2022 Game 4: Temple

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
Rolling Ridge
Junior
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pmKarma is a mean and heartless bitch and I truly believe that Molnar's actions are at the heart of it. You make many valid easy to see points and I agree with all of them; but for me, those are just the continuing Karma-symptoms of that Hump Umass football just cannot get over after that greased-back haired fuckhead set the table.
I wonder if there's money in the budget for an exorcist? :wink:

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:10 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pm
Rolling Ridge wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:44 pm
eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 amProbably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day... Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.
I agree Molnar was horrific from the get-go, but I don't lay the entirety of the blame for where we are now at his feet. McCutcheon hired him, when it was painfully obvious that he was a poor cultural fit, not to mention being smoke and mirrors when it came to coaching. So, McCutcheon bears some, if not perhaps more, of the blame.

But I think Whipple fully owned the reasons he was fired, both on and off the field. You could argue perhaps he didn't get the support from the University he needed to succeed, but that has nothing to do with Molnar. If anything, lack of support may have also contributed to Molnar's demise, but he was so awful it doesn't really matter. And Molnar had nothing to do with Bell being an absolutely atrocious football coach. I think we've had three failed coaching tenures, each unique in their own way, and until recently, constraints on the resources the coaches had that compounded their own failings.

It's a sad mess, but that's in the past now. Yeah, Brown has a big task righting this ship. It's looking right now that the path to stabilization will take longer than we'd all hoped. I don't know if he'll succeed or not, but I'm hoping he does and supporting the program, as I have since they moved up. But if he fails, I'll guarantee you I won't be saying, "Well, that's all Molnar's fault." That's ancient history at this point, and Brown will succeed or fail based on what he and the organization do during his tenure. If those are "Maroon-colored glasses," I give up.
Karma is a mean and heartless bitch and I truly believe that Molnar's actions are at the heart of it. You make many valid easy to see points and I agree with all of them; but for me, those are just the continuing Karma-symptoms of that Hump Umass football just cannot get over after that greased-back haired fuckhead set the table.
Molnar left an imprint that Whipple couldn’t remove easily for sure. It took Bell to get a “full” roster. That Bell roster however was full not because of the quality of players, just that enough players took the offers. Josiah Johnson’s indictment that many of Bell’s players didn’t play or care to win is the issue facing Brown. Different problem than what Whip inherited from Molnar, and possibly an easier fix for Brown. He knows talent better than Bell.

Sheck
Senior
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:13 am
Location: NH

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Sheck » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:37 pm

When Molnar took the job he looked like a great hire. A coordinator at a major program wanted to take the job and everyone wearing maroon colored glasses (including myself) thought he was going to turn UMass into Boise St - East. So perhaps the cultural fit stuff got overlooked. Ending that relationship after 2 years and bringing in Whipple was a really good move, but getting booted from the MAC and then having McCutcheon up and leave wasn't an easy situation. There were also talks of stadium upgrades that never ended up happening. Is it any wonder after Whipple that Walt Bell was the best they could do? We should be lucky to have Don Brown back and we're going to have to be patient.
There's always this year. #Flagship 🚩

User avatar
Cahoonaville
Senior
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:59 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:25 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:07 am
km109 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:06 pm They're going to have to hope for a huge LGBTQ turnout on Pride Day against Liberty or they'll have a hard time matching the Stony Brook attendance.
Northampton is nearby after all.....just saying.
I will be hosting a "Village People" Themed tailgate on LBGTQ Pride Day. All are welcome, near Gladchuk Field. I'll be dressed as a split between Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

cox'n
Junior
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:32 am
Location: Pioneer Valley

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by cox'n » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:08 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:25 am
Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:07 am
km109 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:06 pm They're going to have to hope for a huge LGBTQ turnout on Pride Day against Liberty or they'll have a hard time matching the Stony Brook attendance.
Northampton is nearby after all.....just saying.
I will be hosting a "Village People" Themed tailgate on LBGTQ Pride Day. All are welcome, near Gladchuk Field. I'll be dressed as a split between Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.
You didn't include IA+ with LBGTQ. I am reporting you for hate speech.

