A question for the coach

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:48 pm

FRDreams II wrote:I agree Chemical Ali. Olie's high school averages of 9 pts and 5 boards in O' Canada would have made a world of a difference Stevie.
No no no FRD.....you have to factor in the conversion......9 points and 5 boards in Canada is only about 6 points and 2 boards in the State.

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:07 pm

Your right Kosty the 6 pts and 2 boards would get us over the 50 pt marker more often. We should extend Lap's contract ASAP!

IV a.k.a. Sherlock Holmes
I think we found a cross board poster. The Stevie Wonder reference gives ya away.
If you think I am posting under different names you have the wrong guy. I have too busy a life to do such a thing. Also, I have called Stevie B every name in the book at one point or another. You should spend less time in your room and more time at Barsies playing Golden Tee.
I used to bench 225 for sets. Now all I do is Ralph Cross!

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:41 pm

FRDreams II wrote: time at Barsies playing Golden Tee.
:mrgreen:
"I guess your right, a hangover is better than a madhouse".
- Henry "Hank" Chinaski

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:56 pm

FRDreams II wrote:Your right Kosty the 6 pts and 2 boards would get us over the 50 pt marker more often. We should extend Lap's contract ASAP!

IV a.k.a. Sherlock Holmes
I think we found a cross board poster. The Stevie Wonder reference gives ya away.
If you think I am posting under different names you have the wrong guy. I have too busy a life to do such a thing. Also, I have called Stevie B every name in the book at one point or another. You should spend less time in your room and more time at Barsies playing Golden Tee.

LOL!!! Well, I didn't mean different names on this board. I just meant one name here and one name on Masslive.

Other than that, I don't like Barsies :wink: :P
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UM Fan
Senior

Post by UM Fan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:27 pm

LopesRI wrote: I respectfully disagree 100% with this statement. My dealings with the many players and coaches at the University of Kansas over the past 15 years served notice to me that winning and winning attitude are both culturally driven.
At KU, I saw the players work out hard on their own and yes I'm sure these kids enjoyed the collegiate lifestyle (you're God in Lawrence if you're a member of the basketball team). The dedication and committment to winning was evident during the summertime preceeding the upcoming basketball season. Guys hitting the weights and playing full court at the university facilities. No coaches there to observe because their is a culture of winning at KU. The coaches I've met were tough and dedicated people who expected much of their players. The players in turn expected much of themselves. The entire KU community expects the team to flourish and its loyalty and support is rewarded (see the many banners hanging in the rafters at Allen Field House). KU recruits a type of player that understands KU basketball, it legacy and its winning culture (sort of like the Patriots organization) and accepts the challenges of doing those things necessary to succeed.
Maybe Lawrence Carrier and maybe Lappas need to understand that being a great ball player and building a winning program begins with self determination and the desire to do things to make oneself better. The winning ways will follow and with it a "culture of winning". This 'culture" will serve as the behavior "controlling" factor obviously missing at UMass.
I think Carrier, who was highly touted coming out of high school, will dedicate himself this off season both on and off the court. I expect big things from him next season.
I will have to agree with VOR. Somethings, like, as lopes mentioned (self determination & desire), you cannot teach. Notice the word SELF. I would guess the KU players all have that coming in. That is why they became KU players. These kids cannot be babysat 24/7. Shame on Lappas for not finding and recruiting that level of maturity! Shame on us for rooting for a program that doesn't demand it. Umass never did, not even under the great John Caliperi. In case you don't remember Marcus Camby had a horrible work ethic/diet. Skinny as a stick, never worked out, junk food junkie, etc... They said this was the main part of his problem the time he collasped before a game but I'm sure there are a handful of you who will say I'm full of shit. But that is the way I remember it. :?

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:54 pm

Boy, we are young, short armed and now we are short of BREATH? Next excuse please Lap - we are going into the Lame Hall of Fame. If we are out of shape after practices since October- that is on the coach.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...