For Entertainment Purposes Only

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:14 pm

Webster 75 wrote:What a group of pathetic assholes. If you don't give a shit about the coach, how about the players. The team is 15-9. On Saturday they play a game in which a win would give them a good shot at a first round bye in the A10 tourney. Isn't that more important than guessing when the coach will be fired? How demoralizing this must be to the players when the so called fan board can't be bothered with the season because every one is preoccupied with the coach.
You still don't get it, do you? The UMass AD decided UMass basketball was a business a long time ago. We are its customers. This is reflected in everything they do. If we think 15-9 (with 3 OT wins against the bottom 20% of D1 basketball) against a weak-ass A10 schedule is insufficient to overcome the crappy results of the previous three seasons then that is what it is. We are right precisely because we are the customers.

Steve Lappas and other A10 coaches get paid lots of money because the expectations are high and the pressure is high. It's now a business. Deal with it.

Be a fan of a Patriot or Ivy league school if what you are after is a purer version of college athletics. UMass sold its soul long ago. Don't blame the fans.

Webster 75
Freshman

Post by Webster 75 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 pm

You're right, I don't get it. I'm not a consumer of Umass, I'm a proud alum. My allegience is to the basketball team, not the coach. Even though I have an opinion as to the current coaching situation, I also recognize that I'm not the person in charge of deciding his fate. Even though I have consistently been a financial supporter of the team, I would never be presumptuous enough to demand that either I am listened to or I will withdraw my support. Whether the coach is Steve Lappas or Bruiser Flint or Ron Gerlufson I want Umass to win every bball game (or any other sport for that matter) that they play in. If I have concerns about the coach, I will direct them privately to the AD. It's too bad that so many on this board have allows their egos to overshadow their allegience. So no, I don't view Umass basketball like I do a tube of toothpaste or even a pro team for that matter.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:16 pm

If you support the team financially, then you are either a consumer of the team's product, or a philanthroper. Sheesh, where's econalum when you need him. :o

I made my pick before I knew about the details of the two year guarantee. I'll stick with it though as an outside chance of a last year buyout.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:25 pm

Webster - re-read what you wrote. It makes no sense in the current environment. If your allegiance is to UMass basketball then presumably your allegiance is to the program and not to a single season's team. If that is the case then doesn't your allegiance demand that you speak out when you see someonme doing damage to the prorgram? Steve Lappas has very demonstrabl;y harmed UMass athletics and the UMass basketball program. Your supposed allegiance should demand that you do all you can to stop him from doing further damage.

I'm curious about your answers to the following questions:

- who does an A10 basketball team exist for?

- why do A10 basketball coaches have a base salaries of around $350K per year?

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:29 pm

MullinsManiac wrote:My birthday is March 22, so maybe the hiring of Tony Barbee will be my present. 8) 8)
what is the obsession with Barbee? what has he done as a coach to garner any support for the umass job?
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Webster 75 wrote: If you don't give a shit about the coach, how about the players.
How do you separate the two? They are inseparably part of the same team and even moreso, the same program. If there is short-term pain for the long-term gain, then so be it.
Webster 75 wrote:How demoralizing this must be to the players when the so called fan board can't be bothered with the season because every one is preoccupied with the coach.
How demoralizing it must be for the players to realize that if the Red Sox had not won the World Series last fall, there would have been 2000 fewer people at the URI game. The fan board is a small component of the UMass fanbase. A large portion of the UMass fanbase is showing up this season wearing red shirts with silver nametags.

The ole' swayback
Sophomore

Post by The ole' swayback » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm

Thought I would bring this to the top...
March 15 -- 2:30 p.m.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:56 pm

Here's entertainment for ya...playing the Michelob Ultra commercial after the game..."reward yourself"...yea, sure!!!
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Almontis
Junior

Post by Almontis » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:57 pm

I second R&G. Monday, March 14 - 11:00 AM
And yeah, I do feel like "rewarding myself" right now.

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:02 pm

I like my pick more and more. Monday at noon is looking about right.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:09 pm

If it does happen it will be soon.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:32 pm

Tuesday March 15 - the Ides of March - 9-noon.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 pm

MikeUMA wrote:March 11, 5pm-11pm, some kind of news will hit the wires.

phil: what's the criteria? An official statement from the school? A media report that he will be canned at X date and time?
In hindsight, my original pick was assuming that we wouldn't have a good enough record to be on the NIT bubble. Since now we have to wait for the selections to come out late Sunday night, I'm changing my pick:
March 14, 4pm.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 pm

I just pissed my pants thinking about this. We're going from one of the darkest days of UMass hoops to a very bright future.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 pm

Where's Webster and Vox right about now?