A question for the coach

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

A question for the coach

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:31 pm

I'd ask this as an Ask The Coach question but I know it won't get touched. Here's a paragraph from Chumpelis' crap today.

Lawrence Carrier, a 6-8 first-year player, has needed more time than expected to work on his defense, and the coaches feel he probably needs more offseason conditioning, too, if he's to get extended minutes.

So my question is.......CARRIER WAS ON CAMPUS ALL LAST YEAR.....WHY DOES HE STILL NEED CONDITIONING WORK???? WHY ARE YOU GUYS NOT DOING YOUR GODDAMN JOBS??????

Here's the link to the fluff piece....if I didn't know better, I'd think Ronnie is related to Steve or is receiving benefits from him in some way.....

http://www.masslive.com/sports/republic ... 648390.xml

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Kosty,

You cannot control how a person conducts himself 24 hours a day. You can create a program, you can make a kid lift and workout, but you cannot control the effort or the desire. You also cannot control what a young man eats or drinks away from practice.

I can tell you from my own experience, we had a vigorous workout schedule, and I would still say 25% of the guys on the team were not in prime shape due to life outside baseball. There is only so much you can control as a coach. With Carrier being out last year, even less was in their control.

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:36 pm

Just a whole lot of more excuses. Wait until tommorow and you will hear some more and none of them will be the coaches fault. Hopefully the end is near for this guys bullshit..

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:Kosty,

You cannot control how a person conducts himself 24 hours a day. You can create a program, you can make a kid lift and workout, but you cannot control the effort or the desire. You also cannot control what a young man eats or drinks away from practice.

I can tell you from my own experience, we had a vigorous workout schedule, and I would still say 25% of the guys on the team were not in prime shape due to life outside baseball. There is only so much you can control as a coach. With Carrier being out last year, even less was in their control.
I can understand all that....but you would think that the coaches would see it in practice EVERY DAY and get on his case about it. Jesus Christ. If they don't think he's got enough conditioning, pull his goddamn ride. The kid signed up to play basketball at a D1 school......if he doesn't put the work in, seeya, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!!! This is beyond unacceptable for a kid to have been on campus almost two years now and he still needs to work on his conditioning.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Kosty,

Once again I understand your frustration, but you are being a bit unrealistic in what you are saying. First off, you cannot "pull his ride" as simply as that. There would be major repracussions if that happened. The fact is that his condition is probably not where it should be, and it effects the amount he plays. This is not different than a player who does not work on his shot as much as he should, or learning to take the ball to the hoop. I remember as late as his junior year Marcus camby needing a blow like every 5 minutes. Some players take conditioning to heart ...some do not.

You can lead a horse to water.....

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:50 pm

What we need is Old Cage as Lawrence's conditioning coach. Or, make sure he attends ALL of the hoops games.

When Cage has been in the house young Mr. Carrier has played splendidly. And, when he's brought his grandfather Speros with him, they've won consistantly! :lol:

LopesRI
Sophomore

Post by LopesRI » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:28 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:Kosty,

I respectfully disagree 100% with this statement. My dealings with the many players and coaches at the University of Kansas over the past 15 years served notice to me that winning and winning attitude are both culturally driven.
At KU, I saw the players work out hard on their own and yes I'm sure these kids enjoyed the collegiate lifestyle (you're God in Lawrence if you're a member of the basketball team). The dedication and committment to winning was evident during the summertime preceeding the upcoming basketball season. Guys hitting the weights and playing full court at the university facilities. No coaches there to observe because their is a culture of winning at KU. The coaches I've met were tough and dedicated people who expected much of their players. The players in turn expected much of themselves. The entire KU community expects the team to flourish and its loyalty and support is rewarded (see the many banners hanging in the rafters at Allen Field House). KU recruits a type of player that understands KU basketball, it legacy and its winning culture (sort of like the Patriots organization) and accepts the challenges of doing those things necessary to succeed.
Maybe Lawrence Carrier and maybe Lappas need to understand that being a great ball player and building a winning program begins with self determination and the desire to do things to make oneself better. The winning ways will follow and with it a "culture of winning". This 'culture" will serve as the behavior "controlling" factor obviously missing at UMass.
I think Carrier, who was highly touted coming out of high school, will dedicate himself this off season both on and off the court. I expect big things from him next season.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Lopes,

I agree with most of what you wrote, but comparing the type of athlete / player we can recruit to Kansas is not quite fair....that is another world of college hoops.

