2022 Game 4: Temple

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4831
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by eldonabe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 am

tdmass wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 am ^^^^It's also Band Day for the Liberty game. That's another 3 to 4 thousand more!

Not good when there more fans in attendance for everything EXCEPT the football game.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am

Casula has to go. just a bad hire by DB. Reading his "bio": Ferris State, etc. analyst at MIchigan, please Coach Brown get rid of this guy. By the way, our defense especially our secondary is pretty damn good, like top 30. Mahoney and Boykin will have at least pro days/combine invites.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4168
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by TheInsider » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:29 am

To be fair, his Ferris state team scored like 50 a game and went to the national championship game.. but I agree with you something has to change. The players don't fit his scheme. Adjustments need to be made. We have the worst offense in FBS by a lot. Sucks because the D is actually pretty good

Online
User avatar
UMass'96
Senior
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:45 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:41 am
Ajmal wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:32 am Casula’s preseason interview about the quarterback room was all I needed to see to conclude we were in trouble. To lead by saying “they’re great kids” is a dead giveaway that it wasn’t good. To give each quarterback equal time was a dead giveaway that we had nobody. And THEN to spend the rest of the time saying that so-and-so can make every throw and so-and-so could play for any team in the country was just so insane.

The constant shuffling of quarterback has never worked and it’s definitely not working for us. I’d like to see Olson and then Campiotti as a Taysom Hill type if necessary.
My red flag with Casula's was when he was mic'd up and came across as a grab-ass assistant JV coach and not an FBS level O coordinator. I get it he was playing to the camera but still it gave me a red flag. I was hoping to be wrong but so far he's proven my intuition correct (darn!).
This was my light bulb moment as well.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

dennisdent
Senior
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:38 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:45 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:41 am
Ajmal wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:32 am Casula’s preseason interview about the quarterback room was all I needed to see to conclude we were in trouble. To lead by saying “they’re great kids” is a dead giveaway that it wasn’t good. To give each quarterback equal time was a dead giveaway that we had nobody. And THEN to spend the rest of the time saying that so-and-so can make every throw and so-and-so could play for any team in the country was just so insane.

The constant shuffling of quarterback has never worked and it’s definitely not working for us. I’d like to see Olson and then Campiotti as a Taysom Hill type if necessary.
My red flag with Casula's was when he was mic'd up and came across as a grab-ass assistant JV coach and not an FBS level O coordinator. I get it he was playing to the camera but still it gave me a red flag. I was hoping to be wrong but so far he's proven my intuition correct (darn!).
This was my light bulb moment as well.
I was so excited with Brown as the head coach that UMass football would finally have adults running the program and instead we have Bozo the Coach running (or ruining) the offense and QBs. God I feel UMass football is cursed! How the heck is UMass going to recruit future QBs after seeing this pathetic offense! Hey stud QB, do you want to run it up the middle every play and then be pulled out so the other QBs get some game action...No doubt players that are interested in UMass are watching the games and seeing this mess. :oops: Come to UMass and throw for 30 yards a game and lose!

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:38 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:45 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:41 am

My red flag with Casula's was when he was mic'd up and came across as a grab-ass assistant JV coach and not an FBS level O coordinator. I get it he was playing to the camera but still it gave me a red flag. I was hoping to be wrong but so far he's proven my intuition correct (darn!).
This was my light bulb moment as well.
I was so excited with Brown as the head coach that UMass football would finally have adults running the program and instead we have Bozo the Coach running (or ruining) the offense and QBs. God I feel UMass football is cursed! How the heck is UMass going to recruit future QBs after seeing this pathetic offense! Hey stud QB, do you want to run it up the middle every play and then be pulled out so the other QBs get some game action...No doubt players that are interested in UMass are watching the games and seeing this mess. :oops: Come to UMass and throw for 30 yards a game and lose!
You were excited?!? I donated 2k to the program and the special fundraising event that is now closed. One little comment about DB. Didn't Whipple have the same situation taking over for Molnar? 2014, 2015, and 2016 were really tough years. We turned it around in 2017. Our secondary is damn good. OK we're never going to get a 4 or 5 star QB but Boykin is a 4 star from Notre Dame. DB is from Mass and he wants to win too.

dennisdent
Senior
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:38 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:45 pm

This was my light bulb moment as well.
I was so excited with Brown as the head coach that UMass football would finally have adults running the program and instead we have Bozo the Coach running (or ruining) the offense and QBs. God I feel UMass football is cursed! How the heck is UMass going to recruit future QBs after seeing this pathetic offense! Hey stud QB, do you want to run it up the middle every play and then be pulled out so the other QBs get some game action...No doubt players that are interested in UMass are watching the games and seeing this mess. :oops: Come to UMass and throw for 30 yards a game and lose!
You were excited?!? I donated 2k to the program and the special fundraising event that is now closed. One little comment about DB. Didn't Whipple have the same situation taking over for Molnar? 2014, 2015, and 2016 were really tough years. We turned it around in 2017. Our secondary is damn good. OK we're never going to get a 4 or 5 star QB but Boykin is a 4 star from Notre Dame. DB is from Mass and he wants to win too.
Not at all! All the Whip years were at least competitive. There were close games and actually scored points and lots of close losses. Dude, Boykin isn't even starting and the secondary is not that good yet! Re-watch any of the games and you see how slow they are and get beat!

