Chaney suspends himself for Sat

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
local
Junior

Post by local » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 am

Am I over sensative or has this thing gone over the edge. Maybe next week Chaney will ask himself to resign? Linda Bruno has been absolutley absent on this whole situation. I respect Chaney for punishing himself, apparently no one else was going to. I don't expect much from the school but maybe the league might want to pull its head out of its ass on this one and do something. It looks like Chaney is running the whole show here. This has become a disgrace for the A-10 front office.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."- HST

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:00 am

local wrote:maybe the league might want to pull its head out of its ass on this one and do something.
I'm sure Linda has her head somewhere, but I'm betting it's on the flip side of the ass........

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:18 am

Ms. Bruno has chosen the low road, the path of least resistance. She was OK with a self imposed one game suspension. She is OK with Temple adding two more games. She saw no reason to extend the suspencion into the A-10 tournament. The woman has now proven that she is unfit to lead the conference from a moral and legal perspective. She has left the Conference open to civil action by the Bryant family against Chaney and Temple, under the law of parties.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:21 am

*Snickering*

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:22 am

Bruno and Leadership are antonyms. She must go, this is a last straw on lack of leadership - morality and marketing wise she is a failure.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:03 pm

econalum wrote:Bruno and Leadership are antonyms. She must go, this is a last straw on lack of leadership - morality and marketing wise she is a failure.
You think THIS is the last straw??? Go check out the article in the Football folder about the A-10 losing football. THAT'S the last straw!!!!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:19 pm

She has been there 10 years - below propaganda from the A10 web site. She has the longest tenure of any of the previous A10 commissioners by 2 years - but can we honestly say the A10 is an aspirational conference for athletes, or more a mid-major 'also ran' under her tenure??? What has she done except sweep up crumbs left from other conferences' decisions?

10 years? Enough time for me to say - time to go!!!!!

"On June 14, 1994, Linda Bruno was officially introduced as the Atlantic 10's fourth commissioner. As commissioner, Bruno has strengthened the Atlantic 10's membership with the additions of Dayton, Fordham, La Salle, and Richmond, and, beginning next season, Charlotte and Saint Louis. She also negotiated a pair of television deals with ESPN which provides greater exposure for the Atlantic 10's athletic programs. Under her leadership, the Atlantic 10 has increased its championship schedule to 21 sports with the additions of women's rowing, men's and women's outdoor track & field, and women’s lacrosse. Bruno also spearheaded the league’s entrance into Division I football with the formation of the Atlantic 10 Football Conference in 1997. In addition, in an effort to recognize the athletic and academic achievements of all student-athletes, Bruno instituted the Commissioner's Honor Roll, which cites every Atlantic 10 student-athlete with a 3.0 gpa or better."

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:36 pm

This suspension is a misnomer: Chaney is still coaching and running practices. Why his allowed to continue to function in this capacity is pretty astounding considering the seriousness the situation. Temple University is responsible for Chaney and Temple has done nothing as far as I can tell. Chaney is a Temple employee, I wonder if this behavior would be tolerated in other Temple employees.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

local
Junior

Post by local » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:56 pm

Vox

Of course it would be I am sure that Temple employees who steal or harass other employees get to decide their own punishments.

Temple is part of the A-10 conference and if Temple won't do anything the conference should. He should not be running practice he should be suspended.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:13 pm

Chaney's comments showed that in the course of performing his job functions on behalf of Temple (a public university) he intentionally ordered an athlete to repeatedly assault/hard foul an opposing players causing one player a serious injury. Nevertheless, Chaney is still allowed to perform his public university job functions. What? is Chaney immune to all laws, rules and regulations governing Temple empoyees? Who is Chaney's boss and where is she/him on all this?

Hoops411
Junior

Post by Hoops411 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:21 pm

Well Vox when you have 32 years of coaching experience, 708 wins, are a hall of famer, and a well respected person in the community, I think you deserve a little slack.
Just as we do the lord
WE BELIEVE IN FORD!!!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 pm

ESPN's PTI was just pounding Bruno on her lack of presence/stand in this whole mess.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:21 pm

Hoops411 that is basically what our own resident genius coach said "hey, he's a hall of fame coach..."- a real stupid comment by stevie - as if being in the hall of fame entitles people to break the law, violate A10 rules and regs as well as University rules and regs. What a crock of temple owl manure.

Chaney is not above the law because he's a great coach. In that regard its no different then Woody Hayes or Bob Knight - great coaches, flawed/unstable human beings with a track record of abusive conduct culminating in an assault & battery. Chaney is worse since he ordered a "goon" to go into a game and committ repeated intentional hard fouls/assault&battery then the old fool gloated about what he had done and how that proved he was a mean ornery s.o.b. etc..- (uh great coach you're an asshole and proud of it - what a wonderful example to students).

If Temple's position is that Chaney is allowed to skate on his rep, then the A10 and the NCAA should step in and provide the penalties. There should be an investigation into this incident and penalties should be assessed against Chaney and Temple. At a minimum, Chaney should have no further contact with that team pending the outcome of the investigation and Temple should place Chaney on immediate administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. Chaney would hopefully have the deceny to tender his resignation.

I mean this happened a week ago I believe and this old fool is still acting like it is up to him to decide how he is to be punished......Where the hell is the Temple AD, the President of Temple, Linda Bruno, the other A10 ADs, the NCAA, the other A10 Presidents....etc.

dallasminuteman
Junior

Post by dallasminuteman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Couldn't agree more Vov pop-- makes the whole conference look minor league. Bruno is godawful, and has been for a long time-- the last straw for me was UMass getting the road game against Colgate in the 1-AA playoffs two years ago, and not a word form the A-10 office. I always get the impression she doesn't want to make waves, and this is no exception. The inmates are left to run the asylum....we need a dynamic leader, and she ain't it.
Thanks Jack.....

local
Junior

Post by local » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:26 am

Hoops411 wrote:Well Vox when you have 32 years of coaching experience, 708 wins, are a hall of famer, and a well respected person in the community, I think you deserve a little slack.
Yeah that Rader guy was a pillar of the community and leader in his church give him some slack.