future scheduling talk

Don Brown's back and there's gonna be stability. Hey na, hey na, Don Brown's back.
ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:34 am

DoctorJ wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:44 pm Hoop returns to sweet 16. We are in a conference as long as we pull 500
Would be awesome if we could be a half decent hoops team again. Going to Sweet 16's and NCAA Big dances but you have to realize that FBS football is a different animal. There are no more Independents like back in the day and getting into a conference is the holy grail now. When we were FCS it was a non issue, but like I've said, other than ND and Army football independence is not sustainable. No CFP, no bowl ties ins, etc. Unless you don't care about us being FBS football then it's all good. Why do you think BYU and Liberty and NMSU jumped at the chance to join a conference? You have to offer something as a FBS program to be invited.

User avatar
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3204
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Western Mass.
Contact:

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by DoctorJ » Fri May 27, 2022 9:42 am

I am aware.

Did you listen to the plant the flag podcast?

Bam discusses this.
Refuse To Lose!!!

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:23 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:42 am I am aware.

Did you listen to the plant the flag podcast?

Bam discusses this.
At the 46 minute mark bamford addressed this issue by saying: “the conference piece will play itself out” and “we have to win games”. Absolutely none of the pertinent issues I brought up were addressed. He gave an opinion not a reasoned answer. To say something will play itself out is gibberish. Scheduling future games and actually getting into a conference are the crux of FBS in 2022. He is doing wishful thinking when he says “the next 5 years “…..I wish he actually mentioned the conference “we thought long and hard about and tried to get into”.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:33 pm

Ryan Bamford has done a great job as AD, but to say “we have to win games” is asinine! No sh&t!!! I thought we had to lose games. All I can say is if people want to stay in the A10 permanently then you can kiss FBS goodbye! Good luck putting together a schedule after 2024 or 2025. But you say” only Army notre dame and UConn and UMass are Indy’s!!”! How come? “ Because Army is federally supported and is a football blue blood and Notre Dame is a ACC member and also a blue blood. If bamford turned down either the MAC or C-USA then we are screwed.

User avatar
Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6341
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by Berkman » Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm

If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat May 28, 2022 9:34 am

Berkman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.
Agree totally but C-USA basketball is even worse. I like the Loyola add to the A-10 (it seems odd that the A-10 is filled with schools that won national championships and final fours 50 - 80 odd years ago). Hope things work out for our football team but Bamford saying "the conference piece will play itself out" is like saying "we are hoping for the best" very wishful thinking. The Plant the Flag podcast with the coaches was entertaining with the 4 coaches but the reason Bamford does not have an answer for "the conference piece" is because there isn't one. Worst case scenario is UMass and UConn drop back down to FCS. I could actually see us back in FCS and UConn dropping football altogether.

Look at the A-10: we're the only FBS school; look at the Big East: UConn is the only FBS school.

User avatar
Steve81
Senior
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by Steve81 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am

Berkman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.
That New Jersey team that made it to the elite eight only got 1 team in the big dance as well. That said understand Bamford's position. If he thinks we have a shot at the Big East bb understand. Otherwise no and have adjusted my giving, consolidated all to the Gridiron club for the same reason an Xavier fan gave be on the elevator in Atlantic City. We had 27 sports at the time and they had something like 18 and focused their dollars on bb with no football. Focus your giving on the sport you care about. Could be wrong but believe Martin is getting close to 1.8 million with everything.

We all do what we believe in and think the A10 will always be deeper and a bit better than the MAC. Realistically the MAC is discussed as it is the only conference that has a doable footprint and similar to the A10 with the exception of URI, Fordham, St. Joes and LaSalle. Yes it's better but we have had the same 5M in TV revenue for a decade while the MAC went from 1.3M to 10M. Never mind the huge, 1.5M, which is over 1 million more than we will receive as independents. The reason for the above numbers is to say 1M more in CFP money, football travel was 100k cheaper while in the MAC and over a Million would be an off-set a big chunk of increased travel expense.

