Whipple is BACK

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:48 pm

It better turn into his style hahaha. Keep Sollazzo and put him on TV. :lol:

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Marty Peretz wrote:... Will be interesting to see much he goes out and promotes the program. Doesn't seem like his style, but who knows.
Seems to me that Charley Molnar showed that the only way to market this program is to win. Whip knows how to build a winner. Hope he does it.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:54 pm

Bueno97 wrote:I have been a supporter of CM and really think he got a raw deal in this whole thing. He had people calling for him to be fired almost from the start and was never given a chance to succeed. I also think the petition was an embarrassment to the university and the ends do not justify the means. However, it was clear by the end of the season that his players had given up on him and once that happens it is time to move on.
Having said all that, Whipple is the perfect guy for the job. He always has been. They should have moved heaven and earth to get him the first time around, but what matters now is that he's the guy. I just hope that everyone's expectations are realistic. We probably will not beat BC to open the season and will not average 25,000 fans this year (that will always be tough to do playing three games in a 17k seat stadium). We may only win a few games, but Whipple deserves an opurtunity to bring in his recruits and implement his schemes. This is a very exciting hire and I expect big things soon, just probably not as soon as some are going to unrealistically expect.
This summarizes how I feel very well. Molnar certainly made mistakes and was largely the architect of his own downfall. But I wasn't any happier with that petition than I was with some of the remarks and actions Molnar made that got people so riled up, and agree that the ends didn't justify the means in that regard. I also agree that the players, and clearly the University administration had lost confidence in Molnar, so in the end the switch was the right thing. I just wish it hadn't gotten so publicly ugly.

I'm also happy to have Whipple back. He was my first thought as coach when we announced the FBS move, and I also wonder why we didn't do more to try and land him two years ago. I've heard he wasn't even spoken with about the job at that time, is that true?

I do believe Molnar left the program with some solid recruits and that Whipple will have some resources to work with this season, though I have no lofty expectations of 1-11 to a bowl game. I just want to see us establish an identity and some consistency and systems that we can build on from year to year. Whipple has shown he can do that.

The question mark in my mind about Whipple is recruiting. The fairly recent stint in Miami aside, he's been in the pros for eight of the last 10 years. I hope he still has the contacts to identify and attract good recruits. But that will just have to work itself out. There's little question in my mind that Whipple was the right hire at this time for the program, and I hope this silences some of the noise for a bit and gives us a chance to get on more solid footing in the MAC and FBS.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:20 pm

I agree with Bueno and Rolling Ridge. I liked Molnar's enthusiasm, which I felt was genuine, and I'm not totally convinced he couldn't have worked out in the end, but for multiple reasons already mentioned, the change had to bemade.

I'm not too concerned about Whipple's ability to recruit, especially if he surrounds himself with guys who are also capable recruiters. Keeping a guy like Sollazzo on staff would go a long way towards that and could make for a seamless transition this recruiting cycle.

Sam Minuteman
Junior

Post by Sam Minuteman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 pm

DEM wrote:Keeping a guy like Sollazzo on staff would go a long way towards that and could make for a seamless transition this recruiting cycle.
^^ THIS!! I really hope Whip is able to put a good staff together with a mix of coaches that can coach and coaches that can recruit!
UConn girls are........................... Huskies!!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Sam Minuteman wrote:
DEM wrote:]I'm not too concerned about Whipple's ability to recruit, especially if he surrounds himself with guys who are also capable recruiters. Keeping a guy like Sollazzo on staff would go a long way towards that and could make for a seamless transition this recruiting cycle.
^^ THIS!! I really hope Whip is able to put a good staff together with a mix of coaches that can coach and coaches that can recruit!
Good to hear this. I noticed in some of the Twitter remarks the players were keen to retain Sollazzo and other staff, so I also hope this happens and that they can help in recruiting. Despite the transition, some continuity might be good for the program, and Sollazzo at a minimum seems to be a keeper.

