Get ready for some MACtion
Berkman
Hall of Fame

McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Berkman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm

I think this needs its separate thread.

Construction has started.

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m- ... 13aae.html
Last edited by Berkman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I hope they install diaper changing tables in the men's bathroom even though I probably won't need it by the time the upgrade is complete. However, having at least one child in diapers over the last decade I can sympathize with the UMass fan who has a very young family.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:54 pm

^

Ya know, at first I chuckled at that, but when you sit back and think about it, little details like that are very important. I highly encourage you to write an email to the contractor or the football program and make that suggestion. We need to ensure that this helps make the experience as great as possible for everyone, and a good experience will encourage more people to come back to games in the future.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:13 pm

I would send an e-mail to the AD. Not only install the changing stations in the mens room but also the women's room. Women also comes to the games with young kids. After all we should have 21st century restroom facilities. I'll bet they never even thought of it. I waited until my kids were two years old before I started taking them to the games. come to think of it I have not seen any changing stations in Mullins but of course I have no need for them.

BUMPA
Sophomore

Post by BUMPA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 pm

..no where does it say, or imply these restrooms are for the seated public..

UMass1991
Junior

Post by UMass1991 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

interesting that the press box is "unattached". I am no engineer, but with it unattached, I wonder if that allows in the future, the stands on that side to expand up and out. Also, with the LEED certification, that should make the hacky sack crowd happy

BUMPA
Sophomore

Post by BUMPA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm

.."unattached".. is the key word Berk. That's how this is getting done at an affordable price. This is a brand new building, it's not "part" of McGuirk. It's a means of sidestepping all the onerous building codes ..like swapping deck chairs if you ask me.. but it works.

Now, the Press Box..that one confuses me..

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm

^ you answered your own question, I'm guessing if they attached the press box they would have to make the whole stadium ADA compliant at a high price.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:14 pm

Seeing millions spent on that old dump of a stadium still bothers me.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm

BUMPA wrote:..no where does it say, or imply these restrooms are for the seated public..

..no where does it say, or imply these restrooms are not for the seated public...

It's all wide open at this point.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Can we spell McGuirk right? I think that needs to be corrected.
Thanks!
Last edited by njumass08 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 pm

BUMPA wrote:.."unattached".. is the key word Berk. That's how this is getting done at an affordable price. This is a brand new building, it's not "part" of McGuirk. It's a means of sidestepping all the onerous building codes ..like swapping deck chairs if you ask me.. but it works.

One thing that I was told some time ago is that the seating would need to be compliant ie the stairs will have to have handrails installed which means that the stairways will have to be made 6" wider to allow for the handrails. Have no idea how this will be accomplished. Also I am under the impression that there will be public restrooms in the new building. Guess we will just have to wait and see when the building opens. Hope that we will be able to use the press box elevator to get to our seats in the upper part of the stadium. My season tickets are in row BB.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 am

Berkman wrote:... come to think of it I have not seen any changing stations in Mullins ....
Mullins has a built-in table near the sinks at one end in the restrooms (at least in the larger restrooms). In the club area at Gillette there are family restrooms that have nice changing tables and are great when you have to bring a couple little girls to the bathroom and also change the baby's diaper.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:40 am

Berkman wrote:
BUMPA wrote:.."unattached".. is the key word Berk. That's how this is getting done at an affordable price. This is a brand new building, it's not "part" of McGuirk. It's a means of sidestepping all the onerous building codes ..like swapping deck chairs if you ask me.. but it works.

One thing that I was told some time ago is that the seating would need to be compliant ie the stairs will have to have handrails installed which means that the stairways will have to be made 6" wider to allow for the handrails. Have no idea how this will be accomplished. Also I am under the impression that there will be public restrooms in the new building. Guess we will just have to wait and see when the building opens. Hope that we will be able to use the press box elevator to get to our seats in the upper part of the stadium. My season tickets are in row BB.
My guess would be no, since it won't be connected to the stands.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 am

The press box does nothing for fan comfort. It's to allow a Boston Globe intern to sit in a comfortable environment during a game while writing a story bashing us.