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:34 pm

dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:38 pm

I was so excited with Brown as the head coach that UMass football would finally have adults running the program and instead we have Bozo the Coach running (or ruining) the offense and QBs. God I feel UMass football is cursed! How the heck is UMass going to recruit future QBs after seeing this pathetic offense! Hey stud QB, do you want to run it up the middle every play and then be pulled out so the other QBs get some game action...No doubt players that are interested in UMass are watching the games and seeing this mess. :oops: Come to UMass and throw for 30 yards a game and lose!
You were excited?!? I donated 2k to the program and the special fundraising event that is now closed. One little comment about DB. Didn't Whipple have the same situation taking over for Molnar? 2014, 2015, and 2016 were really tough years. We turned it around in 2017. Our secondary is damn good. OK we're never going to get a 4 or 5 star QB but Boykin is a 4 star from Notre Dame. DB is from Mass and he wants to win too.
Not at all! All the Whip years were at least competitive. There were close games and actually scored points and lots of close losses. Dude, Boykin isn't even starting and the secondary is not that good yet! Re-watch any of the games and you see how slow they are and get beat!
OK let me address this:
Whip had us 4-8 and 4-8 at the end. Go to College Football Reference and 2017 was our best year in FBS (SRS). 2017 had us losing at Tennessee by 4. We beat BYU 16-10 AT BYU. Yes there were close games but we won 4 of 6 to end 2017. Whip has been and is an OC at P5 teams now. Bell's 3 years were beyond misery.
I watch on ESPN+ or listen to all the games on the radio. Last year we were on NESN. If I didn't have teenagers at home I'd drive to Amherst.
Mahoney had the pick 6 vs Stony Brook. I just go by FBS stats in USA Today etc and our secondary is like #33 in FBS. It is nearly impossible to win when you don't have a QB who can get a first down. God forbid ZW or Campiotti keeps the chains moving.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2099
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:51 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:34 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm
You were excited?!? I donated 2k to the program and the special fundraising event that is now closed. One little comment about DB. Didn't Whipple have the same situation taking over for Molnar? 2014, 2015, and 2016 were really tough years. We turned it around in 2017. Our secondary is damn good. OK we're never going to get a 4 or 5 star QB but Boykin is a 4 star from Notre Dame. DB is from Mass and he wants to win too.
Not at all! All the Whip years were at least competitive. There were close games and actually scored points and lots of close losses. Dude, Boykin isn't even starting and the secondary is not that good yet! Re-watch any of the games and you see how slow they are and get beat!
OK let me address this:
Whip had us 4-8 and 4-8 at the end. Go to College Football Reference and 2017 was our best year in FBS (SRS). 2017 had us losing at Tennessee by 4. We beat BYU 16-10 AT BYU. Yes there were close games but we won 4 of 6 to end 2017. Whip has been and is an OC at P5 teams now. Bell's 3 years were beyond misery.
I watch on ESPN+ or listen to all the games on the radio. Last year we were on NESN. If I didn't have teenagers at home I'd drive to Amherst.
Mahoney had the pick 6 vs Stony Brook. I just go by FBS stats in USA Today etc and our secondary is like #33 in FBS. It is nearly impossible to win when you don't have a QB who can get a first down. God forbid ZW or Campiotti keeps the chains moving.
Molnar recruited light years ahead of Bell. Whip definitely coached better and brought in key offensive players. Molnar while also an idiot worked them hard unlike Bell. Whip started ahead of where this team is right now, IMO. Good news is the portal replacement will hopefully translate to a faster restocking of the roster.

dennisdent
Senior
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by dennisdent » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:15 pm

Molnar recruited with the idea that he would be around Amherst for a long time and raise a family in the area. Bell knew he wouldn't be here long and recruited just enough to get by--which is showing with the lack of speed at skill positions.

LouMass
Sophomore
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:18 am
Location: My Old Kentucky Home

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by LouMass » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 pm

IMHO, our defense is not suddenly so go, the competition in the last two games against the Stony Tenple Pilots did not feature teams with very good offenses. This week we step back up and I’m guessing the D won’t look as improved as some folks think it is.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:57 am

They aren't a good FBS unit by any means but they are better than the past 2-3 years at least. They might have forced more turnovers in the first half against Temple than they did the entirety of last season. They aren't starting 5'9 kids at MLB. There's something to build on there at least.

I think they can build on the O-line too. Young and not awful so they should get better if they can stick together. Baldwin is a nice back.