Really hoping for the best as we move forward!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Here is some stuff I overheard standing out in the hallway during halftime. Supposedly Whip is going to bring in Marsella (? ? spell ?) who was his defensive co-ordinator for a couple of years and left to be head coach at Fordham also Liam Cohen, Marcell Shipp and maybe his son who is at Pittsburgh but he will need a waver so he don't get charged with nepotism. He is supposed to meet individually with the remaining coaches to see if he wants to keep any of them and also with each player to see how they will fit in. Also he is trying to convince a fifth year QB to come but has competition from another school.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Grad student QB transfer - that could be Tyler Murphy. I can't think of any others.

saint0917bro

Post by saint0917bro » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:42 pm

From The Scoop.

Tom Masella to be new Defensive Coordinator
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

He was the DC at UMASS from 2002 to 2003...

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:57 pm

BUMPA wrote:
Sharksrule04 wrote:Isn't McGuirk now going to fit 22-25K?
No.
The press box and team facility are the only updates at the moment correct?

Any idea when the press conference will be?
Hire Matt McCall!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:00 pm

^ ^

Later upgrade. Close in the end zone where the scoreboard is located.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm trying to remember Whipple's main recruiting areas. Jersey seems to come to mind as a strong area, but some of you likely know better.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 pm

I've made my thoughts on Whipple coaching us again abundantly clear for going on a decade now, but I can't help but gush again....this is the best possible situation for us, and we will realize whatever potential our program has at the FBS level under Whip. We may find out that we don't have much potential, but with Whip at the helm we will get everything we possibly can out of this program, and IMO we will succeed within the MAC under his leadership.

Whip's offense is just tremendous. It's wide open and innovative, but out of pro sets - none of the rinky-dink, sideways read-option bullshit that everyone wants to run now. Whip is an offensive guru because he knows how to design and run a system based around sound blocking schemes, innovative route combinations and well-designed plays - not because he wants to get tricky and weird with formations and gadgets and option football. He will also bring in serious competition at the quarterback position right away - skilled transfers who may be backups at bigger programs a la Jeff Krohn, but know they can make a name for himself under Whip's tutelage.

Honestly, I can't say enough about how exciting this is for our program. If UMass football has the potential to be legitimate, then we are about to become legitimate.
saint0917bro wrote:From The Scoop.

Tom Masella to be new Defensive Coordinator
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

He was the DC at UMASS from 2002 to 2003...
Great hire. Aggressive defense centered around athleticism. Not aggressive, blitz-off-the-bus like Brown, but he will have us respectable on that side of the ball. Became HC at Central CT after Whipple left us for the Steelers, then coached Fordham for 4-5 years. Nice guy too.
harbo wrote:I'm trying to remember Whipple's main recruiting areas. Jersey seems to come to mind as a strong area, but some of you likely know better.
Another one of the reasons why many of us have always sung Whip's praises - he knows the right formula to recruit at UMass. Recruit the major East Coast hotbeds - Florida, Tidewater VA, Jersey, PA - for the guys who get lost in the shuffle of all the major programs who scour those areas. With all the talent in those places, the "leftover" guys are guys you can build a program around. Then, scour the country for QBs who may be in search of a transfer for a shot at a job or a fresh start, and have them compete with guys you develop on your own. Whip will be back beating the bushes in all of his old haunts by the start of the week, guaranteed.
BUMPA wrote: You are one jaded dude.

saint0917bro

Post by saint0917bro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:08 am

Two more assistant coaches announced

From the Scoop:
UMass: Sources tell us two assistants will be leaving Brown University to join Whipple's staff. Brown quarterbacks coach Liam Coen will come in the same capacity and defensive line coach Neil McGrath will come in the same capacity as well.

Of course we all know who Coen is. McGrath worked with Whipple at UMASS in 1999 to which UMASS was first in defense in the A-10.

What does this mean for coach Sollazzo?

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 am

Definitely not good for Sollazzo. Maybe they keep him as a Quality Control coach, or something else along those lines?

Possibly move him to another position?

Awesome to have Liam back!!