Why Barbee?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:43 am

Rocks22 wrote:ps VOR, if we rate power based on number of posts, what does that mean about IV?
We all know I think he is a powerful _________ :twisted:

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:56 am

He's a legend in his own mind! :wink: :roll:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:56 pm

Mark Few was only 36 when he took over Gonzaga. It was his FIRST HC job and he's done quite well for himself. Even this year which was supposed to be a "down" year for the Zags he's still got them flying high.

"This season's team had only one senior starter, numerous freshman and sophomores in key roles, and a schedule that included Oklahoma State, Illinois, Washington and Georgia Tech. Throw in the WCC being rated by some as the seventh-toughest conference in the nation, and the stage was set for a Gonzaga pratfall."

And, like UMass, he's done it with a "young" team. :shock:

Please, i'm not saying Smoothe B should get the job if Lappas leaves but let's not be so silly as to think someone without HC experience couldn't do a good job at UMass!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:39 pm

Swampy wrote: Please, i'm not saying Smoothe B should get the job if Lappas leaves but let's not be so silly as to think someone without HC experience couldn't do a good job at UMass!
Unlike Bruiser's case, you are correct. The team has only one direction to go unless "underneath the bottom of the barrel" is still unoccupied (I know that is a little sarcastic but you get the point). I wish that Bru and Lappas coached here in reverse order. Bru was the wrong guy for this progam at the time, but not necessarilly for a head coaching job.

A new guy who is young and has some gas in the tank regardless of HC experience is what this program needs now.
In Matt McCall I trust!

UmassFanatic
Junior

Re: Why Barbee?

Post by UmassFanatic » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:18 pm

Shook187 wrote:Getting Barbee would be a low budget joke. A rookie coach taking over a what may be a 17 win team? We'll only be setting ourselves up to be a 8 win team again and only take steps back.
I just don't understand that. Bill Self took over a 20 game winning team at Kansas and they never took a step back. Now I know he would be a rookie coach but come on.
Go Umass!!!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:35 pm

Bill Self was the head coach at Illinois before Kansas.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:46 pm

And now Self's replacement has a shot at a NCAA title using Self's recruits. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:49 pm

Rocks22 wrote:And now Self's replacement has a shot at a NCAA title using Self's recruits. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
It's funny, all three of the schools affected by Roy Williams decision in 03(UNC, Kansas, Illinois) have a good chance of playing in April.
Word to your motha!

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:59 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:Bill Self was the head coach at Illinois before Kansas.
True my fault.
Go Umass!!!

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:06 pm

PintOGuinness wrote:That being said, I agree that there has been a spike in the Lappas ballwasher posts over the last few days(most notable among them Hyperbole Defender). Maybe all Lappas newphews have jumped into overdrive to save his job?
Once again, you're either not paying attention or intentionally mischaracterizing my posts. Either way, you're wrong.
Last edited by Hyperbole Defender on Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no you didn't!

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Hyperbole Defender wrote:
PintOGuinness wrote:
Used to be VOR wrote:That being said, I agree that there has been a spike in the Lappas ballwasher posts over the last few days(most notable among them Hyperbole Defender). Maybe all Lappas newphews have jumped into overdrive to save his job?
Once again, you're either not paying attention or intentionally mischaracterizing my posts. Either way, you're wrong.
So just to set the record straight, why don't you provide us with an opinion on whether or not you think Lappas should go or stay, rather than criticize who posts what and where?
Word to your motha!

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Old Prospector wrote:Then again, how would HD, shook, et al., know this -- the ones now questioning Barbee only arrived in Amherst following Lappas's train wreck and subsequent damage control. Interesting that those now so damn concerned about Umass basketball and Barbee to start these new threads have only known Umass basketball since 2001, and are always more concerned about saving Lappas's job than saving Umass basketball.
Why are you making things up? Just curious as to why you would feel the need to post something about me that you don't know to be true?
Oh no you didn't!

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:33 pm

PintOGuinness wrote:
Hyperbole Defender wrote:
PintOGuinness wrote: Once again, you're either not paying attention or intentionally mischaracterizing my posts. Either way, you're wrong.
So just to set the record straight, why don't you provide us with an opinion on whether or not you think Lappas should go or stay, rather than criticize who posts what and where?
I think the administration is going to make it's decision on a number of factors, and at no point will the sentiment expressed on this board ever enter into any equation. Therefore, the continuning campaign to dominate any and all conversation with one viewpoint and the dedication to ensuring that anyone that could be interpreted as supporting Lappas are villified, discredited, mischaracterized and generally browbeaten until they either relent or just go away is very easily interpreted as vindictiveness and it doesn't reflect well on the fanbase, not does it make for particularly interesting reading.

A UMass fan SHOULD be able to start a thread expressing appreciation for the Seniors without it turning into more Lappas Bashing or a referendum on which cult of personality REALLY runs things here. It doesn't take much more than to witness the reaction to my posts and the manner in which I'm being mischaracterized to see exactly what I mean.
Oh no you didn't!

Jacks statman
Freshman

Why Barbee?

Post by Jacks statman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:33 pm

I believe the worst mistake the AD could make would be to replace Coach Lappas at this time. I think that we are about to return to compeating as one of the top A10 teams year in and year out with Coach Lappas.
Should the decision be made to make a change I would support going for a young assistant with U. Mass ties like Barbee.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Re: Why Barbee?

Post by UMass87 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:38 pm

Jacks statman wrote:I believe the worst mistake the AD could make would be to replace Coach Lappas at this time. I think that we are about to return to compeating as one of the top A10 teams year in and year out with Coach Lappas. ....
Just curious, doesn't the fact that there are only two scholarship guards (one of whom is a converted small forward) returning next year a concern you?