Lawsuits

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:08 am

From the articles I have seen this morning, none of them mention UConn. The team being considered is Va. Tech. There is an article in today's Globe and on the ESPN website. Too bad for UConn. Ha Ha!!

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:21 am

If you subscribe to the view(as I do) that this is more about football and geography, and less about basketball, why on earth would the ACC include uconn? I would think that if the ACC adds 5 teams(BC, Miami, Syracuse, and VTech being the first four), wouldn't Pitt, Notre Dame, or even Rutgers make more sense?

With Pitt, the ACC extends into the lucrative western PA football market. Notre Dame is, well, Notre Dame. And Rutgers gets you into the tri-state NY area. How would the ACC benefit by having uconn?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:47 am

I honestly think there is a rule in the ACC by-laws that states that only schools in states that are on the Atlantic coast can be in the league. I read that somewhere(A-10 board maybe).

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:30 am

DTM80 wrote:From the articles I have seen this morning, none of them mention UConn. The team being considered is Va. Tech. There is an article in today's Globe and on the ESPN website. Too bad for UConn. Ha Ha!!
That's funny....because this is from ESPN.....

"If that were to happen -- the Big East is a 14-team basketball conference -- then expansion could include a fifth Big East team, possibly Connecticut. The source also said expansion almost certainly will take effect in 2005-06, when television contracts expire for the college football's BCS in both conferences."

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:16 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... ansion_ap/

This totally sucks, I hate them all! And I gotta say I'm feeling really bad for WVU, Pitt & Rutgers right now.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:35 pm

whiterhino42 wrote: And I gotta say I'm feeling really bad for WVU, Pitt & Rutgers right now.
:roll: You feel sorry for them? Spare me the alligator tears! They jumped the A-10 ship, and are now getting a dose of the crap they dumped on the A-10 right back. Call it karma or poetic justice. The real victim of all this is the myth of student athletes. The schools are pimping themselves, using their athletic programs and thus their athletes, just to get bigger pots of $$$ as they consort with bigger bed partners. It is sad to see schools, once known for their academic prowess, morph into pimps. I don't feel one damned bit sorry for any of them. Nor do I feel sorry for the A-10, if it gets ripped again. Any plan that does not include the "we'll play anyone, any time, any place" philosophy isn't worthy of UMass. Conference allegiances aside, I want UMass to play the best in order to become the best. Screw the whiney assed conferences for failure to take care of business. (Yes, Linda Bruno, some of the blame for SBU's woes lay at your doorstep.)

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:00 am

New stuff in the Globe today. Sounds like the lawsuit does not have legs.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/172/s ... nue+.shtml
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:06 pm

the plaintiffs have very little likelihood of obtaining any meaningful relief through the lawsuit. the only point of the suit is to try and get some $ or an additional acc bid. acc will likely remove the case to fed. court and move to dismiss. ct. wants to be included in the acc and that is what they will settle the suit on.