Excitment for next season!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
frank da tank

Excitment for next season!

Post by frank da tank » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:38 pm

I don't know about you guys, but i was just thinking about next yr, and we might have a big time season next year. Everyone is back from last yr, we have probably the most talented freshman coming in Lawrence Carrier, and two big frehmen bodies off the bench......

Andesron will be solid at the pg position....our 4 sophs will only be better, and Freeman will be a POY candidate in the A10.... Viggs will rebound in his 3rd season, and won't have as much pressure as he had last season. We will have 3 Srs on the roster...Chadwick will be solid with a year under his belt(hopefully his weight will be down).

I think the league will not be as strong, with the St Joe's, XUs, Dayton, and Richmond losing alot of players. Umass lost alot of close games the down the stretch lasts eason, but were very close, and playing all those freshmen last yr, will help them this season and they will win most of those games this yr.

Team chemistry will be very good, the players know each other on and off the court....I'm sure they saw what the A10 did in the ncaa tourney, and they will want to beat one of those teams this season.........

The key this season will be internal competition in practise this yr....guys will be challenging each other every day, and that will help the team on the court..........

Lappas and his staff have the guys they want and will surprise many.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 20 games next yr......

Can't wait too see them play........

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:48 pm

Personally, I think Artie Bowers is gonna have a huge year. Would be great to see the Minutemen at the top of the A-10 again.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:55 am

frank da tank! frank da tank!!!!!!
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

Will_Noyes
Freshman

Post by Will_Noyes » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:42 pm

I think last year was rock bottom from the university for a lots of things including basketball and budgets woes. This year will be a rebound, that I have no doubt of, its only a matter of how much of a rebound will be made. The basketball team, barring any unfortunate injuries will be improved. The actually record may not improve if we up our schedule to play more teams like Gonzaga and Miami and less teams like Hartford and Maine. Once we start the A-10 season however, I expect the team to come out and compete. This team has played trial by fire and now its sink or swim time and everyone knows it. Freeman should come out and dominate the league this year and if Bowers can come through with a consistant outside game with AA's balanced point the ability for UMass to play the inside out game should be much improved. The motion offense if a difficult way to run a new team, but they have been given the time now to become acclimated to the system and should be able to run a much smother game next year. This team has demonstrated its flashes over the past year, now it needs to put them all together in a consistant manner and start playing like a team. When that happens, they will begin to dominate the A-10 competition.
Nope

scumming
Sophomore

next season will surprise you all

Post by scumming » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:07 pm

I myself have a bond with a majority of the players on our basketball team and have been in several classes with them...i have also seen them all play at different times in addition, lawrence carrier was on my intramural team for the beginning of spring 2003...i know for a fact that he will be prepared next year and i'd guess his numbers should be around 15pts, 4rbs, 4assts, a steal and a block a game...this kid is the truth and will take off his first year of eligibility for us...next, ray ray or rayshaun freeman is gonna do his thing once again and if you were around the horseshoe or saw him a lot during the spring, you know his work ethic is excellent which will allow him to improve his already dominant inside game over the offseason, 20 and 10 is not out of reach for him for pts and rbs...art bowers shot better from three (36%) than from the field (33%) so you know that this kid who once outscored LeBron James in high school will come back with a vengenance his sophomore year and could put up as many as 12-15 a game...ant always gets it done and this year i'd say his numbers might not make your eyes pop out but his leadership for this team will be key in addition to his outstanding 3 point shooting, pencil him in for 12pts and 5assists per game...viggiano is getting bigger and will crash the boards next year and be a solid role player with 8-10pts and 5-6rbs a game...maxwell and chadwick should provide some backcourt depth and will both be a year older this season which only helps...stephane lasme is gonna surprise a lot of people next year, this guy fills up the box score i'd say by what i saw this past spring, he could be getting 6-8pts and 6-8rbs a game with at least 3 blocks per contest...lastly if these newcomers especially the 7 footer can chip in their fair share, i don't see why this team can not succeed and win 18-20 games and possibly wrap up the A10 if west goes pro and URI falters...we got lots to be excited for about this upcoming season my fellow minutemen fanatics

