really hoping that translates into some wins next season, which I see as a season of opportunity. So I'm not obsessed with laying blame for the past. It was what it was, and it was hard to live through as a fan, but there's no reason to deny that it happened.

I'm turning my attention to the future, and despite the difficulties I still believe we can achieve success at this level. Whether we do it or not remains to be seen.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:05 am

stevemaz wrote:Since this is the realignment thread, lets bring It back.. My gut tells me that with the emergence of our hoops team, the AAC is going to add Umass in all sports next Spring which will move that league ahead of the A10. Obviously, it is still possible Big 12 brings back expansion talk (I actually think there wont be talk just a sudden announcement) and that could open a spot for Umass. Even if that doesn't happen I can see AAC adding Umass and then BYU or Army for FB only.
13-14 member league? If no realignment from big 12.

Tman1319
Junior

Post by Tman1319 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:35 am

kdogg8173 wrote:
Tman1319 wrote:
kdogg8173 wrote:Yes, you're missing Anthony Gurley. So 2 very good starters 2 years after he left is leaving the cupboard bare? That's absurd. He also had Lynch who had a promising first year leave the team. Even Gibbs could have turned into something under different circumstances, who knows.
Sorry I missed him, but you cant say 2 very good starters is leaving much. Didn't Lynch leave because of academics? 2/13 scholarship players that were above bottom replacement player is bare. The last recruiting class was a JOKE. To call it anything else is absurd.
You're expecting a coach to leave a fully stocked roster 2 years after he left? Not to mention that year had Vinson, Farrell etc so saying only 2/13 players were above d-1 players is just not accurate. Also not sure what Ford has to do with lynch leaving 2 years later. He was still a good player available to DK. Also I'd take Matt glass over Hasim bailey and Doug Wiggins every time.

The larger point remains that the Umass fanbase is obsessed with blaming previous coaches. Kevin Morris has no bearing on how the team is shaped up presently. If we should be blaming a guy it's McCutcheon, he's the villian in all of this.
Fully stocked, not at all. more than two servicable players, yes. DK's recruits have nothing to do with what was left over. 2 a10 starter level players from 3 classes is unacceptable.

Lynch averaging 3 and 3 is serviceable.

I'll take a chance on all the Doug Wiggins'...the program doesn't have a history of attracting top talent. Matt Glass was a nice player in the American East.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:24 pm

So what's good then for a new coach completely changing the style of play to have? Half the roster, a 3rd? I think having one of the greatest scorers in umass history and a guy who finished 3rd in the league his senior year is a good start. If you think lynch going for 3 and 3.7 as a freshman is no more than a serviceable player What are your thoughts on greshan and Baldwin. Matt glass could and did shoot here and at UVM. If you didn't think he was "serviceable" you didn't watch many games.

Last thing I'll say on it but my issue is it's always just an excuse for DKs struggles to blame the roster. If DK didn't turn over the roster to run his dumb DDM then they don't clear up spots to get the Vinson class so pick the poison. There were players to work with, it was his call for the roster make up.

Tman1319
Junior

Post by Tman1319 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:50 pm

kdogg8173 wrote:So what's good then for a new coach completely changing the style of play to have? Half the roster, a 3rd? I think having one of the greatest scorers in umass history and a guy who finished 3rd in the league his senior year is a good start. If you think lynch going for 3 and 3.7 as a freshman is no more than a serviceable player What are your thoughts on greshan and Baldwin. Matt glass could and did shoot here and at UVM. If you didn't think he was "serviceable" you didn't watch many games.

Last thing I'll say on it but my issue is it's always just an excuse for DKs struggles to blame the roster. If DK didn't turn over the roster to run his dumb DDM then they don't clear up spots to get the Vinson class so pick the poison. There were players to work with, it was his call for the roster make up.
We are not going to agree on this based purely in our belief on the value of that recruiting class.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:50 am

Wow did this go off the rails. Let me restate this...

If IV is going to give molnar a pass (and not want to pick on the poor guy!!) he must also not rail on Ford. It was a similar argument.

Molnar "left Whip" with a team that would not have competed in the CAA....

