HumpYear

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:46 pm

Here's a thought...bring something new to the table. :shock:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

HumpYear

Post by HumpYear » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:52 pm

Steve Lappas kokorozashi sutaffu sorre roppou goshujin shingari.

dageki touhou!

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:21 pm

HumpYear wrote:Steve Lappas kokorozashi sutaffu sorre roppou goshujin shingari.

dageki touhou!
Mr. Miagi! We've met before. :roll:
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:36 pm

Somebody is pulling somebody" leg, but I can't tell who's who.
We all know that Lappas is a great coach all he needs is old players with long arms.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:44 pm

HumpYear wrote:Why let it bother you? Seriously, it's a message board for opions, regardless of what they may be.

I can't post that I think the team will have a good year? Sorry, didn't know the board was reserved for slamming the coach.
Fuck you. You're not going to take a shit on players to defend the coach. You just aren't.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

HumpYear

Post by HumpYear » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:34 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:
HumpYear wrote:Why let it bother you? Seriously, it's a message board for opions, regardless of what they may be.

I can't post that I think the team will have a good year? Sorry, didn't know the board was reserved for slamming the coach.
Fuck you. You're not going to take a shit on players to defend the coach. You just aren't.
Sorry tough guy.

If you didn't have your head so far up Bruisers rear, you might realize that by slamming the current coach with relentless regularity, you are basically questioning the intelligence of any player that has signed to play for him at UMASS.

You make him out to be the world's worse coach, a man totally incapable of winning against a high school team unless he has Magic Johnson and Shaq.

If everything you say is correct, what does it say about the players that sign on the dotted line to play for him? What does it say about their overall intelligence and desire to play the game?

These kids are obviously flushing their playing careers down the toilet.

They obviously don't care that they'll never win or ever develop as a players.

Isn't that a fairly easy deduction to make when they're willing to play for the ultimate loser?

Obviously there are more reaons to pick a school than just the coach, but the coach is still the number one factor, unless you have a long long long tradition of winning.

These guys don't even speak out against him.

If all you say about Lappas and his abilities are true, what does it say about the players and coaches that are willing to play and work for him?

Given how little credit you give Steve Lappas, don't you understand that you crap on the players more than anyone?

ATTENTION UMASS PLAYERS:

Coming out of high school you were all given the chance to drive the BMW for free. Unfortunately you went for door number 2 and picked the 1990 Taurus Station Wagon with 190,000 miles on it.

Sorry, better luck in future decisions.

Webster 75
Freshman

Post by Webster 75 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:35 pm

The pure audacity of it all. Someone has the unmitigated gall to post an opinion counter to DS (Can I lick Bruiser's balls) Robertson's view of UMass basketball. I'm sure it means alot to Bruiser and the players he recruited that DS has taken it upon himself to defend their virtue.
I believe that Bruiser was given one more year than he deserved. I also believe that the majority of UMass hoop fans agreed with the decision to let him go. Everyone knows that either Lappas turns a sharp cornor this year or he's gone. Most of what Hump Year has to say I agree with. As far as DS is concerned his obsession with Bruiser is bordering on the Hincleyish.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:48 pm

Webster 75 wrote: Most of what Hump Year has to say I agree with. As far as DS is concerned his obsession with Bruiser is bordering on the Hincleyish.
I believe the discussion is about the players that were here when Lappas arrived, and the assertion that they were not good, and that is the excuse for Lappas' horrible record as coach. Did you miss that part?
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

Webster 75
Freshman

Post by Webster 75 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:08 pm

No most of HY's original post was about reason's for optimisim about. this year's team. As DS consistently does to anyone who dares utter a positive comment, he takes a page out of the Bush Chaney playbook and seizes upon one small component of the arguement and blows it completly out of proportion. I used to enjoy coming to this board to share my enthusiasm about UMass hoops with other diehards. It's too bad this board has been hijacked by hardons.

HumpYear

Post by HumpYear » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:09 pm

HEY CRR,

If the players Bruiser recruited were any good, he wouldn't have been a .500 coach at UMASS, and he wouldn't have been fired.

The fact that Bruiser is winning at Drexel almost validates the point that he didn't win at UMASS because he couldn't bring in the players. His final year there he had 1 player that could throw it in the ocean.

Look at his roster at Drexel this year, all players within a couple hour drive of Philadelphia. The man is now recruiting in the backyard he grew up in and he's having success.

