Regime Change

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
kdogg8173
Senior
Posts: 1804
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:20 pm

Post by kdogg8173 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:00 pm

I'd put my money on Bowers long before Maxwell

User avatar
Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:56 am

Re: Regime Change

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:14 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:"I don't know (about big crowds)," Maxwell said. "We've only had one really big one since I've been here."

This quote really makes me sad. Maxwell is fun to watch and is going to get even better. Hopefully the new coach will bring some energy to the Bill next season and the players can get the kind of leadership and fan support they deserve.
Yeah and Maxwell will transfer because he's a Lappas guy and then you'll be sad.
Oh well, if that's what it takes to get rid of the retread currently coaching I'll be sad.....and then when I realize that UMass has brought in a coach who can do what he is hired to do I'll get over it. Since MoMax seems to me like a pretty smart kid, I'm sure he'd see the upside to playing his last 2 years under someone who realizes it's probably smarter to call the TO before the run hits 17-0.

User avatar
MullinsManiac
Senior
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Trumbull, CT

Post by MullinsManiac » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:15 pm

Guys, if we accept Shades's theory, we'd never fire Lappas, because this way we wouldn't have to worry about anyone transferring. If that isn't tortured logic, I don't know what is.

Plain and simply, the status quo isn't working, in terms of on-the-court performance or attendance. How anyone could argue that keeping Lappas will help either situation improve is beyond me.

User avatar
ShadesOf96and98
Senior
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: The Big Easy

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Hey, my original point had nothing to do with whether I thought Lappas should or shouldn't be fired. I only said that players are loyal to the coaches who recruit them - just think of all the backlash Don Brown got for leaving his players at NU. I never said these players would FOLLOW Lappas, or even that Lappas would get another job right away. But the chance is certainly there that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well. You just can't deny that.

But go ahead Chemical Ali, call me an asshole. Your original post that created this thread was stupid anyways.

User avatar
Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:56 am

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:24 pm

Shades, when Bruiser was shown the door how many players (not recruits like Basden, King and Branwell) left with him?

User avatar
ShadesOf96and98
Senior
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: The Big Easy

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:27 pm

No that's valid, definately, I'm only saying that the CHANCE is there that it might happen. I can't remember how Bruiser's last team broke down, but I don't know whether the fact that Lappas has so many young players will come into play.

L8RG8R
Freshman
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 10:46 pm
Location: belchertown...

Post by L8RG8R » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:47 pm

When Lappas was recruiting these youngmen he undoubtly was telling them that things were on the upswing at UMASS and the future looked very good for the program. After having seen for themselves how erroneous these projections were, it makes me wonder why any of them would want to follow Lappas to wherever he might be headed.

harbo
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2215
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:22 pm

Post by harbo » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:54 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote: But the chance is certainly there that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well. You just can't deny that.
Then so be it. It happens all the time. The new coach figures out what he has to work with and, hopefully, uses their strengths as best as he can.

User avatar
Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:56 am

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:58 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:No that's valid, definately, I'm only saying that the CHANCE is there that it might happen. I can't remember how Bruiser's last team broke down, but I don't know whether the fact that Lappas has so many young players will come into play.
I say this because outside of the Pitt transfer we don't have a single player locked up. Austrie is still a verbal at this point I believe so the losing out on recruits wouldn't hurt us.

User avatar
Swampy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4120
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:21 am
Contact:

Post by Swampy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:02 am

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:I never said these players would FOLLOW Lappas, or even that Lappas would get another job right away. But the chance is certainly there that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well. You just can't deny that.
ShadesOf96and98 wrote: Yeah and Maxwell will transfer because he's a Lappas guy and then you'll be sad.
Oops, I guess what you said was misconstrued. Sorry.

Let me again ask why you think Max would sit for a year?
And, this may surprise you, but I CAN deny 'that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well.'

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8078
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Post by 78 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:09 am

How come it is okay for Lappas lovers to come on here and conjecture that players like Maxwell will leave if Lappas is canned? :roll:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

User avatar
ShadesOf96and98
Senior
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: The Big Easy

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:35 am

Swampy wrote:
ShadesOf96and98 wrote:I never said these players would FOLLOW Lappas, or even that Lappas would get another job right away. But the chance is certainly there that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well. You just can't deny that.
ShadesOf96and98 wrote: Yeah and Maxwell will transfer because he's a Lappas guy and then you'll be sad.
Oops, I guess what you said was misconstrued. Sorry.

Let me again ask why you think Max would sit for a year?
And, this may surprise you, but I CAN deny 'that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well.'
I said you can't deny there's a CHANCE...and you say I don't read carefully.

User avatar
Swampy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4120
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:21 am
Contact:

Post by Swampy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:42 am

One more time just for you Shades.
ShadesOf96and98 wrote: Yeah and Maxwell will transfer because he's a Lappas guy and then you'll be sad.

User avatar
MullinsManiac
Senior
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Trumbull, CT

Post by MullinsManiac » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:44 am

So here are the options:

1) Keep the status quo with a coach that has sent the program into a downward spiral, but keeping the roster relatively stable.

2) A coaching change that will have the effect of rejuvenating the program and the fan base, but possibly leading to players loyal to the old regime transferring.

No question there are risks with both scenarios, but how can anyone possibly argue that the status quo is acceptable?

User avatar
ShadesOf96and98
Senior
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: The Big Easy

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:04 am

Swampy wrote:Let me again ask why you think Max would sit for a year?
And, this may surprise you, but I CAN deny 'that if Lappas goes, those he recruited would go as well.'
Why do ANY transfers sit out a year? Why did Mike Lasme sit out a year? Why do you think Max WOULDN'T sit for a year? What if the new coach told him he didn't want him to play point guard?

And again, if you read carefully, you'd realize that what i said was "You can't deny there's a CHANCE players might leave."

Post Reply