Not UMASS, but....

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Not UMASS, but....

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:20 pm

what do you guys think about the draft tonight? any predictions? who will the celts get? and where will Michah Brand go in the draft? :P :P :P HA HA HA

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:56 pm

Troy Bell just went 16th to the Celtics. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????? 16th?? You have got to be kidding me.

And it's looking more and more like David West will be around for my Lakers at the 24th pick so I guess I'm going to have to force myself to root for David West should he get picked.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:04 pm

Well that takes care of that.....West went 18th to New Orleans.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:21 pm

Rumor has it Celts drafted Bell for the purpose of trading him. Stay tuned.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:32 pm

Oh boy.....rumor is going around, per David Aldridge, that Camby may be moved to Portland for that Travis Outlaw kid. Boy, wouldn't Marcus fit right in with the Jail Blazers...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:21 am

i know we are all suppose to hate troy bell and BC, but i was ssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy when the celts drafted him... i went nuts down at rafters! but go figure, they screw that up too... troy bell was the most underrated player in this draft... he is a much better player than TJ Ford, but because Ford played for Texas, he gets all the credit and hype... i am telling you, Jerry West made got the steal of this draft... Bell would have been a pefect (all the way down to the T) fit for the celtics... its too bad they didnt keep him for more than 20 minutes :x

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:48 am

Celts have needed a point guard forever, and Banks is a good one with speed. They definitely don't need another SG. Excellent trade.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:21 am

Ainge is trying to make things happen for the Celts. They got the guys they wanted and that's good...they didn't settle!!

Tommy Heinsohn seemed to be happy with the way Ainge and Wallace worked together. He said that he liked that they're on the same page in terms of evaluating talent and that's a positive sign for the future. Ainge also heaped a lot of praise on Leo Papile.

Judging from the interview I saw on FSNE with Heinsohn, Gorman and O'Brien, it sounded like Red Auerbach had a lot to offer. O'Brien said he could fill a book with Auerbach-isms just from this draft.

Go Celts!!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:23 am

Rocks22 wrote:Celts have needed a point guard forever, and Banks is a good one with speed. They definitely don't need another SG. Excellent trade.

are you kidding me? bell doesnt have speed??? the celts need a pg who can create and score... thats what bell is... he would have been a perfect fit because he would have to be respected by other teams cause he can score... that would have taken a huge load off of pierce with the double teaming.... horrible move by the celts... bell was the steal of the draft

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:39 am

Time will tell, but I disagree with your evaluation of Bell's PG skills. Bell is a great shooter, but the Celtics need a point guard who creates. Between Walker and Pierce, they have enough shooters. They need someone to get the ball to those two and whoever is playing down low. They need a floor general, Bell is a scorer.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:45 am

IV, I disagree with you totally. Yes he is quick and can create his own shot, but he'll have guys like Jason Kidd, and Allen Iverson in his shorts. The players Bell will be up against are FAR more athletic than anything he's ever seen at the collegiate level. He would have been a nice player in the second round, but not at 16. Most draft experts agree.

I really think that Ainge snookered Jerry West. Why would JW trade for two players that essentially play the same position? Not even mentioning that the Grizzlies already are set at that position.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:50 am

fbiman wrote:I really think that Ainge snookered Jerry West. Why would JW trade for two players that essentially play the same position? Not even mentioning that the Grizzlies already are set at that position.
fbiman...I hope you're right!

A Celtic snookering a Laker...life is good!! When the Celtics get back to doing that to the Lakers on the floor, life will be even better :D
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

delkins
Junior

Post by delkins » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:30 am

I was at the Draft Party last night and Ainge basically said not to get excited about their first pick because it was most likely going to be traded. As soon as they picked Jones, he announced the trade and that it had been previously planned.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:35 pm

Troy Bell was a second round pick on every mock draft I saw. Yes, he can shoot, but he is not what the celtics need. We needed to up the tempo and start getting some easy fast break points and this is the kid to do that. I am 100% confident that Banks will have a much longer and more productive career. Many have said if banks went for more team visits he would have gone even earlier in the draft. Go Ainge!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:24 pm

first off, if anyone but me paid attention, just about all of the mock drafts this week had bell going to the T-Wolves in the first round, not the second round pick everyone believed he would be before this week started... second of all, i dont know if any of you actually went to the umass/bc games the last few years, but troy bell is very very fast... so there is no reason to say that he wouldnt help bring the tempo up for the celts.... he proved in the chicago camps that he was and is the best athlete in the draft (check out insider on espn.com for that), and that he could play the point and create for other players.... he would have been perfect for the celts... fast point who can create for others, and take pressure off the stars because of his ability to score, either by shooting or driving