UMass1991
Junior
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by UMass1991 » Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm

Berkman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.
This logic has baffled me for years. Umass bball hasn’t finished in the top 5 in the A10 for 5 years? 10? How long has it been since they won the A10 regular season or conference championship?

User avatar
Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6341
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by Berkman » Mon May 30, 2022 5:52 pm

Give Martin 2 - 3 years and review yours tatement.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1960
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon May 30, 2022 7:58 pm

UMass1991 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm
Berkman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.
This logic has baffled me for years. Umass bball hasn’t finished in the top 5 in the A10 for 5 years? 10? How long has it been since they won the A10 regular season or conference championship?
It’s been over a decade since they won a regular season or A10 Championship, maybe closer to 15 years- Travis Ford was the last coach to do that. They have gone to the tournament once in that same time. The flu game screwed them out of Ford’s likely shot at a tournament. They were a bubble team many times. Kiss the bubble, NIT and the Chaz tournament goodbye if they left the A10. In other words, if you want postseason hopes for the basketball team, going to the MAC is cutting those hopes down significantly. It also loses revenue for when they can attract better OOC teams to the Mullins center. The MAC does not get home games vs P5 teams. The MAC does not get the exposure a good A10 team gets on ESPN, CBSsports, etc. Yes, they need to be better. Lowering the ceiling is a death sentence IMO.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:37 am

UMass1991 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm
Berkman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.
This logic has baffled me for years. Umass bball hasn’t finished in the top 5 in the A10 for 5 years? 10? How long has it been since they won the A10 regular season or conference championship?
AMEN
Coach Cal was 30 years ago!!!! But I'm willing to let it all go since we won the Hockey National Championship a couple years ago. We're sort of in limbo because we are in the A-10 for the olympic sports and football is out on an island. Who knows? we just got "The Problem" Ahmad Haston and if this commit holds up we are going to be a half decent football team, indy or not.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:40 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:58 pm
UMass1991 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm
Berkman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm If we move football to the MAC we would screw our basketball program. They only get 1 team to the playoffs.
This logic has baffled me for years. Umass bball hasn’t finished in the top 5 in the A10 for 5 years? 10? How long has it been since they won the A10 regular season or conference championship?
It’s been over a decade since they won a regular season or A10 Championship, maybe closer to 15 years- Travis Ford was the last coach to do that. They have gone to the tournament once in that same time. The flu game screwed them out of Ford’s likely shot at a tournament. They were a bubble team many times. Kiss the bubble, NIT and the Chaz tournament goodbye if they left the A10. In other words, if you want postseason hopes for the basketball team, going to the MAC is cutting those hopes down significantly. It also loses revenue for when they can attract better OOC teams to the Mullins center. The MAC does not get home games vs P5 teams. The MAC does not get the exposure a good A10 team gets on ESPN, CBSsports, etc. Yes, they need to be better. Lowering the ceiling is a death sentence IMO.
Yes the A-10 is a much better hoops league than the MAC or C-USA. The A-10 got more bids than either of those leagues. Also I like the Loyola add.

ZooMass84
Junior
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:43 am

who knows?!? maybe Bamford is the miracle AD. maybe he's right when he says the conference piece "will work itself out". We just got a very highly rated QB as a commit next year. Ahmad Haston turned down a P5 and some G5 schools for us.

User avatar
Steve81
Senior
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by Steve81 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:19 pm

ZooMass84 and others agree with the MAC all sports would be a good all around conference. Both the Women's and Men's basketball teams get multiple NIT bids. Have state my views but willing to accept AD Ryan Bamford's approach to see how everything shakes out. Hope the Don Brown and Frank Martin hires are as good as Tori Verde, who for the record believe his wife may also had some influence and the same for Greg Carvel.

stevemaz
Senior
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:23 am

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:53 am

well there is always the Big Ten..LOL..

I still think if the Big Ten wanted 16 and couldnt get quality from other P5 leagues, the obvious choice would be UMass/UConn.

Post Reply