Trigger Burke

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JAR
Sophomore

Trigger Burke

Post by JAR » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:56 pm

While we are remembering the past, I was curious to know what the roll of Trigger Burke is in the lore of UMass basketball. I believe his jersey is retired (at least I have seen it on the wall of Mullins), but statistically looking through the archives I did not see were he made any major marks in the record books (other then a few 30 point games) , so, I am guessing there is more to the story. Anyone know the story?

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:21 pm

see:

http://umassathletics.collegesports.com ... html#BURKE

The reason you don't see Trigger Burke in the record boks is simple:

Intercollegiate basketball was very different fifty years ago. There used to be freshman teams. I believe there were even JV teams. In any case, Trigger only played two years and a total of 47 games.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:24 pm

Trigger Burke has been the biggest supporter of UMass basketball for the last 40-50 years, both financially and in many other ways, and through thick and thin. From what I understand, Trigger was a very good player in his day, but it is what he has done since that earns him the right to have the same retired number on the wall as Dr. J.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:23 pm

$$$$$$ thats what its all about ... He was a decent player but his number is retired because of the all mighty dollar.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:36 pm

2nd team All-American is a pretty damn good credential.
Does anybody know if Trigger still goes to games?
BTW-That is one great website.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:26 am

DrG wrote:Trigger was a very good player in his day, but it is what he has done since that earns him the right to have the same retired number on the wall as Dr. J.
That opinion is extremely questionable. Retired numbers are supposed to be about performance on the court. Wjile I admire and appreciate financial contributions, its like saying Jose Offerman should be in the baseball hall of fame if he donates a couple million. That is not how it is supposed to work.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:37 am

what an ass you are for analogizing jose awfulman to Trigger Burke. :twisted:
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:51 am

VoxPop wrote:what an ass you are for analogizing jose awfulman to Trigger Burke. :twisted:
I thinnk "comparing" is the word you were looking for....

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:55 am

He was a good player. He was the leading scorer on the two years he played. No three pointers then. Scoring 30 points in a game wasn't a piece of cake. The trigger in the name was because he shot a lot and there was a famous hit man called Triiger Burke for more serious reasons.
The hall of fame was Burke's idea. Instead of whinning about the school not doing it, he got it done himself. No Trigger, no Hall of Fame. He hasn't been showing up lately. It may be health or lappitis.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:58 am

Obviously I was not around then, so all I haave to go by is what I hear from some of the older alumni, and the record books. he was a good player, but I would hesitate to say he was in the category of Roe, Skinner, or Erving. I have no problem naming anything in the Athletic department after him..or whatever honor they choose. But the retired number is about performance...and in this case it was about money not performance.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:15 am

VoxPop wrote:what an ass you are for analogizing jose awfulman to Trigger Burke. :twisted:
It's nice to know you are still here spreading your wisdom while so many other posters have been deactivated or had their posts deleted. Good stuff!

Guess you gave at the office.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:43 am

So then the retired number is about more than just performance in this case. Retiring a number that was subsequently worn with significantly more distinction by another player seems similar to the Celtics retiring #1 for Walter Brown and #2 for Red Auerbach. Those guys never wore uniforms so numbers had to be attributed to them. Burke wore one, and it was never going to be worn again after Erving anyway... So the school recognized a lifetime of generosity and commitment. If there are people who have donated more or had more of an impact on the program, they have a gripe. I doubt anyone posting on this board qualifies just yet.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:21 am

Not to be a contrarian here, but Red Auerbach, although he might not have played, did contribute heavily to what happened on the court. I do not know enough about Walter Brown to comment on his situation. However, there are plenty of ways that people can be recognized for financial, and off-the-court support. I just feel that having a jersey retired has traditionally been about performance on the court, not wallet size off the court.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:02 am

^
RE: Walter Brown only...
back when the Celtics were winning championships year after year and one could buy a ticket right up to game time, playoffs included, Walter Brown, through his wisdom and generosity, opened the Garden, on game days, to amateur teams...to play their games on the parquet...from mid-afternoon, until pre-game warmups, and occasionally adding a haltime mini-game...and all who played were given Celtics game passes which allowed one to sit in any unoccupied seat in the house...

Those who had the opportunity to play on the parquet, including me, several times, will never forget the name and spirit of Walter Brown.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:27 am

Used to be VOR wrote:Not to be a contrarian here, but Red Auerbach, although he might not have played, did contribute heavily to what happened on the court. I do not know enough about Walter Brown to comment on his situation. However, there are plenty of ways that people can be recognized for financial, and off-the-court support. I just feel that having a jersey retired has traditionally been about performance on the court, not wallet size off the court.
You're absolutely right. Burke's number being retired just wasn't exclusively about on-court performance. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he's underserving. #32 wasn't taken out of service forever at UMass to honor Burke. HIS #32 was retired to honor his contributions. THE #32 was retired to honor Julius Erving.

I'm just glad that Mr. Burke has shown the kind of dedication to the program that he has. The number thing doesn't really bother me, especially since it's not like he was the 7th man on his team. How long ago was it retired, anyway?
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.