future scheduling talk

Get ready for some MACtion
Berkman
Hall of Fame

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by Berkman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:15 pm

I agree. We need less money games that we cannot win.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:26 pm

wmmmfan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:28 pm Curious what others think. I would like us to schedule games with JMU, ODU, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern in future years to go along with the MAC teams and UConn we have scheduled. There is history with these schools and since we don’t have conference rivals this would give the schedule a conference feel.
Won't happen until 2026 at the earliest:

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/umass/

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 am

New article on increased FBS travel and chances of visitors winning.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/co ... oad-games/
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:59 am

UMass put out a tweet hinting that the final game of 2022 is @UConn.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:11 am

I'm thinking at UConn would be either October 22nd or November 5th. They could do it on December 3rd. But that would be bitter cold.

Also I think that's conference championship weekend so not sure what timeslots they'd be able to get on CBS Sports. C-USA is on there, not sure what else.
Last edited by McKinney on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:19 am

McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:11 am I'm thinking at UConn would be either October 22nd or November 5th. They could do it on December 3rd. But that would be bitter cold.
Probably the 5th but I actually think it would be a great idea if the yearly game is the same weekend as Conference Championship weekend. You could have the game at 3:30 with only two or three other games going on nationally, and it would give both programs more scheduling flexibility and an extra bye.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:23 am

Yeah could be good exposure. And always nice to have a rivalry game last. I'd bundle up for it!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:29 am

shizzle787 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:19 am
McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:11 am I'm thinking at UConn would be either October 22nd or November 5th. They could do it on December 3rd. But that would be bitter cold.
Probably the 5th but I actually think it would be a great idea if the yearly game is the same weekend as Conference Championship weekend. You could have the game at 3:30 with only two or three other games going on nationally, and it would give both programs more scheduling flexibility and an extra bye.
Better yet, play it the same day as Army/NAVY. Talk about planting the flag.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Does anybody now which game is the Homecoming Game? Trying to plan around our homecoming and my wife's, which is in DC on the weekend of 10/29. I'm starting to fear a conflict since we're away the next 3 weeks.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:28 am

69MG wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:03 pm Does anybody now which game is the Homecoming Game? Trying to plan around our homecoming and my wife's, which is in DC on the weekend of 10/29. I'm starting to fear a conflict since we're away the next 3 weeks.
I believe it is the New Mexico State game, which is the 10/29 game.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:13 am

Do we really only have 8 games scheduled for 2023 with NMSU and Liberty finding conference all sports homes in CUSA.

Think it's BS saying we are trying to find a football conference home with one hand tied behind our backs.
Nobody wants a FB only in their conference unless their heads are against the wall or are very, very good win track record or have lots of cash.

Yes CUSA may consider us, but considering and taking us are worlds apart. Impatiently waiting.
Go UMass!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:20 pm

I" feel your pain," Steve.

I think we have a real shot at CUSA. That conference appears to be a serious mess. It might be the best place for us. The travel costs would be rough, however.

Wish we had some way of building a conference in the Northeast from scratch but I can't come up with 8 teams.

UMass
UConn
Temple
Buffalo
James Madison
Army
Navy
And add an FCS school is all I could think of...

The likelihood of this is probably close to 0%, but I can dream.
Refuse To Lose!!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:17 am

I think you are on the right track. I would like to see us get out of A10 and build new conference

UMass
Temple
Buffalo
Ohio
W Kentucky
Middle Tenn St
Dayton
Rhode Island
Saint Louis
Wichita State
VCU or Richmond

add UConn and Army for FB only.. maybe even Navy.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:30 am

IIRC an FBS conference must have 8 full members. In the two lists above I count 7? Maybe you call up W&M or something, but it'd require a waiver, because typically a call-up requires FBS conference sponsorship... which in this case doesn't exist with only 7 members. The non-football members and the football associate members are great. But I don't think they offset each other for eligibility.

The other requirement is that a certain number of schools (maybe 8?) have to have a certain amount of history (maybe 5 years?) playing each other in order to qualify for an NCAA bid. The MAC schools and A10 schools might fulfill that requirement.

There's also the matter of convincing FBS schools that are in good football leagues to join a new conference with UMass.
Convincing A-10 schools to leave a good basketball league to join an FBS conference where surely football will be a top priority.
Paying fees to leave the conference, establishing media and bowl ties, hiring conference administration...

Long shot doesn't begin to describe it. Unfortunately.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:46 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:30 am IIRC an FBS conference must have 8 full members. In the two lists above I count 7? Maybe you call up W&M or something, but it'd require a waiver, because typically a call-up requires FBS conference sponsorship... which in this case doesn't exist with only 7 members. The non-football members and the football associate members are great. But I don't think they offset each other for eligibility.

The other requirement is that a certain number of schools (maybe 8?) have to have a certain amount of history (maybe 5 years?) playing each other in order to qualify for an NCAA bid. The MAC schools and A10 schools might fulfill that requirement.

There's also the matter of convincing FBS schools that are in good football leagues to join a new conference with UMass.
Convincing A-10 schools to leave a good basketball league to join an FBS conference where surely football will be a top priority.
Paying fees to leave the conference, establishing media and bowl ties, hiring conference administration...

Long shot doesn't begin to describe it. Unfortunately.
Conf USA is in pretty rough shape with all the lawsuits etc. Still I'd rather be in CUSA than the A10. First thing that jumps out at me is the fact we're the only FBS school. I'd like to think we have outgrown St. Joe's and URI and Fordham.