WFAN talks about low UMASS attendance

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
jrdupe
Junior

WFAN talks about low UMASS attendance

Post by jrdupe » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:20 am

Not sure if anyone listens to Mike and the Mad Dog, but apparently they are both big Lappas fans. Not sure how this got brought up, but Mike was telling a story about how Dog called him on Tuesday night to say how he could not believe UMASS just lost to Dayton. Dog was saying how important that game was for Lappas's future with the program. Mike joked that his future should not be judged on that game, rather how many empty seats there are every time he watches a UMASS game. They both laughed, and agreed that Lappas was a good guy and should get more time.

While I am not a Lappas supporter, I do support the program 100%. I thought it was interesting to see two of the biggest names in sports talk radio mention Lappas and UMASS in the 5:00 time slot which is the largest listening slot of the day. Not to mention that the broadcast is picked up by the YES network and viewed by everyone around the counrty who has Direct TV.

Even though they were kind of taking a shot at the UMASS fans, it was nice to hear them mention the program. I guess there is no such thing as bad publicity, right? Oh well, just thought it was interesting to hear them mention UMASS even if it wasn't in the best of ways.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:30 am

Francesa and Russo have always been shills for Lappas, going back to Lappas days at Manhattan.

And it really doesn't matter what those two think, they have about as much weight in the decision making process as I do.
Word to your motha!

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:31 am

You're going to hear a lot of print and talk types talking about UMASS in the next couple of weeks seemingly out of nowhere. It's not by accident.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:44 am

Lappas used to be on their show a lot when he was at Nova. He is still on sometimes now. Those two don't follow college hoops that much until the Tourney starts.

jj - just curious - what do you mean by your comments? Is Lappas calling in favors with his media friends to talk him up and save his job?

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:47 am

Orange Julius wrote:jj - just curious - what do you mean by your comments? Is Lappas calling in favors with his media friends to talk him up and save his job?
OJ, I'd be willing to bet that....yes. Just watch as Blaudouchbag in the Glob starts his "Save Lappas" campaign. Chimelis should also be providing his annual "Lappas is great" comments. I'd bet Steve has been calling around to all his fans in the media to get the ball rolling.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:50 am

I heard it and almost drove off the road.

I then pulled over, called the station, and told Doggie that I am counting the hours until Lappas is terminated. He began to argue with me that Lappas has had some big wins this year (UConn, GW) and I countered with the Norteastern, Richmond and Fordham losses, and that the moron is 24-39 in the A10 in his four seasons.

Mike asked me who I thought should succeed him and I answered Tony Barbee. He responded by saying we will never achieve the success of the Calipari years ever again because college basketball does not recognize the Umass program as a perennial contender like Duke or Kansas.

Mad Dog did tell me that I would no better since I am alot closer to the situation, and Mike did say that he didn't think Lappas was going to survive.

The bottom line ... they are both tools.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:52 am

PintOGuinness wrote:Francesa and Russo have always been shills for Lappas, going back to Lappas days at Manhattan.

And it really doesn't matter what those two think, they have about as much weight in the decision making process as I do.
Francesa is a fat toad. He is an extremely over confident know-it-all and I'll bet he never played a minute of varsity level or higher sports. He was probably an equipment manager.

He used to sit on the set for March Madness on CBS and said about 4 words for the entire tournament.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:04 am

Good job having the counter-facts at your finger tips!!!!! Francesca is a blow hard.

Of course Lap is calling in all his chips - he is fighting for his job, right?

I think staying focused on the record - W/L and Attendance wise - will sink him. The losing record in a weakening A10 says a LOT, and people will see attendance as an effect from a less-competitive team, not vice versa.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 am

econalum wrote:I think staying focused on the record - W/L and Attendance wise - will sink him. The losing record in a weakening A10 says a LOT, and people will see attendance as an effect from a less-competitive team, not vice versa.
Amen brother. Those are the facts that matter to the people making the decisions. The rest of this stuff is simply a distraction.

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:30 am

econalum wrote: I think staying focused on the record - W/L and Attendance wise - will sink him. The losing record in a weakening A10 says a LOT, and people will see attendance as an effect from a less-competitive team, not vice versa.
right, because if we don't beat Dookane on saturday we finish with 15 wins with laps guys who have matured and improved and competed in a very BUNK a-10.
"I guess your right, a hangover is better than a madhouse".
- Henry "Hank" Chinaski

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:02 am

PintOGuinness wrote:Francesa and Russo have always been shills for Lappas, going back to Lappas days at Manhattan.
Then you would have to also say they are "shills" for Calipari and a bunch of other coaches also. I personally like listening to them, at least they'll talk about college basketball (unlike those bozos on WEEI)and they generally know what they're talking about.

Junior

Post by 5150 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:08 am

The Question we need to answer is: Can we do better? I think the answer is obvious.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:13 am

[quote="twisters tavern"]I heard it and almost drove off the road.

I then pulled over, called the station, and told Doggie that I am counting the hours until Lappas is terminated. He began to argue with me that Lappas has had some big wins this year (UConn, GW) and I countered with the Norteastern, Richmond and Fordham losses, and that the moron is 24-39 in the A10 in his four seasons

I wish I had listened a little longer to have heard your call. Something about listening to 10 minutes of commericals after they do the 20/20 flash makes me trun the channel everytime. I figured I'd switch over to 640am and listen to Behler and see if he was talking about the "foul" called on Rashaun. Just so happens someone called Bob just as I switched and asked him about it. He said while there was alittle contact, the referee should never have called that foul in that situation.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:17 am

krkess wrote:
Then you would have to also say they are "shills" for Calipari and a bunch of other coaches also. I personally like listening to them, at least they'll talk about college basketball (unlike those bozos on WEEI)and they generally know what they're talking about.
You're absolutely right. To go further, they are also shills for Bill Parcells, Rick Pitino, Joe Torre, and anyone else who gives them more than a five minute interview.

And comparing them to the dolts on WEEI is like comparing Lappas coaching record to Ron Gerlufsens. Both are awful.
Word to your motha!

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:24 am

krkess wrote:
PintOGuinness wrote:I personally like listening to them, at least they'll talk about college basketball (unlike those bozos on WEEI)and they generally know what they're talking about.
Driving to Florida spring break 98' listening to the tournament on the FAN on the way down....ahhh the memories! :D
"I guess your right, a hangover is better than a madhouse".
- Henry "Hank" Chinaski