ESPN.com and Bruiser

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:55 am

philosopher wrote:Any comparison of Bruiser to Most is inconsiderate to Bruiser. Bruiser has class, is well-mannered, and is more about his team than self promotion. All antithetical to my former neighbor in Natick.
Phil - you could also say easily that any comparison of Bruiser to Most is unfair to Johnny. He was arguably the most famous and best color men of all time. There is no question of his legendary status as a broadcaster. Bruiser has shown he's a good mid-major coach (and a nice guy) but he does not have legendary status.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Phil, I sense you have more info on Johnny Most to share. I'd love to hear more....

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:37 pm

I try not to speak ill of the dead. Agreeing that Most is legendary, I will go so far as to say that some legends are more myth, lore, and hype than reality.

When it comes to Bruiser, let me begin a new paragraph in order to make my comments about Flint specifically about Flint. He is a very good mid-major coach. My dealings with him show him to have gentlemanly manners, is not foul mouthed in front of ladies, and knows how to laugh at himself.

Rudy Ruettiger
Sophomore

Post by Rudy Ruettiger » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:45 pm

Johnny Most is dead?! :wink: Did his ears turn into bat-wings or angel-wings?

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:08 pm

I'll never forget when he nearly lit himself on fire with a cigarette.

Classic, vintage, Johnny.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:10 pm

One thing which can never be debated, Bruiser Flint was a better coach at UMass than the current coach!

EAT THAT, Sanfs!
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:50 pm

CRR_ wrote:One thing which can never be debated, Bruiser Flint was a better coach at UMass than the current coach!

EAT THAT, Sanfs!
Man! I have so many comments that I want to make right now, but it really would not be fair because you are right on the money with this one. Welcome back to the "new insanity"..

Just for my own idle curiousity which of Papillon's alter egos do you dislike the most? I am kind of partial to Ezra - he seemed to be the most racist of all the many faces of Papillon :P:
In Matt McCall I trust!

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:21 pm

Good Lord. We agree again.
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

UMasster
Freshman

Post by UMasster » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:28 pm

CRR_
Someone should drive you over a bridge and leave you for dead...
Never get out of the boat. Goddamn right.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:07 am

Hey Umassturbate, this is just a wild guess, but I bet you wouldn't talk about The Sinclair Broadcasting Group and their toadie Mark Hyman like that.

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:09 pm

Do we have to constantly go through personal attacks, references to posters who may or may not be someone you think they are, insider references, etc.?

The acidity of this board is unlike any other sports message board I've ever seen. It's unnecessary and infringes on those of us who slog through this crap every day in order to hear about the program and discuss our opinions.

Can't we just stick to the posts in front of us, and respond to them? If you want to get personal, email the poster personally and flame away.

We don't come to this site to listen to personal and bitter attacks. We come to discuss the program passionately. Don't bother us all with bitterness, personal animosity, name calling, etc.

This is not directed at any individual poster.

Feel free to flame away at this post, gentlemen....

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:25 pm

Why would you bother to type such a passionate reply about bitterness and then ask people to "Feel free to flame away at this post?" Seems counterproductive to me. Almost as though you were asking for the exact thing you're post asks people not to do.

My reply to Umasster was written because I don't believe anyone should be asked to kill themselves because of their thoughts regarding a basketball team.

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 pm

We certainly agree on this!

The 'flame away' comment is a feeble attempt at sarcasm.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:57 pm

Swampy wrote:I don't believe anyone should be asked to kill themselves because of their thoughts regarding a basketball team.
I agree. People should only be asked to kill themselves if they vote for Bush!

UMasster
Freshman

Post by UMasster » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:19 pm

Swampy,
I did not ask him to kill himself, I said someone should drive him over a bridge and leave him for dead.
If you need help with the obvious it was a not-so-obscure reference to his chosen "icon", and actually a pretty funny one, obviously not said with serious intent... because I agree while pathetic and annoying... clinging on to the memory of a previous underperformer as some sort of justification for the last three years of program bashing... does not deserve death.

Your powers of deduction are only exceeded by your creativity, because I can assure you that nobody has ever used that version of my screen name before... but since you brought it up, yes, I am likely to pull one off every now and then, but the fact that you think about me doing it is a little disturbing...
Never get out of the boat. Goddamn right.