Possibly Dad is a little over the top....

Get ready for some MACtion
LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 pm

^ I ran into parents like that when my kids were in high school.

Some are obnoxious...adding unnecessary pressure on their kids as they live vicariously through them.

Others however are just being good parents doing what they can to enhance their kids' chances of getting scholarships, be they DI or D II, to help off set the ridiculous cost of getting a college education.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:27 pm

78 wrote:This guy reminds me of so many parents I see with kids in youth sports or playing in high school, except on steroids. I cannot tell you how many parents tell me that they really think their son/daughter has a great chance at a D1 scholarship, etc. etc. etc. It really is hard not to laugh right in their faces. So many parents have become monsters when it comes to their kids and sports. It is absolutely ludicrous and so many of them are unpleasant to be around.
Well they see their kid "dominate" the other local kids and they think Oh Yeah!!!! Schoalrship Baby! Even these ridiculous camps draw a fraction of the kids getting actual scholarships. So the kid is the best in town and one of the best in some camp... Whoopdee-doo

Unfortunately "Perspective" is wasted on nobody, because very few people actually have any.....

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:31 pm

There's 3 pages on this? Who the hell cares about some overbearing dad tweeting about his kid to a bunch of college coaches (and at least one umasshoops.com poster).

The one post that stuck out to me was someone saying kids shouldn't play organized sports until 14 (aka freshman year of high school). That is ludicrous. So kids should just develop bad habits and not have any structure to their game until high school? I care a lot more about that premise and how ludicrous it is than a dad tweeting the world about his above average 12 year old son.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:44 pm

MJatUM wrote:There's 3 pages on this? Who the hell cares about some overbearing dad tweeting about his kid to a bunch of college coaches (and at least one umasshoops.com poster).

The one post that stuck out to me was someone saying kids shouldn't play organized sports until 14 (aka freshman year of high school). That is ludicrous. So kids should just develop bad habits and not have any structure to their game until high school? I care a lot more about that premise and how ludicrous it is than a dad tweeting the world about his above average 12 year old son.
Well it would take care of kids leaving early - maybe he is on to something.... :roll:

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 pm

MJatUM wrote:The one post that stuck out to me was someone saying kids shouldn't play organized sports until 14 (aka freshman year of high school). That is ludicrous. So kids should just develop bad habits and not have any structure to their game until high school?
The U.S. of A. was not a lesser place when there were no organized sports until junior high.

"Structure to their game" is a good thing? Questionable. Having fun with no adult supervision? Absolutely.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:53 pm

My kids play sports and have fun, learn a lot, and get better. They also play in the neighborhood, "unsupervised". And seem to have fun doing that, until the inevitable argument about someone not playing fair. Which is fine, too. Just another teaching moment.

It's not one or the other, and organized sports are not evil. There are people who suck ass at being parents, and you just need to deal with it. Part of being a good parent. Can't shelter them from the bad forever, or even for long, these days.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 am

Old Cage wrote:
MJatUM wrote:The one post that stuck out to me was someone saying kids shouldn't play organized sports until 14 (aka freshman year of high school). That is ludicrous. So kids should just develop bad habits and not have any structure to their game until high school?
The U.S. of A. was not a lesser place when there were no organized sports until junior high.

"Structure to their game" is a good thing? Questionable. Having fun with no adult supervision? Absolutely.
I've always been a fan of kids getting together and playing on their own but there seems to be less and less of that nowadays. I'm not some old fart either, I'm 33 years old and my fondest memories were getting together with buddies on every summer day and playing 10 straight hours of baseball, basketball, etc. with no parents around. It taught self discipline, organizational skills, important social skills and was a way to learn to take care of yourself without your parents watching over you. It taught self sufficiency and we didn't even know it at the time since we were just having fun being kids. We'd even ride a couple miles on our bikes to the local convenience store for some candy. A lot of parents would be aghast to let their 12 year olds do that nowadays. Another example is that my cousin constantly has her 8 and 10 years olds playing organized sports and they have almost no free time and when they do they have scheduled "play dates", I abhor that word!

Less structure and more free time to play would do us all of our kids some good.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 am

To each their own I suppose.. I'm only 26, with no kids, but I played organized sports year round growing up. When I wasn't at a practice or at a game, I was playing pick up with friends.

Organized sports does not "ruin childhoods" or any of that nonsense. Since this is a football thread, I will stick with football. If we're saying kids should be playing pickup football on their own, you're going to have kids leading with their heads trying to tackle, developing poor mechanics (throwing, catching, holding the football while running the list goes on and on)..

It is good for the kids to learn to do things the correct way. Not every child has great parents that can teach them how to properly throw a baseball, shoot a basketball, ice skate, you name it.. Kids need to learn the basics and then apply them on their off time from practice and games.

The less and less pickup games being played is more a factor of kids staying inside to watch tv or play video games than it has to do with organization.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am

MJatUM wrote: The less and less pickup games being played is more a factor of kids staying inside to watch tv or play video games than it has to do with organization.
Perfect response and summary statement - you can end this thread now!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Re: Possibly Dad is a little over the top....

Post by njumass08 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Looks like our little guy is getting some national attention.

http://deadspin.com/the-two-best-and-on ... 1686087644
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 pm

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Only three more years until Whipple has him on the roster.
Freshman has an arm and looks like he knows what he's doing out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZnle0yS8s

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 am

I love the deadspin write up:

Pros: Accurate, stays light on his feet in the pocket. Cons: Has a well-documented Capri-Sun problem, will get distracted on the field if a defender yells "Poo-poo" or "pee-pee."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hi-Fucking-larious....

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re:

Post by Floyd » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Quann wrote: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 am
Old Cage wrote:

I've always been a fan of kids getting together and playing on their own but there seems to be less and less of that nowadays. I'm not some old fart either, I'm 33 years old and my fondest memories were getting together with buddies on every summer day and playing 10 straight hours of baseball, basketball, etc. with no parents around. It taught self discipline, organizational skills, important social skills and was a way to learn to take care of yourself without your parents watching over you. It taught self sufficiency and we didn't even know it at the time since we were just having fun being kids. We'd even ride a couple miles on our bikes to the local convenience store for some candy. A lot of parents would be aghast to let their 12 year olds do that nowadays. Another example is that my cousin constantly has her 8 and 10 years olds playing organized sports and they have almost no free time and when they do they have scheduled "play dates", I abhor that word!

Less structure and more free time to play would do us all of our kids some good.
Quann, never mind riding a bicycle a few miles. Take a look at the little chubbies at the every house bus stops. Kids don't walk 20 yards to consolidate a bus pickup, too far. And I'm not talking little kids. High school kids. Christ if you lived within 2 miles of the school, you had to walk when I was a kid, and that was starting in first grade. Open the door, get a little pat on the back, and a "see ya after school". We all walked together. Our little wolf pack. Everybody was all elbows and knees, not many fat kids
Time to Win

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:26 pm

:D :D :D
Just getting some closure on this old thread for those of you who were wondering.

https://stonybrookathletics.com/sports/ ... ryden/7165

The kid winds up at Stony Brook. Looks like he didn't get any PT this season. Wonder what would have been if Whip was still here? :) :D

BTW, Stony Brook won at Maine this year. Just Sayin'