Florida parallel

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
fbiman
Sophomore

Florida parallel

Post by fbiman » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:12 pm

It was interesting to see Florida make a move to fire football coach Ron Zook after another disappointing start to their season. A bad loss to Miss St last Saturday sealed the deal. He's now coaching the team as a lame duck.

This makes me wonder, would UMass make a similiar move on Lappas if the season starts poorly?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:26 pm

Given what happened last year at St. John's, I say no.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:55 pm

To continue this parallel, would Calipari be the likely replacement? Obviously, no, but that's what I thought of with all the hype of bringing Spurier back.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:37 pm

We couldn't afford Cal now. It will be interesting to see if Spurrier goes back and tries to recapture the magic. Sometimes it is hard to go home again.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:06 pm

Poor parallel. Zook hasn't had a losing season yet.
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Post by PreacherPugh » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:15 pm

CRR_ wrote:Poor parallel. Zook hasn't had a losing season yet.
I have to disagree. In terms of the legacy of Florida football his record at home of 12-6 is unacceptable as is the way his team has played so far this year. Florida has high standards, something you'd hope UMass would have, but for some reason or another having 3 straight losing seasons with multiple players bolting after every season warrents Lappass another year? Losing to Holy Cross at home is worse, by a large margin, than Florida losing to Miss. State on the road. The athletic department must have standards that must be met. Using the term "re-building" is a way to hide the fact that a coach isn't succeeding.
Depina=a good PG
Pugh=a steller dunker
Toot=the man
Dec. 6th 2002=the ultimate

nale
Hall of Fame

Re: Florida parallel

Post by nale » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:00 am

fbiman wrote:It was interesting to see Florida make a move to fire football coach Ron Zook after another disappointing start to their season. A bad loss to Miss St last Saturday sealed the deal. He's now coaching the team as a lame duck.

This makes me wonder, would UMass make a similiar move on Lappas if the season starts poorly?
No I don't think UMASS would make a similiar move. The AD agreed to give Lappas one more season to prove himself. Coach Lappas will get the season. Of course if UMASS does have a very disappointing start to the
season Lappas would be for all practical purposes be a lame duck.
"This is my dream job''

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:18 am

PreacherPugh wrote: Losing to Holy Cross at home is worse, by a large margin, than Florida losing to Miss. State on the road.
You clearly don't know how bad Miss. St. is this year. And while losing to HC at the time was shocking, they proved to be an excellent team that year.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:26 am

First of all, Mississippi State lost to a fucking A-10 school!!!! That's how bad they are.

Second of all.....ZOOK HAS NOT HAD A LOSING SEASON YET!!!! I don't care what the alums think of a 12-6 record at home. That's a .666 winning percentage at home. That's over .500. That means he HAS NOT HAD A LOSING RECORD YET!!!! If you look at Lappas' home record, I'd bet it's not close to .666!!!!! Is it because you want to sleep with Lappas Preacher?

HumpYear

Re: Florida parallel

Post by HumpYear » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:27 am

fbiman wrote:It was interesting to see Florida make a move to fire football coach Ron Zook after another disappointing start to their season. A bad loss to Miss St last Saturday sealed the deal. He's now coaching the team as a lame duck.

This is not a very good comparison on many levels. The magnitude of the programs isn't even remotely comparable. You can't compare Florida football with most programs.

For Florida to lose to a school that lost to Maine is ridiculous. You are talking about one of the top programs in all of college football playing in a state that's absolutely loaded with high school football talent. Zook was absolutely a goner after this year. This saves their recruiting class since they'll get their guy in the day after the season ends, he'll have plenty of time to save the class or improve the class before signing day.

Zook also went to a fraternity and mouthed off to some fraternity brothers, Zook's best defender has been arrested twice in the past year, etc. There is a lack of control within the program as well, that definitely played a factor.

Unless there is a lack on control within the program, you don't fire basketball coaches midseason. It's different with college basketball. Most of the top players pick their school's in the summer and fall, by firing Lappas midseason you aren't in any way going to improve your chances of landing stud players, they've already signed in many cases.

If bringing in a top class at UMASS was imperative this year, he would never have been brought back in the first place.

Having said that, Lappas still managed to land a pretty decent pg, his absolute biggest need.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:20 pm

Another important point: Florida athletics makes an assload of money and Umass' does not.

tonymontana
Junior

Post by tonymontana » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:20 pm

Florida would never hire an AD like McCutcheon in the first place...........
you wanna a job?........call me tommorah!

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:57 pm

tonymontana wrote:Florida would never hire an AD like McCutcheon in the first place...........
Right, just University of Florida's president would.
:roll:
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

tonymontana
Junior

Post by tonymontana » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:05 pm

former University of Florida that is......plus....withb the budget Umass had for its AD search...no wonder Umass got stuck wth the Cutch.........where was he before Cal Poly or something......
you wanna a job?........call me tommorah!

UMassZappa
Freshman

Post by UMassZappa » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:42 am

I was at that Miss. St. / Florida game for my dad's induction into the Miss. St. Hall of Fame (baseball), and yeah, though State sucks (the reference to the Maine Ugh! loss), seeing them beat Florida is as gratifying as beating Temple with a 3 as the clock runs out. Almost makes the season worthwhile...other than beating Ole Miss of course. Plus, poor Croom now has to deal with NCAA sanctions because of Jackie Sherrel's/boosters crap...but i digress...

Inreference to the Florida situation, I would hate to see Lappas fired mid-season and then allowed to hang around. If it came to getting rid of him mid-season, then send him packing and give the team to the asst. coaches. That way the transition to a new coach begins immediately in the minds of the players, and they would have to rely on each other more to get through the rest of the season.

I only hope the best for this team though. I don't get to read as much on this site as I used to, but I know the mixed feelings. Still, I've already bet 12-packs with people on UMass taking the East, and I remain a strong believer in this team's talent. I'll be watching both them AND Miss. State's basketball and fortunately, I can bleed maroon for both. GO UMASS!!!!!!!!
"Although wherever you are going is in front of you, there is no such thing as straight ahead."
-Jeanette Winterson-