A-10 Tourney

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umassketball
Sophomore

A-10 Tourney

Post by umassketball » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:53 pm

Is anyone else terrified about playing La Salle in the first round? I feel like the underdog in this one, especially if the A-10 player of the year doesn't fall asleep against us. I know everyone has written the season off already and just want Lappas to get the boot (as do I) but it would be nice for the seniors and the fans if we could make a little run to end the season. If we beat La Salle, it's Xavier in Cinci, which would be tough. Nevertheless, we have beaten both of these teams, so you never know. Winner of Xavier vs. UMass/La Salle gets St. Joe's most likely. This is all speculation, but it's interesting to see that we have beaten our first two opponents, although it took 4 OT's combined haha :D

Minutemen4Life
Junior

Post by Minutemen4Life » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:27 pm

Not terrified at all by La Salle. Of all the teams I'd like to play them the most.
UMass: Where Amazing Happens

Sheck
Senior

Post by Sheck » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:29 pm

La Salle is terrible, they don't even belong in the conference. We should win handily. Realistically, I expect us to get a nice lead early and let it slip to single digits (like today), but we should be in control of the game most of the way. Looking ahead, Xavier will be tough, but we have a chance against them. We're not beating St. Joe's, better hope Richmond upsets them.

Bracket

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:46 pm

La Salle put up a real good fight against Temple in Philadelphia today. They are by no means a pushover, and considering they took us to overtime, a win is far from a sure thing.

EBox
Senior

Post by EBox » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:59 pm

I don't think there are any locks in the A-10 tourney, and no team can look past an opponent to the following game. <b>Especially</b> UMass, seeing as we have struggled to win single digit games (some in OT) against teams that should have been playing our walk-ons with 4 minutes left rather then playing our starters for the bulk of the game.

Its one game at a time at this stage of the season.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:23 pm

Sheck wrote:La Salle is terrible, they don't even belong in the conference. We should win handily. Realistically, I expect us to get a nice lead early and let it slip to single digits (like today), but we should be in control of the game most of the way. Looking ahead, Xavier will be tough, but we have a chance against them. We're not beating St. Joe's, better hope Richmond upsets them.

Bracket
Seriously, from what planet do you come from? If Lasalle doesn't belong in the conference, it is a pretty sad statement that UM had to go into overtime to be them by 3 points.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Sheck
Senior

Post by Sheck » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:49 pm

Earth. And yes, it is a pretty sad statement that we beat them in OT by 3 points, just like it's a sad statement we lost to Northeastern by 16 points (even though they did end up winning 20 games, but c'mon), as well as going to OT against St. B and URI.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:54 pm

Sheck wrote:Earth. And yes, it is a pretty sad statement that we beat them in OT by 3 points, just like it's a sad statement we lost to Northeastern by 16 points (even though they did end up winning 20 games, but c'mon), as well as going to OT against St. B and URI.
Granted URI isn't the best team in the world, but right after we beat them OT they defeated St. Joe's and Temple in consecutive games. Not an excuse, but them taking us to overtime isn't as bad as it would seem at first.

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:28 pm

We just have to flat out come and play to win :!:
Go Umass!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:41 pm

MassMan06 wrote:
Sheck wrote:Earth. And yes, it is a pretty sad statement that we beat them in OT by 3 points, just like it's a sad statement we lost to Northeastern by 16 points (even though they did end up winning 20 games, but c'mon), as well as going to OT against St. B and URI.
Granted URI isn't the best team in the world, but right after we beat them OT they defeated St. Joe's and Temple in consecutive games. Not an excuse, but them taking us to overtime isn't as bad as it would seem at first.
URI has done something UMass hasn't done this year...they beat BOTH Temple and St. Joe's. UMass hasn't beaten EITHER Temple or St. Joe's this year and they're 0-for-Lappas against St. Joe's.

To those who say that there's NO lock in the A-10 tourney, I say there is...UMass won't beat either of those teams in the the A-10 tournament.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Sheck
Senior

Post by Sheck » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:09 pm

Yeah, that's true. Gotta give URI credit for those 2 wins.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:51 am

Sheck wrote:La Salle is terrible, they don't even belong in the conference.
I would rather play the Duqies again instead of La Salle. I don't see us holding down Steven Smith to another 2-11 shooting day. He's going to have some revenge on his mind, and that scares me.
Sheck wrote:Looking ahead, Xavier will be tough, but we have a chance against them.
I do agree with you here. Of all the teams with a bye, I think we have our best chance against the X men. Have to take care of bizness on Wednesday though, one at a time.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:48 am

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we go one and out. Even if we beat LaSalle, Xavier, in Cin will be tough. They are a better team noiw than when we played them and beat them in OT. Don't see us going deep.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:50 am

MikeUMA wrote:
Sheck wrote:La Salle is terrible, they don't even belong in the conference.
I would rather play the Duqies again instead of La Salle. I don't see us holding down Steven Smith to another 2-11 shooting day. He's going to have some revenge on his mind, and that scares me.
Smith will be tough, looking at possibly his last game of the season. If they can contain him from going off, they should win. Hey, it's a new season, anything can happen. If they play like they can, they can do some damage. I'm rooting for these guys to play hard, win a few, & if they go down, go down swinging. Minutemen by 8.

UM Fan
Senior

TV?

Post by UM Fan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:16 am

Anyone know the TV schedule for the rest of the tourney? I see there is no TV for pour 1st round game. What about the rounds that follow? :?: