Score one for Marty.....

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Score one for Marty.....

Post by Old Cage » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:31 am

It's terrific to have Marty Dobrow back on the UMass scene. It's worth buying a Globe these days as he is their correspondent for our home hoops games.

Lead paragraph today: In a GRINDER of a game, Jeff "Big DELI" Salovski might have forever ended his SUB status by becoming a HERO."

Pulitzer Prize - doubtful, but it made my morning.

Strangely, a very inferior AP story is what the Globe has up on their website.

PS: For those who don't know Marty, he is the author of "Going Bigtime, The Spectacular Rise of UMass Basketball", a must read for all here.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:08 am

Occasionally the real article doesn't make their primary page. If you do a search though, sometimes a better one comes up, like today:
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2 ... _distance/

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:57 pm

he is a good writer and will give the team a favorable slant ; the downside is that the glob no longer feels it necessary to send one of their sports reporters west to follow the team.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:44 pm

Uh, I think Marty now works for the Globe. This where the above column is located.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

JD
Sophomore

Post by JD » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:07 pm

He's not a full-time Globe employee. Just freelances by writing the UMass Hoops coverage.

Dewey
Sophomore

Post by Dewey » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:35 pm

m626t wrote:he is a good writer and will give the team a favorable slant ; the downside is that the glob no longer feels it necessary to send one of their sports reporters west to follow the team.
He is a good writer. He'll give the team an FAIR slant.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:44 pm

The game, played before a record-low Mullins Center crowd of 2,013 (held back in part by the snow), ended a six-game homestand, the Minutemen's longest in more than 70 years. The road has been where the heartbreak is for the Minutemen, having gone 0-2 this season, and 2-12 a year ago. Perhaps, though, with a stop at the corner Deli, their fate might change.

This guy is good..
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:47 pm

JD wrote:He's not a full-time Globe employee. Just freelances by writing the UMass Hoops coverage.
What difference does that make as long as he is covering the game? Unless you're Marty's business manager?
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Rudy Ruettiger
Sophomore

Post by Rudy Ruettiger » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:52 pm

I think JD is just responding to FBIman's post about Marty working for the Globe (right above JD's post). :wink:

In the Globe's online edition, the sports section has headlines on BC, Duke, and Vermont. None on the UMass win.

Oh, and UMass-Lowell's win over Northeastern in hockey is on there, too. :?

JD
Sophomore

Post by JD » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:49 pm

I was just responding to FBIman, Sarge.

But the main difference to folks that like to read about UMass hoops in the Boston paper is that I don't believe Freelancers get travel expenses covered. They just get paid for the story.

So...unless Marty covers his own travel costs, you won't be reading away game stories by him about UMass in the Globe.

If I'm wrong about this, someone correct me.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:33 pm

Living on the South Shore and getting that version of the Glob, they didn't even have a goddamn boxscore in the paper. That's bush league.

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:03 pm

Kosty wrote:Living on the South Shore and getting that version of the Glob, they didn't even have a goddamn boxscore in the paper. That's bush league.
Hope you got the Southeastern Mass.... I mean, UMass Dartmouth scores.

Ewan's Dad
Sophomore

Post by Ewan's Dad » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:58 pm

Early editions of the Globe had the AP's UMass story on the front page of the sports section. In late editions, that story was replaced by the BC-Providence game, and Dobrow's UMass story was the lead article on an inside college hoops roundup page.

I don't care about Marty's employment status, all I know is he's a better writer than 90 percent of the Globe's sports staff and he will be fairer on UMass coverage than any of their hacks.
There's nowt wrong wi' gala luncheons