Maurice Maxwell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Fishy
Freshman

Maurice Maxwell

Post by Fishy » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:17 am

Seems to have committed to UMass. He's a 6'6" wing from Lutheran Christian in Philly.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:22 am

Where did you get this info Fishy?

Fishy
Freshman

Word of mouth

Post by Fishy » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:41 am

I was talking to a friend about Roosevelt Lee and Jamual Warren, two possible UConn recruits, who had gone to Lutheran after Milford closed down. He mentioned that a teammate, Maxwell, had visited UMass a week ago and committed to them. It's not much, but you can rely on it.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Maxwell signed with Umass

Post by FRDreams » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:59 am

Maurice Maxwell is listed as signed with Umass on fansonly.com. He is only listed as a prospect. No other info on schools that looked at him or how high a prospect he is. I am not sure if I should be happy or not with the signing, hopefully he can contribute.

UmassCA

Some info on Maurice Maxwell

Post by UmassCA » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:19 pm

Here is some info I got off of the GW recruiting site on this kid.

He sounds l;ike he good be a good get for the program.

Maurice Maxwell

School: Philadelphia Lutheran Philly Pa
Position: SG

NOTES

Posted by: BM
Insiders reported his verbal to UMass on 4/3/03.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoopScoop 3/12/03: "St. Joseph, George Washington, Massachusetts, Colorado, and St. Bonaventure are showing the most interest in 6'6 Maurice Maxwell from Philadelphia (Lutheran) PA."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranked #130 in the country by PrepStars. Lucas is ranked #71 in the same list (7/02).

From Ted Silary site 12/21/01:

"The Jaguars were led by sr. F 6-5 Maurice Maxwell (8-for-13 FG, 5-for-5 FT, 21 pts), who possesses a silky smooth baseline J. He also slashed his way to the hole for scores. Late in the game with his team trailing by six, Maxwell was hit with a tech by referee Tom Skellan for arguing a call. He needs to add weight and get a little stronger, but he could turn into a steal for a D-3 school."

From Amauro Austin on 1/23/02:

"He got most of his help from rail-thin 6-5 slashing forward Maurice Maxwell, who came up large with 22 points, 8 boards, 2 dimes, 2 picks, amd 3 blocks. This kid has been putting up numbers all season. Maxwell has a track star's body and looks like one on the court as he'll run and jump all day."

Posted by: Fly on the Wall
Maxwell visited GW on the weekend of January 18-19.

Ted Silary: "UC sr. small forward Maurice Maxwell. I'm not sure he's quite 6-5, but he has good feet, a calm presence in traffic and a killer medium-range jumper, which he can hit on the move. Approachwise, he reminds me of '00 Mansion star Omar Thomas, in that he doesn't mess around with the ball. I like this guy. A lot. He shot 9-for-12. He looks like someone who will continue to improve, especially as he adds weight."

Posted by: herve
Wiry build and aggressive at both ends, he showed the ability to shoot it from deep as well as drive to the basket and finish. Listed as a junior, he's a mid to high major player right now.

Posted by: BC
Maxwell Drawing D-1 Interest By: Russ Blake Date: August 21, 2002 Maurice Maxwell , a quick and long 6-5, 180 pound swingman from Lutheran Christian Academy in Philadelphia, Penn., is an intriguing prospect drawing lots of recruiting attention this summer. Maxwell is a lanky and fast player who thrives in up tempo settings. Despite lacking the strength to finish in traffic, his long extension aids him in finishing on forays to the bucket. He's an adequate ball handler whose lithe frame at times allows him to get bumped off the basketball. Maxwell, who played with the Coca-Cola Elite squad at this past weekend's Sonny Hill Future Stars Tournament in Philadelphia, told Rivalshoops that he has been offered thus far by George Mason and George Washington. He took an unofficial trip to George Washington back on Aug. 5. Others who are in the mix include UMass, St. Bonaventure, Illinois, Florida State, Washington, James Madison, Coppin State and Siena. Maxwell is entering his sixth year of school after spending two years apiece at Dobbins H.S. and University City H.S. in Philly. He transferred to Celestial Prep in Philly last year, but that school is now going by the name Lutheran Christian. Last season at Celestial/Philadelphia Prep, Maxwell averaged 16 points, five rebounds, five assists and one steal per game. He said he has a 2.9 GPA but has yet to take the SAT or ACT tests. Maxwell played with Sam Rines' #1 squad at both the adidas Big Time Tournament and the Best of the Summer Tournament on the west coast last month. He actually kicked off the summer at a session of Rich Marcucci's Atlantic Cape Camp in South Jersey.

