Times they are a changin

Get ready for some MACtion
rayers
Senior

Times they are a changin

Post by rayers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 am

It really struck me today that there is so much media and social network coverage of UMass sports. When I was a student and new alum in the 70's and 80's I would literally run to the corner store on Thursday and Friday to catch a paragraph or even a whole article about UMass football. Even though we had some really good teams and great players, the media coverage was sparse and if not for the Springfield it would have been pretty much nonexistent. What we have now is amazing by comparison! The media and social network coverage makes it all the more possible that we will make our mark and be recognized as a player in all aspects of University rankings. For those if you younger than 40, I wish you could imagine how much the coverage and publicity have dramatically improved and how much this improves our ability to engage our students, alums, and folks of the Commonwealth. We are on the cusp of great things. We are on the cusp of recognition for our excellence as a world class university. Hang in there UMies and UMass fans...the best days are ahead. We will battle BC on Sat but even if we don't win the numbers game, we will win the war. As New Englanders we recognize that the Revolutionary war was won because of perseverance and toughness and certainly not because we were the best equipped or trained. It is the Minutemen against a different group of young men who are loyal to a different leadership against the Commonwealth. It is a great time to be a Massachusetts alum, fan, or resident. This Saturday we stick our bayonets in OUR Gillette turf and say as our forefathers did over 250 years ago, represent and "Kick BC butt until there are no whites of their eyes."