AA done for season?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:58 am

Perhaps your opinion would hold more credibility if you once posted something of substance rather than posting only 8 times, all critiques of other people's posts.

What are you hiding that you have to use multiple identities?

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:58 am

"Nice job Steve, ruining the end of Anderson's wonderful career here at UMass."

How is this a fair statement to make? Why is it ok to make this very public accusation?

If IV was already in the club, he'd be Kosty.
Oh no you didn't!

carrierustothepromiseland
Senior

Post by carrierustothepromiseland » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:04 am

Kosty wrote:Whatever you say Carrier.......you clearly know more than I. I'm probably just some dumb guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. Clearly you are better than me because you like the coach.
Dude, I f'n hate the coach. I can't wait to see him go, but you take it to a whole new level. Everything that happens is not his fault. Martin flunking out, was that his fault? Should Lap have done his HW for him? The hockey team has had a shitty year as well, is that his fault too?

P.S. I love how any contrary argument on here is turned into a Lap lover just trying to spin something for his guy. That's really intelligent.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:06 am

My argument would be that there is plenty of "reality" to take Lappas to task on over the last four years. Some of these other attacks are just silly. If Lappas had lost more games by sitting Anderson when he was able to play, he would get killed for that as well. I understand why the majority want him gone.

What I think you fail to understand is that when, to an objective person, the criticisms become "out there" they tend to then disregard the legitimate complaints that have been expressed.

Thus my Oliver Stone comment earlier.

The bottom line is that this decision will be decided by simple math.

#1 - If we do not make the post-season, he is gone.

#2 - If we make the post-season and the anticipated revenue increases from a coaching change will supercede the cost of the buyout, then he is gone.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:27 pm

For the life of me I can't figure out what the ^%$&$^% you guys are taking so much exception to.

Birmingham Southern - 38 minutes
Yale - 36 minutes
NU - 40 minutes
Zaga - 40 minutes
UConn - 38 minutes
Miami - 36 minutes
Davidson - DNP
Rider - DNP
BU - DNP
BC - 31 minutes
Temple - 36 minutes
Xavier - 51 minutes!!! (3ot)
SJU - 38 minutes
GW - 42 minutes
FU - 39 minutes
SJU - 38 minutes
SBU - 41 minutes
UR - 38 minutes
SBU - 35 minutes
URI - 38 minutes
FU - 33 minutes
FSU - DNP
LSU - DNP
URI - 6 minutes
TU - 21 minutes
UD - DNP

My memory of the quote from Lappas was that he had "chronic" back problems all season. If that's the case then why the %&$% was he playing him an everage of 38 minutes a game? Kosty is big on this because he and others have been saying for two years that the offense looks better with CC running it then with AA running it.

You may not like ot but there are MANY dimensions of lousiness to Steve Lappas' coaching and thus there are many different potential threads on his lousy coaching. In fact, pretty much any discussion of actual basketball played by UMass and the decisions made in the game are likely to spawn legitimate criticism of Lappas' lousy coaching. He'e been that bad.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:46 pm

If AA had been able to go (which he apparently was) against UConn, yet Lappas kept him out in hopes of preventing a future breakdown and we lost. Can you not tell me we would roast him for that as well.

David Wells has chronic back problems too. The Red Sox will do everything they can to keep him able to play. They will have him work with trainers and strength and conditioning coaches etc. But I can GUARANTEE they will not remove him after 4 inning every start in the hopes he can pitch in October.

Should AA have played less for reasons of Chadwick playing the point yes. But to say a coach should sit a star player because he anticipates an injury would be foolish. It is up to the player and the medical staff to let the coach know if there are any limitations on his play.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:47 pm

And one more thing. Toward the end of his career Larry Bird had chronic back problems. He often stated that he felt the injury got worse when he had to sit during games and that playing was one of the few things that made it feel better.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:55 pm

UMass87 wrote:For the life of me I can't figure out what the ^%$&$^% you guys are taking so much exception to.
Kosty was 100% right in asserting that AA has played a lion's share of minutes up until the FSU game. Today we read that AA might be lost for the rest of the season. Kosty blames it on Lappas.

My point is that we don't know exactly who's to blame. AA might have wanted to play through some of it. The trainers might not have recognized the full extent. And yes, of course, Lappas might have pushed AA too hard. Any of these reasons, and more, are possible.

My problem is using this situation as another piece of ammunition against Lappas. If someday we learn that Lap pushed AA too hard and that's why he's too hurt to play, then I'm in 100% agreement with Kosty. But as of now, we don't have the facts. Kosty found it easy to fit this piece into the overall puzzle of why Lappas needs to go. I don't agree with that.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:29 pm

It's gonna be very interesting to see the topics of conversation on this board in a month or so.

Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:33 pm

I believe you're right. It should get very interesting.

local
Junior

Post by local » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:45 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
MikeUMA wrote:the anti-Lappas agenda
What is THE agenda? Where do I pick up the manual, and where do the meetings take place?
Ali I think they meet just down the hall from the pro Lappas media Cabal you always mention. You know the one that Ron Chimelis is leading as part of the media campaign to save Lappas's job. :roll:
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."- HST

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:29 pm

I cannot blame Lap for the AA back issue - backs are fundmentally hard to diagnose and harder to treat. I am sure AA wanted to play as much as possible as a last semester player and WTF - lots of players have hidden pain and injuries to keep playing.

Lap is really goofy and perhaps not competent, but I doubt he pushed AA to play.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

zombiewoof
Sophomore

Post by zombiewoof » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 pm

1) Intensity of exertion and rest are probably the two most important factors in rehab'ing an injury.
2) The shit that messes up rehab/injury usually happens when fatigued.
3) Chadwick proved himself at point.
4) Most injured seniors with quality options behind them don't play 38mins per game.

Add it all up and I agree with Kosty. AA would LIKELY still play had he averaged 32 minutes per game. By likely, I mean that I believe it prudent to allow the kid some damned rest before he's shot. Crazy, man!

Many players do play through a lot of pain, yet acute back phases are debilitating, often causing not just pain but also loss of legs. An inury "at a site" is never as bad as at the sensory/motor path -- an injured ankle is not the same as nerve impingement at L5, or whatever AA has...anyone know?
This aggression will not stand, man

Hyperbole Defender
Sophomore

Post by Hyperbole Defender » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:26 pm

Ok, so Steve Lappas, probably against the strenuous advice of the medical staff and despite Anderson's sure reluctance to participate in games, is responsible for Anderson's physical breakdown.

Got it.
Oh no you didn't!

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:25 am

Used to be VOR wrote:
David Wells has chronic back problems too. The Red Sox will do everything they can to keep him able to play. They will have him work with trainers and strength and conditioning coaches etc. But I can GUARANTEE they will not remove him after 4 inning every start in the hopes he can pitch in October.
True....but he won't end up with 275 IP either! :?