Big East/ACC latest rumors

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Naples

Big East/ACC latest rumors

Post by Naples » Mon May 12, 2003 6:04 pm

The latest I've read is if the Big East basketball-only schools add some additional members that they won't be looking at UMass or URI. They've got their eyes on Xavier, DePaul and Marquette.

floormastersqueeze
Freshman

Post by floormastersqueeze » Mon May 12, 2003 9:08 pm

I have yet to figure out how far the dominoes are going to fall and which way.

1) Miami is begging to be in the ACC and will likely get ACC approval (no brainer).
2) BC and Syracuse would go if properly asked BUT this needs approval of 7 current ACC schools. The intent is to get 12 football teams so they can get a football playoff but Duke and UNC may think it is too high a price for their precious basketball programs. One other dissatisfied ACC school (too much travel for Wake?) and this part of the deal is botched.
3) The left behind football Big East schools would then have a dilemma. If they lose three, the dominoes could fall faster with the Big East picking up a few C-USA football schools (like Louisville, Cincy, Memphis--all of which will do well in basketball). Temple could be made a full-fledged member.
4) The basketball only schools in the Big East could be placated at this point but C-USA would now be in turmoil with its geographic center cut out. It is possible then that the basketball C-USA and BE schools (all Catholic except Charlotte) would start looking at their own basketball-only conference. This brings in a lot of other variables but your scenario that the Big East would "add" Marquette, DePaul, and Xavier leaves out St. Louis (who has ties to the others and would be likely be part of the same package).
5. Moving Xavier or Dayton into a Catholic/basketball led conference may start dominoes moving in the A-10 direction. Temple would be a possible target for football BE (even with their sorry program). A-10 schools who want to play football may be offered but I don't see many going. The A-10 could retrench a bit and pick up a few quality mid-majors.

All speculation but most of the press I have read about this only seem to talk about the ACC and the Big East; leaving out the obvious impact these changes have on other conferences (like A-10, C-USA and maybe the MAC).

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Tue May 13, 2003 12:32 am

I must admit that floormastersqueeze, and his corresponding picture, are my favorite name and picture on this board. Outstanding!

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Tue May 13, 2003 6:42 am

Don't buy into any of the rumors that the ACC will not get the 7 votes. The Big East as we know it is over. If Miami wants to join, they will get the votes. Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech could MAKE that happen by threatening to walk. It hasn't gotten that messy yet. The only negative ANYONE can find is that the ACC would lose its annual home and home series.

While nobody thinks the Big East could keep a BCS spot without Miami, BC and Syracuse, there is still an outside shot the conference could keep football. Programs like Louisville are strong in both revenue sports. The problem will be finding other replacements. The non-football player swould hold the cards (votes) though. So the football teams might have to walk. and while UMass and URI would be fine regional additions, Xavier, DePaul and Marquette do add larger markets and fit better with the rest of the schools.

One thing is for sure, if the Atlantic 10 loses Xavier and Dayton, as well as Temple (to a new all-sport conference with the Big East football schools), it'll be a tough spot. We might have to drop our policy and join the CAA in order to survive. I just don't see the A10 any better than the CAA if there is no Xavier, Temple or Dayton.

If the dominoes do fall with Miami, Ian is going to have to be very aggressive with the Big East non-football schools. Perhaps they could be convinced that keeping 1-2 state schools will help the overall image of the Big East and that UMass and URI/Temple, etc could help out.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue May 13, 2003 7:40 am

There is a big article in the NYTimes today about Bobby Bowden - FSU - wanting Miami in. You have to be registered to read it. Note his comment in this excerpt about going all the way up to New York. I assume this means Cuse.

"I want Miami," Bowden said in a telephone interview today at the A.C.C.'s annual spring meeting. "And then go up, all the way up to New York, and that would put the A.C.C. all up and down that East Coast."

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Tue May 13, 2003 9:04 am

"I want Miami," Bowden said in a telephone interview today at the A.C.C.'s annual spring meeting. "And then go up, all the way up to New York, and that would put the A.C.C. all up and down that East Coast."