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:58 pm

(Damn...I wish I had kmac's format to rip-off right about now. :roll:

This is from Mike Sullivan's RivalsHoops.com. It is not being reprinted in its entirety. Please visit RivalsHoops.com for more.

February 6, 2003
Maxwell Still Wide Open
Mike Sullivan

Maurice Maxwell, a quick and long 6-5, 180 pound swingman from Lutheran Christian Academy in Philadelphia, Penn., is expected to receive some evaluation looks over the next couple weeks, according to his head coach Darryl Schofield. "Memphis, George Washington, Oklahoma State, San Jose are coming in the next couple of weeks to look at him," Schofield said. "He just has to relax. He has had some great games for us."

Maxwell is a lanky and fast player who thrives in up tempo settings. His long extension aids him in finishing on forays to the bucket. He's an adequate ball handler and is starting to get a little bit stronger on his drives to the basket.

LouMass
Junior

Post by LouMass » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:07 pm

MTV is up on the latest as usual. I give Ronnie C. a week to break this story.

http://www.gazettenet.com/umhoop/04032003b/4804.htm

Mr. Dean

Re: Maxwell signed with Umass

Post by Mr. Dean » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:03 pm

FRDreams wrote:Maurice Maxwell is listed as signed with Umass on fansonly.com. He is only listed as a prospect. No other info on schools that looked at him or how high a prospect he is. I am not sure if I should be happy or not with the signing, hopefully he can contribute.

I don't remember Viggiano being on anybody's radar screen last year and
I certainly was pleasantly surprised by his performance this year.
It would be great if Maxwell provides a similar surprise next year.

I am sure we all would like the Minutemen to be able to sucessfully recruit
Top 50 players, but it is not going to happen at this time. Hopefully, Maxwell is a kid that works at his game and improves each year.

FRDreams
Sophomore

maxwell

Post by FRDreams » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:19 pm

Sounds better than I thought. Seems to be very versatile. He plays the 1,2,and 3 spots. God knows we need a scorer. Maybe, he will be another jeff v.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:52 pm

We definitely need a scorer, but even worse we need a couple of shooters. We need guards who can hit consistently from 15 feet and out.

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:06 pm

:!: Disclaimer: This is not being posted in its entirety. If you would like to read this article (and many more), please subscribe to PrepStars.com.

Maxwell To UMass
By Jeff Goodman
[email protected]
April 3, 2003

On the heels of the news that freshman guard Mike Lasme wants to transfer from UMass, the Minutemen might have filled his spot with another wing guard.

Maurice Maxwell may not be quite as athletic as the 6-1 Lasme, but he brings more versatility and size to the table.

The 6-6, 170-pound Maxwell attended Philadelphia Lutheran Academy (Pa.) this season after transferring from University City (Philadelphia).

Maxwell averaged 14 points and 5 boards as a junior and did a little bit of everything this past season, including leading the team at 19 points per game.

"His potential is really unlimited," Lutheran coach Darryl Schoefield said. "He can put it on the floor, shoot the three and is just a big-time scorer."

He was also recruited by George Washington, Oklahoma State and St. Bonaventure, among others.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:34 am

i wish we had some people who were taller than 6'9"

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:46 am

Maurice Maxwell may not be quite as athletic as the 6-1 Lasme, but he brings more versatility and size to the table.
Looks like Lappas is replacing an athlete with a basketball player. Nothing wrong with that!

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:35 am

:D He sounds like a contributor which will definately help our bench. Is he going to be able to play right away though or will he have to sit out next season. It sounded kind of iffy from the info I read.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:41 pm

I read something about him that said he was fully qualified and can play right away.