But i understand your point...

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:47 pm

So are you saying that Kansas can't recruit a top 50 kid?? Because that is what Carrier was as a senior in high school.......rated a top 50 recruit. I'm talking about ALL kids......I'm speaking specifically of Carrier in this instance.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:51 pm

[quote="LopesRI]I respectfully disagree 100% with this statement. My dealings with the many players and coaches at the University of Kansas over the past 15 years served notice to me that winning and winning attitude are both culturally driven.
At KU, I saw the players work out hard on their own and yes I'm sure these kids enjoyed the collegiate lifestyle (you're God in Lawrence if you're a member of the basketball team). The dedication and committment to winning was evident during the summertime preceeding the upcoming basketball season. Guys hitting the weights and playing full court at the university facilities. No coaches there to observe because their is a culture of winning at KU. The coaches I've met were tough and dedicated people who expected much of their players. The players in turn expected much of themselves. The entire KU community expects the team to flourish and its loyalty and support is rewarded (see the many banners hanging in the rafters at Allen Field House). KU recruits a type of player that understands KU basketball, it legacy and its winning culture (sort of like the Patriots organization) and accepts the challenges of doing those things necessary to succeed.
Maybe Lawrence Carrier and maybe Lappas need to understand that being a great ball player and building a winning program begins with self determination and the desire to do things to make oneself better. The winning ways will follow and with it a "culture of winning". This 'culture" will serve as the behavior "controlling" factor obviously missing at UMass.
I think Carrier, who was highly touted coming out of high school, will dedicate himself this off season both on and off the court. I expect big things from him next season.[/quote]

EXACTLY!!! Carrier and Deli need to run the track and the stairs together. Lasme needs a weight room buddy. And one of their teammates needs to ride their asses daily to get it done. The attitude is infectious. And it needs to start at the team level. I've seen it happen, helped it happen.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:13 pm

Ah, if only Oliver Lamoureux would have suited up this season things would have been different. I think Lappas needs another year!

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:33 pm

f*ck it, make him coach for life.
"I guess your right, a hangover is better than a madhouse".
- Henry "Hank" Chinaski

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:35 pm

I agree Chemical Ali. Olie's high school averages of 9 pts and 5 boards in O' Canada would have made a world of a difference Stevie. The only consistant entertainment this team has given me is Stevie Wonders excuses. Just when I think they cannot get anymore recockulous Stevie comes through with another. I love how he has started his "We have shown improvement/ we are youg, blah,blah, blah campaign". I have grown to dislike him and get annoyed even looking at him now. I hope this all comes to an end soon.
I used to bench 225 for sets. Now all I do is Ralph Cross!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:44 pm

FRDreams II wrote:I agree Chemical Ali. Olie's high school averages of 9 pts and 5 boards in O' Canada would have made a world of a difference Stevie. The only consistant entertainment this team has given me is Stevie Wonders excuses. Just when I think they cannot get anymore recockulous Stevie comes through with another. I love how he has started his "We have shown improvement/ we are youg, blah,blah, blah campaign". I have grown to dislike him and get annoyed even looking at him now. I hope this all comes to an end soon.

I think we found a cross board poster. The Stevie Wonder reference gives ya away. :wink:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Kosty wrote:So are you saying that Kansas can't recruit a top 50 kid?? Because that is what Carrier was as a senior in high school.......rated a top 50 recruit. I'm talking about ALL kids......I'm speaking specifically of Carrier in this instance.
Carrier was a Top 50 kid going into his junior year. Not so during his senior year because of issues, aomong other things, like conditioning coming off an injury.