Question

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:52 pm

Debate?

Anyway, the point is that Lappas was brought here to improve on the performance that preceded his arrival and he is clearly trying to shift the blame for his failure to do so in any of his three seasons. The implication is that UMass was dreadfully bad last year because of inexperience which is debatable at best. However, the fact is that if inexperience is indeed the reason, then the blame for the team's inexperience also falls squarely on his shoulders (and therefore the blame for yet another terrible season falls squarely on his shoulders) because players who would have been able to provide this valuable experience were forced to leave, chose to leave, couldn't abide by the rules or have remained and have been judged to be not good enough to contribute. Even with the inexperience, if the players are as talented as we'd like to believe, a capable coach would have produced a record of better than 1-6 against Hartford, Central Connecticut St., Fordham, Duquesne and LaSalle. If inexperience were the real problem, the team would have been noticably better at the end of the year than at the beginning, but after starting the season 5-4, as the team gained more experience it lost 15 of its last 20 games including going 1-8 in its last 9.

Lappas has managed to underachieve with all manner of teams in his 3 years, but the one thing that has remained constant is his insulting insistance that it is not really HIS fault.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:46 pm

Bruce,

I think almost everyone (except you know who) agrees that Lappas has majorly underachieved. I also think the majority of us wish we had a different coach. I think the only place I differ is I hold out hope for this year. I know it may be foolish or crazy, but until they prove otherwise I am going to keep thinking this will be a good season.

But he does need to quit trying to "rationalize" the failures of the past few years.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:52 pm

utbVOR, I'm with you on the hope for this year. Never surrender!

Maybe Lappas lapses into rationalization to ease the pain that rises from recognizing he wasn't the right man in the right place at the right time. I don't think he's bad or stupid: just the wrong guy for this gig. If he has come to that realization, that has to hurt. Were I in his shoes, I'd probably resort to playing games with words as a placebo to ease the pain. But before I go and throw a pity party for him, it helps to remember that he is being paid rather nicely for this discomfort.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:06 pm

I'll say that I'm NOT holding out hope that we'll get to where we need to be this year. If we do then I'll be pleasantly surprised and if we don't then it'll just be like the last 5 or 6 years (has it been that long?) except my expectations are really really low now. This is a very strange year because a lot of us don't want Lappas as the coach and the only way he leaves is if they don't succeed but it's hard to root for us to lose. So, I'll just sit back and let the chips fall where they may - I do know that Lappas will not get us where we want to be which is contending for the A-10 title most years and getting back to being a regular in the NCAAs. I see that we lost out on Maurice Joseph - I wonder how badly Lappas' lame duck status will hurt recruiting. I predicted that it would be detrimental to this year's recruiting class and we've already lost out on a couple kids.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:10 am

Bruce keeps spinning about blameshifting and fault. Let me just say that Lappas was brought in to win and take UMass back into the Major program category following the downturn after 1996. In fact the program continued to falter. Lappas has re-stocked the program with the best talent we've had in a long while and a solid group of players who are committed to the Coach and the future. UMass will kicks ass in 2004 and that is what the focus should be on instead of bitching, whining and moaning. It will be fun to watch this team win games and the lappas trashers scramble back on the bandwagon when they see that we have got this thing back on track after a tough rebuilding period.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:06 am

but that's the problem many of us all have on here...it's HARD to have hope for the new year, BASED UPON HOW THINGS HAVE GONE SO FAR.

He can stock the program with the best talent that UMass has ever had in its history, but if they continue having overall records and performances like they've had, what "good" is it doing?

Believe me, I want to see this program on the right track just as bad as others...but if you keep hearing empty promises and senseless blaming....
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:38 am

VoxPop wrote: Let me just say that Lappas was brought in to win and take UMass back into the Major program category following the downturn after 1996.
We know that, just wondering when

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:50 am

VoxPop wrote:Bruce keeps spinning about blameshifting and fault. Let me just say that Lappas was brought in to win and take UMass back into the Major program category following the downturn after 1996. In fact the program continued to falter. Lappas has re-stocked the program with the best talent we've had in a long while and a solid group of players who are committed to the Coach and the future. UMass will kicks ass in 2004 and that is what the focus should be on instead of bitching, whining and moaning. It will be fun to watch this team win games and the lappas trashers scramble back on the bandwagon when they see that we have got this thing back on track after a tough rebuilding period.
Based on the results of Mr. Lappas, how is what you're doing NOT propaganda?
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:21 am

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf wrote:
Based on the results of Mr. Lappas, how is what you're doing NOT propaganda?
Exactly Muhammed - Bruce at least is going by what has actually happened in recent years. Vox Pop is the one with the propaganda - trying to make everyone believe that THIS year will be the year when we see the product on the court. Spouting off about how this is the best collection of talent we've had since Calipari, etc. Vox's mantra that Umass will "kick ass" this season is laughable at best. Let's beat the likes of CCSU & Hartford first before we start talking about kicking ass. I'll believe it when I see it.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:31 am

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf wrote: Based on the results of Mr. Lappas, how is what you're doing NOT propaganda?
whatsamatter there sahaf, wake up on the wet spot under the camel again this morning?

