Why Barbee?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Glad to oblige. Here are the Lap years, in terms of winning pct., strength of schedule and RPI. Using linear trends, Lap has improved things enough this year that the overall winning pct. is up. But if you look at strength of schedule, as fbiman suggests, you see that it has trended down. However, if you use the old RPI to be fair (as DS suggests) there's enough of improvement in wins this year that the overall trend in the Lap years is up. However, it's close enough that if you used the revised RPI this year, it's down (I didn't bother to show that).

So yeah, wins are up. And I do think we have a better team this year than last. However, a significant reason behind the improved record is a much easier schedule.

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:12 pm

LS71 wrote:
Hyperbole Defender wrote:UMass is 16-11 heading into the A-10 tournament.

Last year we were 10-18 heading into the A-10 tournament.
Last year the A-10 was a helluva lot stronger than it is this year. Yeah their record is better, but the given the weakness of the league, 9-7 and third place in the weaker of the two divisions is nothing to write home about.

Tell the whole story will you? I've got one word for you...context!
If you're looking to make an argument to fire the coach, then there is plenty of ammunition. But there are UMass fans who really just like it better when UMass wins than when they lose and they're happier with 16-11 than 10-18, regardless because they're not entrenched in a position on the coach. Those who are just happier when UMass wins than when they lose have every right to feel that way. Of course, you're more than welcome to try to talk them out of feeling good about UMass basketball and convince them they're wrong to be pleased with the progress from last year to this if that's what you're into.
Oh no you didn't!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:53 pm

Are you one of those fans? I've stated my views. Where do you stand?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:28 pm

I like UMass basketball.
Oh no you didn't!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:37 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote:I like UMass basketball.
Sheer profundity... :roll:

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:39 pm

HD dodging your question........again
Word to your motha!

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:54 pm

Dodging? Not hardly. I recognize that my personal opinon on the coach is of little consequense. I'm just hoping that people who choose not to chime in on the coaching situation and just want to be able to communicate with likeminded fans who put all that stuff to the side and just talk about the teams on the floor prospects and post-season chances to be can able to do so without having to meet some arbitrary criteria set by other posters.

Where do I stand? I like UMass basketball.
Oh no you didn't!

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:04 pm

There are plenty of people here who are more than happy to discuss the team's prospects. Take a look around, there are plenty of threads on this board which do that very thing.

Yet you chose to insert yourself into threads where Lappas is criticized, taking those that bash Lappas to task while offering no alternative viewpoint.

You don't like UMass basketball, you like Lappas.
Word to your motha!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote:Dodging? Not hardly. I recognize that my personal opinon on the coach is of little consequense. I'm just hoping that people who choose not to chime in on the coaching situation and just want to be able to communicate with likeminded fans who put all that stuff to the side and just talk about the teams on the floor prospects and post-season chances to be can able to do so without having to meet some arbitrary criteria set by other posters.

Where do I stand? I like UMass basketball.
You're not the only one who comes here to communicate with likeminded fans. There are many points of view expressed here. I may not understand or agree with positions taken by some and I'm sure the reverse is true as well...and that's OK.

There are no arbitrary criteria being set me either....just want to understand the views of those who post here with regard to UMass basketball and the issues facing the program.

BTW...I don't recall any posts where you DO talk about the team's performnces on the floor.

zuksnj
Junior

Post by zuksnj » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:22 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote:Dodging? Not hardly. .
Exactly, not hardly!
And still heavyweight champ..Umass basketball!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:23 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote: ...I'm just hoping that people who choose not to chime in on the coaching situation and just want to be able to communicate with likeminded fans who put all that stuff to the side and just talk about the teams on the floor prospects and post-season chances to be can able to do so without having to meet some arbitrary criteria set by other posters.....
It seems unreasonable to to talk about the performance of the team or the chances of future performance without addressing the coaching. Or, are we paying coaches hundreds of thousands of dollars for nothing?

While we're at it - the coach inserted himself squarely in the middle of any speculation when he linked his compensation to post-season appearance (a decision I applaud). It seems entirely unreasonable to expect fans NOT to see post-season chances in light of the effect it might have on the future coaching of the team. Or....is it that coaches really don't matter?

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:40 pm

PintOGuinness wrote:You don't like UMass basketball, you like Lappas.
How does accusing me of this impact your life? What is in it for you? Seriously.
Oh no you didn't!

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:51 pm

UMass87 wrote:It seems unreasonable to to talk about the performance of the team or the chances of future performance without addressing the coaching.
What if it isn't unreasonable? Or more to the point, what if others who would like to post don't find it unreasonable and actually preferrable? Do they have to start another board? Or are they simply unable to participate in a manner that they'd prefer until there is some sort of resolution?
Oh no you didn't!

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote:
PintOGuinness wrote:You don't like UMass basketball, you like Lappas.
How does accusing me of this impact your life? What is in it for you? Seriously.
Nothing is in it for me and I could care less about you. Truthfully, who you like, who you don't like, who you sleep with, what you eat for breakfast, where you work, etc. has about as much impact on my life as whether or not it's raining in Santa Fe.

I simply don't care.
Word to your motha!

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:52 pm

But you'll make accusations about me in an attempt to discredit my opinions just the same?
Oh no you didn't!