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:22 pm

I like the enthusiasm! Keep it coming.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:58 am

Sounds good to me man

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:46 am

As I've said (and been mocked for saying by the board experts), UMass will Kick some Ass this season.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:49 am

Being disappointed the last two years with the record of our team I have come to realize the wisdom of a few qoutes. I'm from Massachusetts, "Show me." One of my favorite poker sayings, " If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Similarily, I know my team is on the court and I will support them but I would just like to see some results before I get too hyped up about portential.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:57 am

UMass87 wrote:I like the enthusiasm! Keep it coming.
I'll second that.

Unfortunately I can't share that level of enthusiasm or optimism at this point but I do like to see it.

GO UMASS!!!
"This is my dream job''

zuksnj
Junior

Post by zuksnj » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:07 pm

nale wrote:
UMass87 wrote:I like the enthusiasm! Keep it coming.
I'll second that.
On that note. Not to be a jerk, but 15 points is a crapload of points for a freshman. I hope you are right with Carrier and no offense but what he does in the horseshoe and in intramurals is completely different. I played Ross Burns in pickup games and he was like a God. Nobody could touch him. His fundamentals were sick and he was easily boxing out 6'8 guys and taking it strong on us like we were nothing. Like I said, no offense and if we get a 15pt frosh we would be VERY dangerous. NCAA dangerous!
And still heavyweight champ..Umass basketball!

frank da tank

Post by frank da tank » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:25 pm

Carrier is the most talented player on the UMass roster(including Freeman). This was a major coup for Lappas and the coaching staff getting this kid, who had Indiana, Notre Dame and several high majors were all over him....However Carrier needs to lose weight(240lbs is too much), the yr off hasn't helped him in that regard, but he will be a major contributor next season. He won't start right away, but will dislodge Viigiano during the season....

With Anderson-Bowers-Maxwell-Viggiano and Freeman starting the yr, with Carrier,Lasme,Chadwick, Lamoureux and BMartin and Deli and loveable Kouyate, this team has depth and experience for the 1st time under the Lappas regime.......

Lappas can go small, or big, or athletic or power....

Look for Freeman to dominate again, but double and triple teams will come from everywhere, he will have to kick out well....

Carrier won't score 14-15ppg, i'll be happy with 10ppg....and good defense....

This team needs to plat better D!...Lappas needs to enforce that...lets stop teams....cuz this team can score....

Is the staff looking to add another freshman this season?? possibly a PG??

Not sure if Maxwell can play point next yr...

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:22 pm

Wow. As I read these posts the word "fantasy' comes to mind.

I like all the players because they are UMass Minutemen and because they are a talented bunch, but, remember, Steve Lappas coaches this team, so you can toss out all the 'best case' and 'what if' scenarios.

13-16.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:38 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:Wow. As I read these posts the word "fantasy' comes to mind.

I like all the players because they are UMass Minutemen and because they are a talented bunch, but, remember, Steve Lappas coaches this team, so you can toss out all the 'best case' and 'what if' scenarios.

13-16.
Yes god forbid anyone have any positivity or optimism!!

People like Ali (using the term people loosely) prefer to to sit in a pile of your their filth just so they can bitch about how it smells.

This team will be better...how much better remains to be seen.

What a tool.....

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:54 pm

We've had three months of "Fire Lappas!" and "Lappas Sucks!" Granted that those people have sound reasons for saying those things, but Lappas ain't goin' anywhere in the near future.

Thisis OUR school we are talking about. I'm assuming that most of the folks on the board ARE alumni. Is the hatred of Lappas so deep that alumni on this board HOPE their alma mater bombs next season?

Face it, it's a win-win situation right now. If he loses, he's gone and a new coach can come in and clean up. If he wins, everyone is happy.

It's tough to be optimistic about these guys but hope springs eternal.