Why Barbee?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote:
UMass87 wrote:It seems unreasonable to to talk about the performance of the team or the chances of future performance without addressing the coaching.
What if it isn't unreasonable? Or more to the point, what if others who would like to post don't find it unreasonable and actually preferrable? Do they have to start another board? Or are they simply unable to participate in a manner that they'd prefer until there is some sort of resolution?
In which manner would that be? Do they have some divine right to a forum in which nothing they deem distasteful appears? Or is it that nobody can be mean to them and sugest that they are related to the coach? Is it that they have some right not to be accused of being a great fan of Steve Lappas if they refuse to condemn him?

Since I'm of the opinion that a suit stuffed with straw would have coached this team betterr, I would have loved to have had the whole season in which to never discuss the coach - a scarecrow being much less offensive and worthy of conversation. Unfortunatelty, UMass wasn't so lucky and Steve Lappas WAS and IS the coach. His performance and expected tenure thus are valid topics by any reasonable measure and they may, in fact, be reasonably be expected to arise in any intelligent discussion of the team.

Treebeard

Post by Treebeard » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:06 pm

Hmmmmmmm. You are a hasty folk. I have spent some time reading through the pages of this journal. It is very reassuring to know that none of my trees are being sacrificed to produce this journal. However, my thoughts strayed for a moment. Do forgive me. This very hasty person, ahhhhhhh, Hyperbole Defender, has decided to serve an important function. He is like a lightning rod. He has not taken any side about whether or not Steve Lappas should be allowed to continue has the herder of the Minutemen. Oh, yes, you call him a "coach." But this Hyperbole Defender has not taken a side, and I guess that may be because he does not see that anyone is on his side. And as I think about the things he has said, hasty though they may be, Hyperbole Defender seems to want to give all of the people who write here a place where they can stand without being crowded by others. This is an altogether healthy thing, I would think. In the forest, the biggest and strongest trees are the ones who are not crowded, who are able to stand tall and catch the wind and the rain. Their roots grow deep, unencumbered by the competition on them for growth. Yet, Hyperbole Defender seems to be saying that those who really don't care who the "coach" is as long as the Minutemen are winning games often are treated with as much welcome as an Orc at a party of Elves and Hobbits. If this is what he is saying, I wish he would take the time to say it more fully. And if this is what he is saying, hmmmmmmmmm, hom, I am curious to know why it is not accepted?

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:09 pm

This thread is awesome!
Word to your motha!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:20 pm

Treebeard wrote: ... And if this is what he is saying, hmmmmmmmmm, hom, I am curious to know why it is not accepted?
Some of us know who he is and think he's being a tad hypocritical. Maybe if he posted using the name he is best known as he would encounter less resistance (more initially as people cited his hypocrisy but less later as they recognized his siincerity - I almost laughed aloud when I typed that).

Treebeard

Post by Treebeard » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:45 pm

UMass87 wrote: Some of us know who he is and think he's being a tad hypocritical.
Hooooooom. Hypocritical, you say? I wonder. Sometimes it is not being hypocritical to keep one's true identity hidden. When you are hasty to reveal your identity, you give a power to others over yourself, and that can be unwise. And as for hypocrisy? In the pages of this journal I find much hypocrisy!! People claiming to be educated in the ways of men who act like Entings..., I mean, children, of course. Men claiming to be wise, yet speak as fools. Fools parading as wise men. Take me to a page where one cannot find hypocrisy!!! I think you may be overly concerned wwith the messenger and not sufficiently concerned with the message. And that is its own kind of hypocrisy. I see that Saruman's work has been done here.

ItsWhatsBest
Freshman

Post by ItsWhatsBest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:51 pm

See, this is all so much better.

Umass89
Junior

Post by Umass89 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:30 pm

.......uh, did I miss something Mike, or is smoking pot before logging in a new requirement?

Treebeard my man (or woman) you've partaken of the Longbottom Leaf fo' sho'......
Llewelyn Moss: Is uh, Carson Wells there?
Anton Chigurh: Not in the sense that you mean.

Hoops411
Junior

Post by Hoops411 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:41 pm

The best thing about you Hyperbole.....We will never hear from you after your butt buddy coach Lappas is let go :D
Just as we do the lord
WE BELIEVE IN FORD!!!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:42 pm

All I can say is "Don't Bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me". :roll:
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Treebeard

Post by Treebeard » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:32 am

Umass89 wrote:Treebeard my man (or woman) you've partaken of the Longbottom Leaf fo' sho'......
UMass89, by now you should know the difference between a man and an Ent. And as for woman, we Ents have lost the Entwives, and long to find them. If you hear of the Entwives in your part of New England Earth, please send word to Fangorn. There would be a march of Ents such as this present age has never seen!!!

My little friends, Meriadoc and Peregrin found some of this "Longbottom leaf" in the spoils of Isengard. The actually took some of this leaf and placed it in a device they held in their teeth and then set fire to it!! They said it was very tasty and relaxing. Hmmmmmm. Peregrin offered some to me. But, as the ancient one with the shiny head has so nicely noticed, I do have a head of wood. Living wood, permit me to emphasize. Fire and living wood are not very compatible. So, as politely as I could, I declined their generous offer. They also found several casks of what they called Brew from the Dancing Pony in Bree. They said it tasted very good and helped them to feel happy. It was not as clear as a draught from the Entwash, but it had a friendly smell. I did accept this offer. This Brew from the Dancing Pony in Bree had a lively taste to it, but it was not nearly as nourishing as Entwash. After drinking a cask of the brew, a feat which astounded Meriadoc and Peregrin, I must say that my wooden head did feel a little bit lighter. I wondered if I had lost some of my moss, but no, it was all there. Meriadoc said that it was the Brew that did it. I have kept a couple of casks of Brew for the future. My hobbit friends may come back to Fangorn, and I would want to welcome them in a kindly way. But I digress. No, I have not partaken of the Longbottom Leaf.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:38 am

If I ever visit Neverland, I'll be sure to look you up.
Word to your motha!

Treebeard

Post by Treebeard » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:52 am

Hoooom. I have never been to Neverland. I do not think I am the kind of woody that Michael Jackson likes. This is probably a very good thing for me.

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:00 am

Treebeard wrote:Hoooom. I have never been to Neverland. I do not think I am the kind of woody that Michael Jackson likes. This is probably a very good thing for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I guess your right, a hangover is better than a madhouse".
- Henry "Hank" Chinaski

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:15 am

Treebeard wrote:UMass89, by now you should know the difference between a man and an Ent. And as for woman, we Ents have lost the Entwives, and long to find them. If you hear of the Entwives in your part of New England Earth, please send word to Fangorn. There would be a march of Ents such as this present age has never seen!!!

nerd, NERD, NERD, NERD!!!
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:41 am

This thread's on the path to closure if it doesn't get back on track, soon.