I'm begging for a new QB for next year but I think they have chance to beat Temple if Campiotti plays the whole game. He's very limited and they'll never be good with a QB of that level, but they can beat bad teams with that QB. They were moving the ball decently to start the game and I feel like once the QB switches started it fell apart. Those substitutions, questionable play calls (49 yard field goal on 4th and 5?!?!?!), and penalties really reflected poorly on the coaching IMO. How do you force 4 turnovers and not score a point?

What's the goal this year? If it's to win as many games as possible than play Campiotti. If it's to build the program and we don't care about wins then give someone else a chance to play the whole first half to show something.

I have seen some progression from the first 2 games to Stony Brook and then Temple, and if they continue getting better at certain things while not reverting back to old habits then the season won't be a wash. I'm not sure that's going to happen but we can hope.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4831
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 am

LouMass wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 pm IMHO, our defense is not suddenly so go, the competition in the last two games against the Stony Tenple Pilots did not feature teams with very good offenses. This week we step back up and I’m guessing the D won’t look as improved as some folks think it is.
Unfortunately - this is probably a very good observation. This team has so many holes to fill I am not sure where you would begin.

And with the limited mount of time you have with each player, you cannot just focus on one thing, fix it, then move to the next thing. By the time you touch em' all, you have to go back and start all over again.




Probably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day 1. Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.

Whip and Brown are really solid football guys, and while Brown is admittedly still a TBD, Whip never got the program over what I would call a "stigma" hump. He came closer than anyone, but that is it.

Umass has ZERO football reputation and with every passing 1 or 2 win season it gets cemented even further. Hard to recruit impact players when this is the case.


I know I will get crushed by the maroon colored glasses people here, but this is just how I see it. I hope to see a day where Umass Football is something more than a punchline but I have my doubts that day is sooner than later.

User avatar
Rolling Ridge
Junior
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:44 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 amProbably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day... Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.
I agree Molnar was horrific from the get-go, but I don't lay the entirety of the blame for where we are now at his feet. McCutcheon hired him, when it was painfully obvious that he was a poor cultural fit, not to mention being smoke and mirrors when it came to coaching. So, McCutcheon bears some, if not perhaps more, of the blame.

But I think Whipple fully owned the reasons he was fired, both on and off the field. You could argue perhaps he didn't get the support from the University he needed to succeed, but that has nothing to do with Molnar. If anything, lack of support may have also contributed to Molnar's demise, but he was so awful it doesn't really matter. And Molnar had nothing to do with Bell being an absolutely atrocious football coach. I think we've had three failed coaching tenures, each unique in their own way, and until recently, constraints on the resources the coaches had that compounded their own failings.

It's a sad mess, but that's in the past now. Yeah, Brown has a big task righting this ship. It's looking right now that the path to stabilization will take longer than we'd all hoped. I don't know if he'll succeed or not, but I'm hoping he does and supporting the program, as I have since they moved up. But if he fails, I'll guarantee you I won't be saying, "Well, that's all Molnar's fault." That's ancient history at this point, and Brown will succeed or fail based on what he and the organization do during his tenure. If those are "Maroon-colored glasses," I give up.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4831
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2022 Game 4: Temple

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pm

Rolling Ridge wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:44 pm
eldonabe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:43 amProbably few, if any here will agree with me on this, but Charlie Molnar fucked this whole thing up and Umass is still suffering from his actions. There are many schools who started FBS at the same time or later than Umass and ALL of them are much farther along because they set the proper foundation on day... Molnar was a fucking joke and an embarrassment- starting with his tough guy "Big Boy Football" speech.
I agree Molnar was horrific from the get-go, but I don't lay the entirety of the blame for where we are now at his feet. McCutcheon hired him, when it was painfully obvious that he was a poor cultural fit, not to mention being smoke and mirrors when it came to coaching. So, McCutcheon bears some, if not perhaps more, of the blame.

But I think Whipple fully owned the reasons he was fired, both on and off the field. You could argue perhaps he didn't get the support from the University he needed to succeed, but that has nothing to do with Molnar. If anything, lack of support may have also contributed to Molnar's demise, but he was so awful it doesn't really matter. And Molnar had nothing to do with Bell being an absolutely atrocious football coach. I think we've had three failed coaching tenures, each unique in their own way, and until recently, constraints on the resources the coaches had that compounded their own failings.

It's a sad mess, but that's in the past now. Yeah, Brown has a big task righting this ship. It's looking right now that the path to stabilization will take longer than we'd all hoped. I don't know if he'll succeed or not, but I'm hoping he does and supporting the program, as I have since they moved up. But if he fails, I'll guarantee you I won't be saying, "Well, that's all Molnar's fault." That's ancient history at this point, and Brown will succeed or fail based on what he and the organization do during his tenure. If those are "Maroon-colored glasses," I give up.
Karma is a mean and heartless bitch and I truly believe that Molnar's actions are at the heart of it. You make many valid easy to see points and I agree with all of them; but for me, those are just the continuing Karma-symptoms of that Hump Umass football just cannot get over after that greased-back haired fuckhead set the table.

Post Reply