Vote on Invitation has Occured

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Vote on Invitation has Occured

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 16, 2003 5:36 pm

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat May 17, 2003 9:55 am

Combined from another thread from Orange Julius

Check out this scenario from the Cincinnati Enquirer. I've been reading more and more of this with regard to the Catholic schools and we won't be included. The more I think about this I really don't want Miami, BC & Syracuse to jump ship because we'll be another Holy Cross in no time. This weekend's Big East meetings not only control the fate of those schools but likely our future. :(

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/0 ... ory16.html

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat May 17, 2003 9:56 am

Combined from another thread, from Old Prof:

I've been reading the Globe's Mark Blaudschun's mostly BC/Big East perspectives on this for the last two weeks. Where's Linda Bruno and her A-10 operatives on this? I've read nothing about the A-10; am I missing something? :roll:

floormastersqueeze
Freshman

Post by floormastersqueeze » Sat May 17, 2003 1:04 pm

The Cincy Enquirer piece is probably the best thought out article I have seen.

Even so, I am not sure the football Big East schools would give up power to just to form a football conference (Great Eight in the Cincy article). Wouldn't they risk being out of the BCS scenarios forever?

Pitt to Big Ten makes sense but then again so does Penn St. to a Big East keeping football.

UMass and the remaining A-10 schools are screwed because they don't have football. It is possible still that the Big East basketball schools could expand regionally and pick up a few A-10 schools. St. Joes, Dayton, and Xavier make sense. And unfortunately that may mean going completely Catholic--expanding the Big East to the western shores of the Mississippi and St. Louis (along with De Paul and Marquette). Just don't expect many of these midwestern schools to send fans to the Garden for a conference tourney.

The neutered A-10 (maybe UMass should have chosen the Geldings as a new mascot) will be an oft forgotten source of occasional upsets. Not much excitement here, lets hope the Minutemen can schedule a tough non-conference slate.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat May 17, 2003 1:34 pm

I think that is highly doubtful. He has added so many league etc. I think it is very wishful thinking on a Cincinnati/Xavier fan's part.
While everyone has said the Big East would fold, I am not so sure. If Miami does go they would need to take both BC and Syracuse with them . Otherwise is would not be a go. If Trangeses can convince either Penn State to bolt big 10 or Notre Dame to go Big East in Football, the whole ACC thing would collapse no matter what Miami did.

Go U

Post by Go U » Sat May 17, 2003 1:43 pm

Lots of doom and gloom around here. Isn't anyone positive or optimistic about the chances of us bettering our situation???

"I think" the best news so far is that BC has been invited to join the ACC. "IF" they make the move, that leaves the Big East without a Mass/Boston member.

I don't care what anyone says, if you are a major conference, competing for tv time, be it the Big East, the A-10, a revamped C-USA, or some new name conference, you better have a school that can draw viewers from the 6th largest TV market in the country.

I would argue that from 1991-1996, UMass was as big, if not bigger than BC in Boston!! Remember the first Commonwealth Classic......WE filled that building. BC couldn't dream of playing a game there vs. anyone else, and drawing even 10,000. Durring that era, we could have played any top 35 team and filled that place, just as we did several times in Worcester.

UMass is the STATE UNIVERSITY. Durring good times, UMass was a MUCH bigger draw than BC durring it's own good times.

Hopefully a smart conference commisioner looks at UMass for it's potential, and they wouldn't have to look far to see it's potential, just look back 7 years ago and see what the program meant to the State of Mass., including Boston!!!

:evil:

Go U

Post by Go U » Sat May 17, 2003 2:04 pm

floormastersqueeze wrote:The Cincy Enquirer piece is probably the best thought out article I have seen.
The article referenced above appears to have been written to excite it's readers, i.e. "Excitement Factor"???!!!

I'm sure it succeeded in making for a fun morning read for any Xavier or Cinci fan, but besides that, the article is simply a "WISH LIST" for the city of Cinicnnati.

I don't think anyone knows what will happen, but I can't imagine anyone thinks an all Catholic league is a good idea..............and I'm a Catholic.

