Why Barbee?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
ElGuapo Hoy
Junior

Post by ElGuapo Hoy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:47 pm

A UMass fan SHOULD be able to start a thread expressing appreciation for the Seniors without it turning into more Lappas Bashing or a referendum on which cult of personality REALLY runs things here. It doesn't take much more than to witness the reaction to my posts and the manner in which I'm being mischaracterized to see exactly what I mean.
Then keep that topic in the right thread. This one is about Barbee.
Please think before you type.

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:01 pm

PintOGuinness wrote:That being said, I agree that there has been a spike in the Lappas ballwasher posts over the last few days(most notable among them Hyperbole Defender). Maybe all Lappas newphews have jumped into overdrive to save his job?
ElGuapoHoy wrote:Then keep that topic in the right thread. This one is about Barbee.
I fixed your post for you, Guap. You quoted the wrong one.
Oh no you didn't!

ElGuapo Hoy
Junior

Post by ElGuapo Hoy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:03 pm

:wink:
Please think before you type.

Jacks statman
Freshman

Post by Jacks statman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:05 pm

UMass87 wrote;
Just curious, doesn't the fact that there are only two scholarship guards (one of whom is a converted small forward) returning next year a concern you?

Yes the lack of a point guard is distressing but until the decision on Coach Lappas is made what can be done? Should The coach be retainded we should have a good one in Austrie. He would still have two scholorships left to add at least one more.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:29 pm

I guess the problem for Lappas or any replacement is that it is very late to be looking for a D1 guard.

dingo38
Junior

Post by dingo38 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:13 pm

nothing spells success like starting two freshman guards.
Owls will deafen us with incessant hooting!

C M P
Freshman

Post by C M P » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:30 pm

Jacks statman wrote:UMass87 wrote;
Just curious, doesn't the fact that there are only two scholarship guards (one of whom is a converted small forward) returning next year a concern you?

Yes the lack of a point guard is distressing but until the decision on Coach Lappas is made what can be done? Should The coach be retainded we should have a good one in Austrie. He would still have two scholorships left to add at least one more.
Can Austrie help the team right of the bat??? I mean, he will be a Freshman (young) and then a sophomore (still young according to lappas) plus freshmen cant play defense unless they got long arms.

Did i make any sense???? :?

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:55 pm

Austrie definately seems like a good recruit. Hopefully we can keep him regardless of who the coach is next year. The fact that he is verbally committed to Lappas is a factor in analyzing any potential personnel change. If there was a change I am strongly inclined to favor Barbee because he is a UMass product who understands the situation and the history.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:13 pm

VoxPop wrote:Austrie definately seems like a good recruit. Hopefully we can keep him regardless of who the coach is next year. The fact that he is verbally committed to Lappas is a factor in analyzing any potential personnel change. If there was a change I am strongly inclined to favor Barbee because he is a UMass product who understands the situation and the history.

Whoa..... Vox made sense... I like it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:16 pm

I always make sense. Wake up and smell the Chai. :wink:

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:18 pm

Made sense, except for the fact that one unranked recruit should be any factor in the decision making to extend the career of a coach with a dismal record and no fan support. I'm not getting down on Austrie, to Lappas' credit I think he can be a great pickup. But the basketball program and its future is infinitely more important than one player.

But other than that I agree with what he said; I hope Austrie comes regardless and I hope Barbee gets a good look for the job.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:09 am

Recruits are a factor as are players who may transfer a factor. We have a nice solid nucleus here and the best team we have had in years. Hopefully they get things cranked up and this whole discussion is mute.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:14 am

It doesn't bother you that the best team we've had here in years is good enough for 4th in the A-10 east?

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:30 am

I think (hope) they will finish in 3rd place. I hoped we'd be 2d. So its a minor disappointment in that we won't get the bye.

This team has shown improvement and has a good chance to win some more games today, in the A10 and hopefully in the post-season. I think UMass should be contending for the A10 title next year if we retain our current players and add a few key pieces. I pretty enthused by the progress they have made and I think if they stay together and work hard they will continue to improve.

Chapel Hill Minuteman
Sophomore

Post by Chapel Hill Minuteman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:58 am

The fact that some people want to be held hostage to Lappas because of one unranked recruit who may or may not leave is a joke. A new coach will bring in his own players anyways.

Keep Lappas and the fact that it will be more of the same losing culture is a given.

A new coach is a roll of the dice but at least there is the possibility of a winning program if not next year but in years after. Lappas is a tired, worn out coach who is still dining out on the fact that he had a head coaching job in the Big East years ago which means dick today.

And for all the people who make the argument that it's not Lappas' fault that the A10 is so weak that it hurts the RPI (which is true), just imagine how much worse the record would be right now if the A10 were having even an average year. For the A10 to be down in lappas' big year should have been a blessing in disguide for him.