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:15 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
stevemaz wrote:Since this is the realignment thread, lets bring It back.. My gut tells me that with the emergence of our hoops team, the AAC is going to add Umass in all sports next Spring which will move that league ahead of the A10. Obviously, it is still possible Big 12 brings back expansion talk (I actually think there wont be talk just a sudden announcement) and that could open a spot for Umass. Even if that doesn't happen I can see AAC adding Umass and then BYU or Army for FB only.
12 members for all sports, which makes mores sense than 11 and then two fb only's Navy and Army or BYU

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:45 am

stevemaz wrote:
minutefanjsf wrote:
12 members for all sports, which makes mores sense than 11 and then two fb only's Navy and Army or BYU

Two words.....

PIPE

DREAM

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:27 am

eldonabe wrote:Wow did this go off the rails. Let me restate this...

If IV is going to give molnar a pass (and not want to pick on the poor guy!!) he must also not rail on Ford. It was a similar argument.

Who gave Molnar a pass? I just said there's little reason to completely shit on the guy and he'll likely be fine as the OC south of us. You made Molnar out to be the second coming of Lucifer and I accurately pointed out that Morris is the one we should be pointing the finger at.

Molnar inherited a team that couldn't compete in the CAA, nevermind 1A/MAC. He left Whipple a team that would have been fine at CAA/1AA. Connecting Molnar to Ford, and misrepresenting what I said here and have said in the past about each, is beyond a stretch.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:58 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
eldonabe wrote:Wow did this go off the rails. Let me restate this...

Who gave Molnar a pass? I just said there's little reason to completely shit on the guy and he'll likely be fine as the OC south of us. You made Molnar out to be the second coming of Lucifer and I accurately pointed out that Morris is the one we should be pointing the finger at.

Molnar inherited a team that couldn't compete in the CAA, nevermind 1A/MAC. He left Whipple a team that would have been fine at CAA/1AA. Connecting Molnar to Ford, and misrepresenting what I said here and have said in the past about each, is beyond a stretch.

Molnar sucked (for Umass)..... period. He was the wrong guy for the job and never should have been our HC.

The AD fucked that one up because he was sold on the exact thing that Molnar did 100% wrong ..... Molnar is most guilty of coming in here and NOT reading his audience before he opened his mouth. I get what he was trying to do with the "Big Boy Football" talk, but it was just not the way to go about it in good old Amherst Mass.... That was his first mistake and the few that followed were a waterfall from this one.

You don't stroll into "Everyone Gets a Trophy University" and start out of the gates with tough-guy talk. It does not sit well with the peace-niks here in the Pioneer Valley. Molnar was very "Trumpian" in his approach and we all know how we feel about that around here don't we. Just to clarify, I DO NOT think Umass is "everyone gets a trophy" I am referring to the fan base......

I think if it was down south Molnar would have been able to rally the masses with that schtick.... not here though.

He is not the answer for UConn either for some/many of the same reasons. I was never a huge fan of his from day one (and not because of his Trumpian approach) - he just never seemed like the right guy to me; now that he is with those pussies down in Storrs, I hope he does not do a good job for UConn and Umass beats the shit out his offense every chance they get.....

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 am

^

Where was that post days ago?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Will you two quit? Molnar sucks, UCon sucks. Perfect fit. End of story.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:50 pm

stevemaz wrote:
minutefanjsf wrote:
Let's forget that Football drives the bus in every FBS conference and say that our hoop team continues it's upswing.

Perhaps there is a 20% chance the AAC would consider a UMass Olympic sports offer giving them 12 teams and balanced divisions.

That 20% goes up if we win the A10 tourney and shoots above 50% if we win a game or two in the big dance.

Of course we'd want an affiliation for Football, fill the 2018 team with an AAC team and 4 for 2019. A bowl connection and a very big conditional invite if they loss a team.

It is the holiday season and would certainly put this on my wish list.
Go UMass!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:21 am

I would take an invite to AAC and only a guarantee of 4 games in 2019 and then 6 games from thereafter from AAC teams for football. That would make scheduling doable.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:42 am

I would take an invite to anywhere with whatever scheduling restrictions they gave us.