Sheck
Senior
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:13 am
Location: NH

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Sheck » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:25 pm

Is the IA for indifferent and apathetic? :lol:
There's always this year. #Flagship 🚩

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 pm

Sheck wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:37 pm When Molnar took the job he looked like a great hire. A coordinator at a major program wanted to take the job and everyone wearing maroon colored glasses (including myself) thought he was going to turn UMass into Boise St - East. So perhaps the cultural fit stuff got overlooked. Ending that relationship after 2 years and bringing in Whipple was a really good move, but getting booted from the MAC and then having McCutcheon up and leave wasn't an easy situation. There were also talks of stadium upgrades that never ended up happening. Is it any wonder after Whipple that Walt Bell was the best they could do? We should be lucky to have Don Brown back and we're going to have to be patient.
AMEN!!!! DB will finish out his 5 year contract: he's from Mass., he's old (65 or something) and this is it for him. I think DB was the best hire we could have made actually. Bell was a carpet bagger and a young guy who gladly took a FBS HC position. He never intended on staying very long anyway. Regardless of whether we win another game this season (and I think we get one more) don Brown has long term plans. He's not going anywhere; he's home.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:56 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pm
Rolling Ridge wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:44 pm
eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 amProbably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day... Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.
I agree Molnar was horrific from the get-go, but I don't lay the entirety of the blame for where we are now at his feet. McCutcheon hired him, when it was painfully obvious that he was a poor cultural fit, not to mention being smoke and mirrors when it came to coaching. So, McCutcheon bears some, if not perhaps more, of the blame.

But I think Whipple fully owned the reasons he was fired, both on and off the field. You could argue perhaps he didn't get the support from the University he needed to succeed, but that has nothing to do with Molnar. If anything, lack of support may have also contributed to Molnar's demise, but he was so awful it doesn't really matter. And Molnar had nothing to do with Bell being an absolutely atrocious football coach. I think we've had three failed coaching tenures, each unique in their own way, and until recently, constraints on the resources the coaches had that compounded their own failings.

It's a sad mess, but that's in the past now. Yeah, Brown has a big task righting this ship. It's looking right now that the path to stabilization will take longer than we'd all hoped. I don't know if he'll succeed or not, but I'm hoping he does and supporting the program, as I have since they moved up. But if he fails, I'll guarantee you I won't be saying, "Well, that's all Molnar's fault." That's ancient history at this point, and Brown will succeed or fail based on what he and the organization do during his tenure. If those are "Maroon-colored glasses," I give up.
Karma is a mean and heartless bitch and I truly believe that Molnar's actions are at the heart of it. You make many valid easy to see points and I agree with all of them; but for me, those are just the continuing Karma-symptoms of that Hump Umass football just cannot get over after that greased-back haired fuckhead set the table.
Totally agree but the Molnar debacle is going on 10 years ago. He is now a coach at some tiny school in Las Vegas, New Mexico, not the actual Las Vegas.

User avatar
jjmc85
Senior
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:34 am

eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 am
Probably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day 1. Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.
Molnar sucked. IMO worst coach UMass football has ever had. Had a lot more going for him than Bell did, on the field performances were equally bad, but Molnar was also embarrassing off the field too. Bell wasn’t stupid enough to have his starting QB box a teammate and get concussed. Molnar wins (loses?) the tie breaker as the worst coach.

That being said, it’s been almost 10 years. If the program is that fragile that coach can sink it for a decade after he leaves, what are we even doing any more?
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 16481
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:42 am

^

It's a Tie... Morris was just as bad. He may not have had kids box each other after practice, but he completely ruined a very good program.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4842
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:34 am

jjmc85 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:34 am
eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 am
Probably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day 1. Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.
Molnar sucked. IMO worst coach UMass football has ever had. Had a lot more going for him than Bell did, on the field performances were equally bad, but Molnar was also embarrassing off the field too. Bell wasn’t stupid enough to have his starting QB box a teammate and get concussed. Molnar wins (loses?) the tie breaker as the worst coach.

That being said, it’s been almost 10 years. If the program is that fragile that coach can sink it for a decade after he leaves, what are we even doing any more?

I know it has been 10 years, to me it is a very subtle thing. It is about the tone Molnar set from a reputation standpoint. A new FBS program is going to have growing pains... fine. Everyone knows that. But he/they were so inept - they became really toxic quickly and that stigma is what I am talking about. They are a perennial bottom 10 team without a conference to boot.

What kid (who can make a real difference) is going to want to come here with that reputation and history weighing this school down?

Like I said - they need a break - a really big break. It would be nice to get off the ESPN Bottom 10 list for a start.

Camby4Life
Senior
Posts: 1146
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 am
Location: South Boston

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Camby4Life » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:39 pm

Our offense couldn’t even score against a defense that just gave up 70. Not a good sign.

Post Reply