ItsWhatsBest

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MrMiagi

ItsWhatsBest

Post by MrMiagi » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:25 pm

Isn't your name really Brulaughs. I knew I might find you over here.

Did you tell the board about your proposal that a couple hundred extra season ticket sales would easily cover the cost of Laps buyout?

People might not think I have any credibility, but I can't have any less than you.

Did you break out with the ratface comments yet?

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:27 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. He must have gotten bored with leading the other mindless idiots around on the asslive board and decided to come here to try and further his blatant attempts to undermine Steve Lappas. You've got to feel for him though, it must be a painful existence to walk around with that much raw anger and hatred for a man whose only flaw is that he hasn't taken the UMass hoops team to the NCAA in two years. I mean, it would be one thing if Lappas had come up and bitch slapped him in front of his peers at the asslive board but Lappas has done nothing more than coach a UMass hoops team.

People like Brulaughs/itswhatsbest obviously have no lives and little more understanding of life. These are young men out there playing basketball, improving their lives by getting an education and dreaming of the next level, whether it be the NBA or some other league. It's not about the fans in college sports, it's about the kids. Yes, we all want to see our alma mater win it all, and the great thing about the offseason is the anticipation and new hope that next year they will. But the bottom line is making sure these kids get a solid education and learn some valuable lessons from a standup coach like Lappas. It's about preparing these kids for life after college. Chances are many of them will not make a professional league and will have to jump in to the job market. All of the BruLaughs/itswhatsbest fans in the world are not going help these kids get a job, provide support and guidance and start these kids off on the right foot after college like coach Lappas will.

Say what you will about Lappas but he is a stand up guy who graduates his players and takes care of them with a tough love approach. You don't see the scandles around the UMass as you do at other instutions for the coach being involved in shady activities. As long as Lappas keeps the team competive and graduates his players I'm all for keeping him at UMass. Sure, I'd like to see the university get excited again about the NCAA tournament but at the end of the day, it's all about the student players and their success in life after college. Some may call this a defeatist attitude about the program, others may not, I just wish these kids the same success after college that a UMass degree has given me.

I've got to believe that BruLaughs/itswhatsbest never went to Umass otherwise he'd have better things to do with his time other than Bash Lappas and the hoops program.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:51 pm

I wouldn't say everyone on the other board is a "mindless idiot", there are occasionally some good points and discussions.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:38 pm

Umass'96 I do not agree with much of your thread. While it is certainly commendable to graduate players and not have scandals, this is something that should not be out of the norm but rather something that is expected.
I would suggest that there are many, many people who could achieve your somewhat unambitious goals for far less money than Coach Lappas is making.
He was hired to resurrect the program and as Chancellor Lombardi says ' winning is important.'
If you think the University is going to continue to pay this kind of money for a staff that does not have scandals and graduates players and finiushes 11-16 with 3,000 people in the stands, you are entirely wrong.
I am a supporter of Lappas, at this time, however if next year results are similar to this years results, I would think his position would be, at best, tenable.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:59 pm

Floyd, you are right. I'm sure that there are some very inteliigent people that post on the Asslive board and I am sure that there are occasionally intelligent discussions. My point of view is jaded as all I ever seem to see is unitelligible crap from BruLaughs and others jumping on his less than productive bandwagon.

Vanmeter, you too are right in regards to UMass being able to pay much less to hire a coach that would achieve successful graduation standards and no scandals. However, it appears that Lappas is the compromise between the two. He is obviously dedicated to graduatiing players and he has the potential to put asses in the seats and get us to the NCAA's. he has proven that he has credibility in recruiting and at least minor success in the tournament with prior programs. His career reflects that he can achieve an exciting program and get teams to the tournament often enough to keep interest alive in the program. He has had his difficulties in his first two years at UMass and this upcoming year will be a year in which he needs to at least get to the NIT otherwise, I agree, he may find himself looking for a new job.

He does, in fact, have some proving to do. Yes, he was hired to resurrect a program but so was Bobby Knight at Texas Tech and Tarchanian at Fresno. But it seems that UMass may care about student success as well as the success of the program, and Lappas is the coach that should and can provide that. Both of the aforementioned coaches have additional baggage that they carry with them and would never be considered at UMass. Lappas was the compromise that UMass was looking for at the time. A proven winning coach and a great student athlete mentor. There will always be a young up and coming coach out there that we can play armchair quarterback after the season and say that we should have taken him. Did Jay Wright do much better this year? There were calls for his name on this board for coach at UMass. I don't have the coaching answer but a decision was made to go with Lappas and I am going to support that. It certainly won't hurt the program by supporting the current coaching staff. The jury is still out on whether not NOT supporting the coach will hurt or help the program.

And it was Vince Lombardi that said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." :P Just a jest in contrast to Chancellor Lombardi. :roll:

Flame away....
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:19 pm

UMass96, I appreciate your rethinking your previous comments, and agree that the other board tends to get bogged down in personal insults that seem to have nothing to do with hoop, and sidetracks any good discussion. I am in favor of giving Lappas support for next season even though I agree that the past two have been disappointing. I wouldn't consider myself to be either a Lappas guy or a Lappas foe, but a fan & supporter of UMass basketball. The powers that be have made their choice, and I will go with that for now. However I do think that next year has to be the turning point to get us going in a positive direction, or the negativity and bashing will become too much for this program to bear, and a change may be necessary. Nothing worth having is easy to get, and as a program, we need to put our heads down and get through the tough times. BLAME NOBODY, EXPECT NOTHING, DO SOMETHING should be our new motto. If the kids are working hard, the instruction is there, and we don't quit, we'll get there. I think that's all people want to see.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:50 pm

Umass'96, I want you to know Ivery much support the program and would love to see Lappas succeed. That being said, all of us get paid to succeed in our chosen profession. If one fails, they usually lose their job. Being basketball coach at Umass is no different. My feeling is this year is one where we, the fans, and the administration should expect significant imporvement over the past 2 years.
I don't want to hear excuses but rather see results.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:53 pm

vanmeter wrote:I don't want to hear excuses but rather see results.
Someone should quote this after every post by Mr. Miagi until the season starts.