I will leave shittalking UMass to you and the other frauds who pretend to be fans.

How dare anybody support the players, coaches and the University and be enthusiastic about the best young team we have had in years.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:00 am

VoxPop wrote:
Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf wrote: Based on the results of Mr. Lappas, how is what you're doing NOT propaganda?
whatsamatter there sahaf, wake up on the wet spot under the camel again this morning?

I will leave shittalking UMass to you and the other frauds who pretend to be fans.

How dare anybody support the players, coaches and the University and be enthusiastic about the best young team we have had in years.
And with this post, yet another thread had devolved into a pro Lappas-anti-Lappas hissing contest.

:roll:
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:04 am

Lappas is not only a bad coach, but he's proving to be a weasel as well. He was brought here to improve on 2001 immediately and has failed spectacularly. The only spinning is being done by the lone history revisionist who either forgot what actually transpired in regard to the coaching change or is being intentionally misleading.

Once again, the administration's actions speak volumes about how poorly Lappas has performed. Doing everything but firing him after last season, and in the process making it as easy and painless as it can possibly be to fire him this season makes it as clear as it can possibly be. I appreciate their sending the unambiguous message to the fans that Lappas is on the thinnest of ice and his track record of utter failure is not acceptable and his presence will not be tolerated any longer than absolutely financially necessary.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:17 am

I love how taking a shit on the program and waging an assinine anonyomous smear campaign against the UMass basketball coach just fine and dandy.

But if anybody dares to support this team and be excited to watch this team kick some ass that is somehow "propaganda".

Lappas is not a bad coach - Just ask the players who chose to come here and represent the University and who support him 100%. They are on this team right now and they are working their butts off to get ready for the season and compete for the A10 title while you sit on your ass at your computer and fabricate your slanderous and misleading opinions aimed at undermining their efforts, slandering their coach and damaging the basketball program.

I am not pro-lappas - I am pro-UMASS.

In his incessant need to bash the UMass Basketball Coach and undermine the program - bruce and his pathetic ilk are bashing UMass, the basketball program and the team. Bruce has consistently demonstrated that he is more than willing to resort to lying, slander and misrepresenting the truth in order to achieve his goal of damaging UMass because he is still pissed off that bruiser is not the coach.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:10 am

Oooh, this kitten's got claws!

Anyway, his abysmal record at UMass speaks volumes. His embarassing losses to programs that should be considered inferior speak volumes. The thousands upon thousands of empty seats at the Mullins Center speak volumes. The number of players that don't complete their commitment speak volumes. And most tell of all, his humiliating contract restructuring speaks volumes. Lappas is a lame duck. He's a well below average coach in a situation that requires someone who's skilled at more than finger pointing and blameshifting.

Papillon, if your hypocrisy weren't so blatant, if you didn't have a history of mocking the "my team right or wrong" ethos, your stance on Lappas wouldn't be viewed as merely going against the grain because you thrive on being the contrarian. But you have a history and it's known it's impossible to believe that your blood is actually so maroon that you're willing to support a failure rather than be critical because you have proven your willingness to be intensely critcal of superior performers.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:32 am

Once again you have me confused with another person. My name is not papillon. As for history - I have a 20 year history of being an active member of the alumni association, a multi sport season ticket holder and contributor to the University financially and professionally.

Bruce: for these reasons and others, I find your brand of character assassination and trashing the UMass basketball program to be the detestable behavior of an all talk/no walk punk. You seem to fancy yourself an experienced athletic critic - Are you a basketball expert? Where did you play ball? Where have you coached? What is your sports management background that makes you such an expert? Have you ever managed a 7-11 or a little league team much less a D1 athletic program?

I don't know Steve Lappas other than meeting him once. He seemed like a good person to me. More importantly he is the coach of UMass, he has recruited a great group of young men to represent the university, he runs a clean program, players go to class anf graduate with a degree and solid life skills. The team will be much improved, they work very hard to do the best they can and all the players and coaches deserve our support and not incessant berating.