More happiness with direction of football program

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:25 pm

You two didn't read that article carefully enough. Temple is cutting those sports to raise the budgets of all of their other remaining teams EXCEPT football. That is because all of their other sports were woefully short of their new conference's budget standards, apparently even in basketball.

Temple has had football since 1894, and has spent most of that time at the top division level (at least nominally). During that time they have sponsored well above the NCAA Division I average number of sports. They had 24 sports prior to these cuts while the FBS minimum is 16, and while some of our basketball-oriented A10 conference mates skirt close to the 14 sport Division I minimum. Temple could skate by with overextended sports in the A10 because nobody in the A10 takes non-revenue sports seriously except for us and Richmond, and maybe Dayton. The other A10 members pour all their money into "big boy" basketball at the expense of non-revenue sports. That's not the approach the AAC takes.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Does anyone know how many sports they have left? I can remember when UMass had 28 sports, I think, and now we are downto 21 ?.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Watching CH 4 Boston news and they just announced that BU is cancelling wrestling.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:22 pm

"Watching CH 4 Boston news and they just announced that BU is cancelling wrestling."

Clearly due to the exorbitant costs of their football program. :P

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm

21 is correct

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Temple has had the exact same number of football scholarships since 1992, when the number of football scholarships was REDUCED from 95 to 85, and the Temple athletic department has carried this lineup of 24 sports since 1986. You are suggesting that Temple has been out of Title IX compliance for almost 28 years, since the Reagan administration.

The more likely explanation for why more men's than women's sports were cut is that the men's sports were non-scholarship or limited scholarship. That would explain why they were so far below the rest of their conference in annual budgets. Also, the men's indoor and outdoor track teams involve all the same student-athletes, even though the NCAA counts indoor and outdoor as separate sports. Finally, women's rowing is much larger than any men's sport except football. Temple's women's rowing team had 60 members, and a much higher percentage of them were on scholarship compared to the men. It's 110 men in five (really four) sports vs. 83 women in two sports, and I guarantee you that the men had at least 27 non-scholarship players.

Temple will nevertheless continue to sponsor as many or more sports than every member of the anti-football, basketball-oriented, higher-revenue, lighter-travel Big East, except for Villanova and Georgetown. Probably not coincidentally, Nova and G'town play football. Apparently men's basketball is too expensive for anyone else in the Big East to sponsor more than 17 sports.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:32 am

ktabz16 wrote:
Jackman wrote:You two didn't read that article carefully enough. Temple is cutting those sports to raise the budgets of all of their other remaining teams EXCEPT football. That is because all of their other sports were woefully short of their new conference's budget standards, apparently even in basketball.

Temple has had football since 1894, and has spent most of that time at the top division level (at least nominally). During that time they have sponsored well above the NCAA Division I average number of sports. They had 24 sports prior to these cuts while the FBS minimum is 16, and while some of our basketball-oriented A10 conference mates skirt close to the 14 sport Division I minimum. Temple could skate by with overextended sports in the A10 because nobody in the A10 takes non-revenue sports seriously except for us and Richmond, and maybe Dayton. The other A10 members pour all their money into "big boy" basketball at the expense of non-revenue sports. That's not the approach the AAC takes.
the biggest cost of football is for the scholarships. this is why the other men's sports were cut and no women's programs were cut. you CANNOT stick your head in the sand and pretend that football had nothing to do with it.
Since when are softball and women's rowing men's sports? :shock: :? :roll:
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Chizzle
Senior

Post by Chizzle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 am

Sad to hear.... I have a former student who is currently on the Temple Gymnastics team. I wonder what he and his teammates decide to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahIErCDoKfk
"....I want to see our program be the UMass I know and love." - DK

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:41 am

I've done a lot of research in the past about these types of cuts and it almost always is because of poor management of the university as a whole than because of the football program. The football program is just the easy thing to blame.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Jackman, seeing your avatar photo of Steve Baylark in the cold of Missoula, I'm reminded that the famous win over Montana took place seven years ago tonight, 12/8/2006.

My favorite UMass football road trip ever, and it's not close.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

DirSport wrote:Jackman, seeing your avatar photo of Steve Baylark in the cold of Missoula, I'm reminded that the famous win over Montana took place seven years ago tonight, 12/8/2006.

My favorite UMass football road trip ever, and it's not close.
Great memories...I was watching from my apartment in Little Rock, jealous that I couldn't be there with you all. One of the great UMass games of all time.
BUMPA wrote: You are one jaded dude.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

That game was so much fun. We got a HUGE group of people over to McMurphy's to watch it and every time we scored, a dollar was pumped into the jukebox and The Hey song was played. A great atmosphere!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:01 pm

DirSport wrote: My favorite UMass football road trip ever, and it's not close.
I'm shocked that our afternoon in Carbondale the following year doesn't top your list, though :wink:
BUMPA wrote: You are one jaded dude.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 pm

You'll get over it Shades. :) Great to see you at SIU after a number of years. Their basketball team's game vs. #15 Indiana that night was the real campus highlight; sadly the football didn't get good until UMass was already down 34-13.

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:09 pm

All I remember from Montana is LOUD.

Speaking of our old friends the Grizzlies, they just hosted a playoff game against Coastal Carolina, despite a parent of a Coastal Carolina football player petitioning that the game be moved to a neutral field in a warmer climate because Montana is too cold to play football. Unfortunately, Montana still lost the game. Some might recall that Coastal Carolina is the place where a multimillionaire banking CEO bought out the previous head coach's contract so that he could become the head coach himself. Coastal Carolina's next opponent is defending champion North Dakota State, which just lost its head coach to FBS Wyoming today, less than a week before the quarterfinals. Things are getting real mickey mouse down in that subdivision.