I guess New England isn't on the coast anymore!

umass94

Post by umass94 » Tue May 13, 2003 9:48 am

OBG: I beleive he was referring to NY in the context that Cuse would be in the ACC. Upstate NY being North of Boston I think by default he was including Boston

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue May 13, 2003 10:06 am

Call me crazy, but some of these reports really have me worried. Early on, the articles I'd seen pretty much all assumed that UMass would end up as part of a new Big East basketball-only league. Now the articles I'm seeing all mention a 9 team 'Catholic' league emerging from the Big East ashes with UMass left in a decimated A10. (Most of these scenarios suggest Xavier, Marquette and possibly Dayton to the BE basketball league and Temple to the BE football league.)

If this comes to pass, our hopes of returning to the national hoops scene are pretty much dead in the water, as the A10 will be left as a shell of it's former self. I've got a bad feeling here....

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Tue May 13, 2003 11:16 am

:( This board lately reminds me of a wake! Why borrow trouble? We have no control over what will happen with realignment. Why not wait until we see what happens before we start hanging crape.
What ever happened to "Sufficient unto the day is the evil there of."

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue May 13, 2003 12:30 pm

I didn't mean to get anyone's undies in a bunch, it just seems to me that this has the potential to have a major impact on the school we're all interested in, far beyond the nickname they go by, yet all we seem to be able to do is go round-and-round about the mascot.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Tue May 13, 2003 1:00 pm

obg, I respectfully disagree with you.

If Miami, BC, and Syracuse move to the ACC, McCaw better be in a position to take advantage. He better proactively seek to join a conference, however it is configured, that will raise the profile of the program. Sitting around on his arse will ensure that we play in some third rate mid major conference with little national exposure.

This issue is far more important than the mascot issue, IMHO.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

zultr
Sophomore

Post by zultr » Tue May 13, 2003 1:24 pm

fbiman wrote:This issue is far more important than the mascot issue, IMHO.
Of course it is; aside from the budget cuts, it is THE issue, which is precisely why choosing to waste time on the mascot makes them look so foolish. As for the attititudes around here, I don't like how things look to be shaking out and I have little confidence in our administration - based on it's recent track record - to put UMass in the best position to succeed. If McCaw doesn't fight to get UMass involved in some major new league, they'll be stuck in a shell of an A-10, dreaming of breaking .500 so they'll have a shot at getting the lone automatic bid. Just think of how many shirts you'll sell then, Ian.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue May 13, 2003 1:52 pm

Exactly, Zultr. As a large state institution without 1A football, UMass is an anomoly, and as such we're in grave danger right now. It seems to be almost a forgone conclusion that the BE will break into football vs. non football, and, unfortunately we don't fit the profile on either side of the fence. We have most in common with the BE football schools, but we aren't 1A (and I don't see the $$ anywhere to make that jump right now), so we're out of luck there. The only thing we have in common with the BE basketball schools is the fact that we don't have 1A football. Ian & Co. need to convince the BE hoops schools that even though we are not a small Catholic school, our athletic programs would still be a worthwhile addition to their league. If that doesn't happen, we'll end up in some bastardized version of the A10 or CAA, neither of which hold much promise or appeal.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Tue May 13, 2003 2:03 pm

The difference between the mascot and conference alignment is that we can be proactive with the mascot. We are not talking in circles for entertainment. We are keeping up the pressure because it will influence the administration. Emails, phone calls, petitions are making a differnence. A mild outburtst that subsides will have no bearing on the administration.

Talking about conference alignment, while interesting, is all hypotheticals. Nothing here will have any bearing on Miami's decision to stay or go and consequently Syracuse, BC,.... decsions. The chips are going to fall where they may. Once they do and the ball is in Lombardi and McCaw's court then you'll probably see much more talk on this board. For now its just uninfluential discussion.

mdt
Freshman

Post by mdt » Tue May 13, 2003 2:17 pm

They better start those behind the scene's conversations before anything is officially released. If they wait to see what happens it will be way too late. They need to position themselves now for what may happen as $$ and such will have to be in place to make any moves. Otherwise Ian and Lombardi will be left out in the cold wearing their UMass 'Wolves' sweatshirts wondering why they aren't selling. :wink: