Whipple is BACK

Get ready for some MACtion
TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Re: Whipple is BACK

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:09 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:24 am Interesting situation for Whipple now. I wonder if he took the job with the thought that if Frost does get canned, he might be in line to move into the HC role.
They eat their young …..a Cornhusker alum fires a Cornhusker alum……what qualified HC in their right mind would want that job?

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:37 pm

One that thinks he can win more than 34% of their games.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:06 pm

Uminuteman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:37 pm One that thinks he can win more than 34% of their games.
There have been four (4) coaches at Nebraska since Tom Osborne left after the 1997 season.
Frank Solich had a winning percentage of .753
Bill Callahan had a winning percentage of .551.
Bo Pelini had a winning percentage of.713
Mike Riley had a winning percentage of .500

All of these had the same fate as Scott Frost, so you might want to adjust your parameters about what it takes to stay on as HC of UNebraska Football.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Tough to live up to the precedent that Tom Osborne set back in the 90s. Guy is a living legend.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 am

Matt Rhule is hired as the new coach at Nebraska and that means that Whipple is as good as gone…

Co-HC/OC at UMass?

Let’s make it happen.

Bay Area UMie
Sophomore

Post by Bay Area UMie » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 am Matt Rhule is hired as the new coach at Nebraska and that means that Whipple is as good as gone…

Co-HC/OC at UMass?

Let’s make it happen.
Whipple has a two-year deal @$900k per through 2023 as OC at Nebraska. If Rhule looks elsewhere, than Whipple has a nice severance to sit back and wait for the right offer. Doubtful he is heading back to Amherst as an OC given the disastrous state of our program.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 pm

Bay Area UMie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm
inthescoop wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 am Matt Rhule is hired as the new coach at Nebraska and that means that Whipple is as good as gone…

Co-HC/OC at UMass?

Let’s make it happen.
Whipple has a two-year deal @$900k per through 2023 as OC at Nebraska. If Rhule looks elsewhere, than Whipple has a nice severance to sit back and wait for the right offer. Doubtful he is heading back to Amherst as an OC given the disastrous state of our program.
Said this before…Whip can get years off service in MA pension at the expense of Nebraska….he is vested but get a bigger percent every year he works in MA. It is not crazy to think he might come back.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 pm
Bay Area UMie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm

Co-HC/OC at UMass?

Let’s make it happen.
Said this before…Whip can get years off service in MA pension at the expense of Nebraska….he is vested but get a bigger percent every year he works in MA. It is not crazy to think he might come back.
It seems crazy to think that Whipple would return in any capacity as long as RB is the AD. That said we could obviously use a great QB Coach & QB recruiter like Whipple.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:30 am

DK is the kind of guy to put things in the past and look forward.. Not sure Whip is that guy. Anyway.. no matter who it is, gonna have to pay more than 250k a year.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 am

I've been of the mindset that Will Watson would eventually end up at Umass. I felt like he wouldn't get a chance to play at Nebraska and after a year of sitting on the bench he'd come back home. After what happened the past few days...Frost and Whipple getting let go by Nebraska, I'm now convinced he won't stay. By all accounts, he chose Nebraska to play for Whipple...if Bamford could convince him to come back and be OC or QB coach, Watson might not even go to Nebraska. I was talking to the parent of one of Centrals players and he told me that it was a lot closer than people realized that he was going to choose Umass over Nebraska, but the Whipple connection is ultimately what made him stick with them. Should be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:15 am

RB.. tell Whip you're sorry and have learned a lot over the last few years.. let Nebraska pay Whip for next year and then pay him 500k plus for the following years.. If Whip came here ( really doubt he would ) and with the portal we would win at least 5 games next year.. if Casula stays.. 1 or 2.. who's coming here to play for Casula??

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:01 am

Music to my ears.. all culminating in a UMass SB win on Oct 12, 2024 as the team moves to 7-0 and its first ever top 25 ranking

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:47 am

TheInsider wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:15 am RB.. tell Whip you're sorry and have learned a lot over the last few years.. let Nebraska pay Whip for next year and then pay him 500k plus for the following years.. If Whip came here ( really doubt he would ) and with the portal we would win at least 5 games next year.. if Casula stays.. 1 or 2.. who's coming here to play for Casula??

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:29 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 am I've been of the mindset that Will Watson would eventually end up at Umass. I felt like he wouldn't get a chance to play at Nebraska and after a year of sitting on the bench he'd come back home. After what happened the past few days...Frost and Whipple getting let go by Nebraska, I'm now convinced he won't stay. By all accounts, he chose Nebraska to play for Whipple...if Bamford could convince him to come back and be OC or QB coach, Watson might not even go to Nebraska. I was talking to the parent of one of Centrals players and he told me that it was a lot closer than people realized that he was going to choose Umass over Nebraska, but the Whipple connection is ultimately what made him stick with them. Should be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.
No way Matt Rhule is starting a true freshman qb from MA. DB needs to go all in on this kid. He would easily start for us next year.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:42 am

Camby4Life wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:29 am
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 am I've been of the mindset that Will Watson would eventually end up at Umass. I felt like he wouldn't get a chance to play at Nebraska and after a year of sitting on the bench he'd come back home. After what happened the past few days...Frost and Whipple getting let go by Nebraska, I'm now convinced he won't stay. By all accounts, he chose Nebraska to play for Whipple...if Bamford could convince him to come back and be OC or QB coach, Watson might not even go to Nebraska. I was talking to the parent of one of Centrals players and he told me that it was a lot closer than people realized that he was going to choose Umass over Nebraska, but the Whipple connection is ultimately what made him stick with them. Should be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.
No way Matt Rhule is starting a true freshman qb from MA. DB needs to go all in on this kid. He would easily start for us next year.
agree 100%!!! Central is about to win their 4th straight State Championship and by all accounts the future is even brighter - Umass needs to start building a pipeline - this would be a great start