His best teams at UMASS had Philly players on them. Weeks and Ketner.

The other thing that is hilarious, he said the 3-point shot at UMASS was fools gold. You know why, HIS TEAM COULDN'T MAKE THEM.

GUESS WHAT TEAM LED THE CAA IN MADE 3 POINT ATTEMPTS LAST YEAR, A LEAGUE LOADED WITH PLAYERS THAT LIKE TO BOMB. ANY GUESSES?

DREXEL!!!!!

The man who said the 3 point shot was fools gold was coach of the year with a team that led the conference in 3 point fg's. Amazing what happens when you have players talented enough to make those shots regularly.

Explain that DS.

The sensitivity of this board towards the players Lappas inherited is ridiculous.

Maybe a message board should be started on my behalf since I was never recruited by anyone to play major hoops. Were the college coaches trying to tell me I wasn't good enough? How insensitive, I might take it up with the NCAA.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:32 pm

Who is Bruiser Flint and why is he relevant to either Steve Lappas's 13-16, 11-18, 10-19 performance at UMass, or as a reference point to disagree with another poster's critique of Lappas?

I'm terribly confused.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:25 pm

Can someone pull the plug on this nitwit? Or, better yet, can we get his IP address so we can embarrass him, similiar to what we did to that Syracuse idiot?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:26 pm

Hump - you started out really well here, but it seems your true colors are now showing. I'm not defending DS Bruce, but he didn't bring up Bruiser here, you did. Its so obvious you're someone who hated Bruiser and couldn't control your anger/articulate your point and got banned from this board.

So who are you anyway?

Also, I look forward to DS Bruce's response to being compared to Bush/Chaney. :D
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:06 pm

Here's how I sum up lappas' tenure at Villanova. Successful mediocrity. Pretty decent regular season with very little to show for it come the post season. Kinda like the Atlanta Braves. Nice job each season to win the NL East, sometimes surprising the pre-season experts. But come playoff time, other teams must be chomping at the bit to match up with them. And about once a decade, they put it all together and win big. But otherwise, nada. Villanova won the NIT in '94, about the same timeframe that Clinton was reveiwing resumes for interns. Over the next seven years, Villanova had nice records, in part because of the six future NBA draft picks, but a 3-6 post-season record. The fact that the Villanova fans were calling for lappas' head during a 20-win season should raise all kinds of red flags about what was going on. he made through an 18-win season and a 1-and-done in the NIT before the Villanova administration realized that there was no hope.

So let's go with humpster/miagi 's recommendation and ignore his tenure at UMass, even as much as I would like to take miagi to task about his shitting on the players and program to prove his point.

Based on past results, what is the best we can anticipate from lappas' next few years here? I say successful mediocrity. I'm predicting 16-11 (9-7), 1-1 in A-10 tourney and a 1-and-done in an NIT road game this year. An improvement for sure, but I predict we will have to get used to the same thing each year (if lappas indeed stays). Few people are rating this year's recruiting class highly, although Carrier can be special, but I suspect that he will find the going more difficult in the Mullins Center than Boyden. So we lose our point guard after this season with an apparently decent Austrie to follow. But he will be a freshman, and we all know what that means. miagi talks about the main reason that players sign on is the coach, but I say the first question they ask is how many times he will be on TV. The answer this year is once. So that is one reason why were are competing with CAA teams for players' services. So barring an amazing turnaround this year, UMass can't count on much more TV exposure down the road. So we will continue to fight it out with CAA and AMerica East teams for the talent. So UMass will continue (in the finest Villanova tradition) of beating up the weak teams (yes, I did chuckle when I wrote this), being non-competitive against the top-tier teams, winning more A-10 games than losing, and fading in the postseason. Track records are hard to overcome.

And we will continue to debate the merits of lappas' coaching during the summer of 2007. And the Braves will be 14 games up at the All-Star Break. Keep an eye on Coach Walker. If he starts an incessantly annoying rocking back and forth in his chair, we're in big trouble.

zombiewoof
Sophomore

Post by zombiewoof » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:28 pm

Humprear's use of "tremendous" has a certain stinky quality to it. That said, a lot of his player comments from THIS SEASON are accurate. There is a lot of potential on this team. Lap may be able to do very well with this crew and I'm hoping he does regardless of whether we get stuck with this turd for an extension.
This aggression will not stand, man