A-10 Tourney

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:42 pm

I am not at all satisfied by this season.

RPI 124

I keep hearing about 16 wins - so what - who are they against:

Uconn 16 RPI
Davidson 62
BU 75
GW 82
Rider 114
Xavier 138
Florida State 139
Yale 163
Birmingam Southern 181
Fordham 205
LaSalle 232
Duquesne 273
UPR 305 2 WINS
Bonnies 321 2 WINS

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:47 pm

Although I agree with you somewhat. You tecnically have to play whos on the schedule so every win counts someway.
Go Umass!!!

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:01 pm

Vanmeter's point is that 16 wins isn't that impressive when 11 of the 16 wins came against teams with lower RPIs than UMass, nine of the 16 wins came against teams in the lower half of the RPI, and seven of the 16 came against teams below No. 200.
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:38 pm

16 wins is better than any UMass team has done in 7 years.

This team has played their butts off, had some nice wins and never quit. They have showed alot of character, talent and grit. If you want to find reasons to not be impressed and to trash the team, that is your perogative. If you want to root for the team to lose because you hate the coach - I am more than happy to think you are an ass. I'll support these guys no matter what, hope they beat the explorers, beat X and win the A10 title or at least get to the NIT and win a post season game. Why? Because I am a loyal UMass alumnus and a long time supporter of the University.

So keep on trashing the team and I'll keep on rooting for them to continue to make you Lappashaters unhappy !
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:47 pm

VoxPop wrote:16 wins is better than any UMass team has done in 7 years.
This team has played their butts off, had some nice wins and never quit. They have showed alot of character, talent and grit. If you want to find reasons to not be impressed and to trash the team, that is your perogative. If you want to root for the team to lose because you hate the coach - I am more than happy to think you are an ass. I'll support these guys no matter what, hope they beat the explorers, beat X and win the A10 title or at least get to the NIT and win a post season game. Why? Because I am a loyal UMass alumnus and a long time supporter of the University.

So keep on trashing the team and I'll keep on rooting for them to continue to make you Lappashaters unhappy !
You keep parroting that line and it really agravates me. While technically it's true, what would that record be if they played a real schedule. The schedule, that he requested be easier, has inflated your opinion of how good the team is right now. The simple fact is that they have won 16 teams, the majority of which came against teams with sorry records.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:53 pm

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:54 pm

Sir Seretse Khama wrote:
You keep parroting that line and it really agravates me. While technically it's true, what would that record be if they played a real schedule. The schedule, that he requested be easier, has inflated your opinion of how good the team is right now. The simple fact is that they have won 16 teams, the majority of which came against teams with sorry records.
What do you mean by a real schedule though? I mean, the SOS for our out of conference schedule is 6 or 7 or something like that. That is pretty good. Lap did a decent job of scheduling some good games while makes sure we had some teams on there that we should always beat. There is nothing we can do about the A-10 right now. The conference is down, there is no denying that. But if it was better, maybe we would have another win or two. Lap teams have tended to play better against better competition, and down to lesser opponents.

I don't know.... I kinda feel like I am rambling on... sorry about this guys.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Just Shoot Me
I'm about to agree with VoxPop and IV.

SSK: look at the Non-Conf/RPI thread, and the post I did last night with our non-conf opponents. You'll find a lot of good teams there.

Have we had tougher schedules? Absolutely. But the one we played this year is not bad. It was the A-10 schedule that dragged our overall SoS rating into the crapper.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:16 pm

It's not rocket science, guys. The OOC SOS was very strong. The 7-4 record was good enought to insure an NCAA at-large bid IF the team did their busines in conference. The A10 was extraordinarily weak. The team and the coach certainly can't be blamed for that. They SHOULD have done better than 9-7. I don't care how you slice it: either the rest of D1 got better after UMass stopped its OOC or UMass got worse. It doesn't matter because it's been consistent over Lappas' tenure at UMass. The team played worse at the end of the season. In the first three seasons it meant large amounts of losses. This season it meant fewer wins.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:24 pm

UMass87 wrote: It doesn't matter because it's been consistent over Lappas' tenure at UMass. The team played worse at the end of the season.
Records by month for UMass under Lappas:
November 7-4 (.636)
December 14-14 (.500)
January 13-22 (.371)
February 14-15 (.483)
March 3-9 (.250) (including the forfeit by the Bonnies)

They have a .395 win percentage after the first of the year.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm

BTW, I was driving down Route 9 the other day and noticed a rusty old dilapidated vehicle off in the weeds. Is that the bandwagon that you said everyone was going to clamoring to hop onto this year? It needs some work and you ain't gonna get any elbow grease from this coaching staff to get fans interested in getting on.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:04 pm

UMass87 wrote: I don't care how you slice it: either the rest of D1 got better after UMass stopped its OOC or UMass got worse. .
There is third possibility, several A10 teams improved during the season, more than UMass did. The league did have a heavy turnover from last year, while UMass had essentially the same roster from the previous year. We'll know if that's true next year as the OOC schedule unfolds for the league.

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:19 pm

Floyd wrote:Of all the wins, what is our average margin of victory? Average margin of defeat? Just curious
Average margin of victory = 6.38
Average margin of defeat = 12.36

Avg. opponent RPI in our 16 wins = 188
Avg. opponent RPI in our 11 losses = 88

OUT OF CONFERENCE-
Avg. opponent RPI in our 7 wins = 118
Avg. opponent RPI in our 4 losses = 29

ATLANTIC 10 PLAY-
Avg. opponent RPI in our 9 wins = 242 :shock:
Avg. opponent RPI in our 7 losses = 122

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:20 pm

Yeah but now that the regular season is over, did they "kick ass" VoxLap?

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:39 am

Minutemaniac74 wrote:
Floyd wrote:Of all the wins, what is our average margin of victory? Average margin of defeat? Just curious
Average margin of victory = 6.38
Average margin of defeat = 12.36

Avg. opponent RPI in our 16 wins = 188
Avg. opponent RPI in our 11 losses = 88

OUT OF CONFERENCE-
Avg. opponent RPI in our 7 wins = 118
Avg. opponent RPI in our 4 losses = 29

ATLANTIC 10 PLAY-
Avg. opponent RPI in our 9 wins = 242 :shock:
Avg. opponent RPI in our 7 losses = 122

Thanks Minutemaniac. Harbo & 87 have some good points. Why is it that we win fewer games the second half of the season when we're generally into our conference schedule? The RPI of our 7 in conference losses is lower than the RPI of our 7 OOC wins, this is what really hurt us this year. If we can't take care of business in a weaker than normal conference schedule, it'll always kill us. Let's hope they can put it together and put up a nice run in the A-10 tourney & end up on a positive note.