I sure as heck wish we could go 1A Football. Even if it meant playing games in Foxboro for 4 or 5 years. This would seem to be perhaps our last opportunity to hook up with a conference for some time.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sun May 18, 2003 8:12 am

Blaudschun writes about this today. The last paragraph speaks volumes.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/138/s ... ACC+.shtml
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Sun May 18, 2003 10:13 am

fbiman wrote:Blaudschun writes about this today. The last paragraph speaks volumes.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/138/s ... ACC+.shtml
You are right - they'll be left in the cold - but they'll be left with Va Tech and Pitt among others with the prospect of adding schools such as Louisville & Cincinnati to fill football and make a dynamite basketball league (maybe even take Temple from the A-10). And, with what I've been saying all along I'm much more concerned about what this means to us as WE could be at a huge disadvantage if you read the paragraph BEFORE the last one where Northeastern and BU go the A-10 where we might be stuck. Everything I've read on this is that schools are really trying to position themselves for after 2005 when the BCS will expire and a new deal will be negotiated with a new system. We won't be part of it because of 1-AA football and if we aren't part of the Big East castoffs (St. John's, Georgetown, PC ,etc.) then we'll be so irrelevant the past few years will be looked back at with a melancholy feeling.

UMassFrosh06
Freshman

Post by UMassFrosh06 » Sun May 18, 2003 12:38 pm

Go U wrote: I sure as heck wish we could go 1A Football. Even if it meant playing games in Foxboro for 4 or 5 years. This would seem to be perhaps our last opportunity to hook up with a conference for some time.
You need an average attendance of 17,000 to stay in D1. I think it's safe to say that UMass would not draw an average of 17,000 people to their home games. Unless they are able to do something like Temple. They bring in Penn State once every few years which sells out the Vet. Penn St. does it to make their alumni in Philly happy, and Temple does it to raise their attendance average. That is the only way they are able to meet the requirement. Althought I don't know who UMass could bring in that would draw that many people. B.C. would bring in a good crowd, but I don't think it would have nearly the same impact that Penn St. does for Temple.

GOODY
Sophomore

Post by GOODY » Sun May 18, 2003 8:57 pm

WE always get the shaft. I think it all started when we broke away from the ECAC and helped form the original Eastern Eight Conference! Most of those original members are now in the Big East, but we could never draw a sniff!

Mass Grad
Junior

Post by Mass Grad » Mon May 19, 2003 6:25 am

My understanding is that we were offered Big East membership on two occasions in the past and we declined. I have been told this by some who are suppose to know. I do not know why we declined, or the time frame of the offers.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon May 19, 2003 7:02 am

I'm a Penn State grad and I can tell you there is no way in the world Penn State will leave the Big Ten. It will never happen.

Penn State hasn't played a game at the Vet since the early 90's. They haven't given Temple a home game since 94 at Franklin Field. The days of going down there to help them out have been over for a decade.

AlPatino
Junior

Wetzel Article

Post by AlPatino » Mon May 19, 2003 7:00 pm

Here is an article with a more hopeful scenario for us. Mentions positive aspects of UMASS as a Big East member including the fact that we have a larger alumni base than BC. Good to at least see us mentioned as a possible member.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... ry/6380385

nale
Hall of Fame

Re: Wetzel Article

Post by nale » Mon May 19, 2003 7:49 pm

Nice find Al. Good article.

This is a league I would be happy to be in.
The current Big East basketball only schools Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova keep the BIG EAST name, Notre Dame stays for basketball,
Dayton, DePaul, Marquette, Massachusetts and Xavier are added.

The article makes a good case for us in such a league.
"Four are Catholic schools in big cities. UMass
provides Providence a New England rival, and a bus trip for road games for not just the Friars but St. John's and Seton Hall. It also gives the league an entrée back into the Boston TV market, where UMass has more alumni than any
other school, BC included."

As an added bonus would be UConn would NOT be in the Big East anymore. Sweet if it would only happen. Of course this is only one of a million ways this thing could shake out but its nice to dream.
"This is my dream job''