Excitment for next season!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:58 am

Ok....as a pitcher myself. I have to say there is no question that Calvin Schiraldi did not want to be on that mound once things got tight. But I truly blame Gedman. If you watch that game carefully after the Mets were down to their final out he kept calling for fastballs right down the middle. Even with two strikes that is what he went with. Remember Schiraldi was a rookie, and was not about to shake off Gedman at that point. His poor calling of that last inning led as much to the comeback as anything. Also, he never even moved on the Stanley wild pitch. I know the target was outside and the ball went way inside...but he should have been able to get a glove on it.

Ine the end the order of guilt for that game is...

#1 - John McNamara (taking Clemens out, leaving Buckner in, numerous other stupid moves)

#2 - Rich Gedman

#3 - Calvin Schiraldi

#4 - Bob Stanley

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:17 am

How about blaming the WHOLE TEAM because that game with Buckner was game 6.......there was still a game 7 that the Red Sox choked away too. The team lost the World Series.....not one or two players. Get real.

scumming
Sophomore

excitement for next season

Post by scumming » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:48 pm

I dunno why everyone is talkin about the 1986 world series in this forum, let's see up a new subject for that cuz this is about the excitement for next year's bball team...i'll continue to keep postin everything i hear from my sources here including what the players on the team are doing and how well their offseason workouts are going...i'm hoping to have some info about how lawrence carrier is performing this summer and if he's cut a few pounds...keep this forum for umass shit cuz i like hearing what the rest of you say...i'll post shortly guys
i know my facts

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:51 pm

Kosty wrote:
That's because.....well I won't go there. I think you know what I was going to say next.....

yep, you were going to make a lame attempt at bashing me
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:11 pm

Oh....you got me Brian.....I shouldn't have even tried a "lame attempt" at bashing you. We all know the King Of Posts is the king of this board. All hail King Brian. If you don't get his humor, you're stupid.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Re: excitement for next season

Post by UMass87 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:19 pm

scumming wrote:I dunno why everyone is talkin about the 1986 world series in this forum, let's see up a new subject for that cuz this is about the excitement for next year's bball team...i'll continue to keep postin everything i hear from my sources here including what the players on the team are doing and how well their offseason workouts are going...i'm hoping to have some info about how lawrence carrier is performing this summer and if he's cut a few pounds...keep this forum for umass shit cuz i like hearing what the rest of you say...i'll post shortly guys
Since I'm on record as believing Stephane Lasme will be most improved - I want to hear everything about him.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:38 pm

87, you could be right on with Lasme. No doubt the kid has the physical athleticism to make the biggest improvement once he gets more confident & learns the game. This kid could be a real good player with a good teacher. Let's hope they all work their ass off and come back with something to prove, that UMass hoop is back. I'm not a big Lap fan, but I'm behind these kids 100%, and would love to see them stick together & become a force again in the A-10

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:02 pm

Don Baylor was the one who told McNamara to let Buckner take the field so that he could be on the field for the big win. Dave Stapleton had been the late innning defensive move at 1b. Stape was called back to allow Billy Buck to take the field in the 9th.

Its insane to talk about game 7. The sox had it won in game 6, but for a comedy of errors capped by Buck's error. Schiraldi never recovered. BTW Gedman is to blame for the passed ball.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:43 pm

It shouldn't have come down to Schiraldi, Gedman, or Buckner. McNamara should have left Clemens in the game.

I find it oddly ironic that the same people who chastised McNamara for removing Clemens in Game 6 in the 86 series are the same people who ran Grady Little out of town for keeping Pedro in vs. the Yankees last year.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:32 pm

There is a difference between letting somebody start one inning too many and letting somebody get beat around in an inning while a lights-out reliever (or two) is ready and warm in the bullpen.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:33 am

Kosty wrote:Oh....you got me Brian.....I shouldn't have even tried a "lame attempt" at bashing you. We all know the King Of Posts is the king of this board. All hail King Brian. If you don't get his humor, you're stupid.

BINGO!!!!!

YOU HAVE BINGO!!!!!

YOU WIN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yepo...................
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

scumming
Sophomore

Re: excitement for next season

Post by scumming » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:31 am

UMass87 wrote: Since I'm on record as believing Stephane Lasme will be most improved - I want to hear everything about him.
I'll keep this post to UMass hoops and add to what 87 would like to know...Lasme was working hard this spring to become a much better player and further his knowledge of the game...this is just his 4th or5th year ever playing basketball so he's still growing mentally, everyone else has played this game since they could walk...he is so god damn athletic, quick off his feet and explosive that next year with some added bulk(hopefully), he's gonna give freeman plenty of assistance down low...did you guys see how many shots he swatted this year in seemingly zero to no playing time with the exception of against Dayton...i'm certain he'll get 20 minutes a game and will fill the box score up in pts, rbs, blks.
i know my facts

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:48 am

I agree with you guys and I think Lasme will be a well known player in the league in two or so years. He looked very impressive to me when he got more time at the end of the last season. If he just adds a few more pounds and some experience I think he and Freeman will be a monster tag team in the paint. 8)

frank da tank

Post by frank da tank » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:41 pm

I've always thought that Lasme was a way better prospect and now player than Gabe Lee. If he got Lee's mins last yr, he would have been at the top of the blocked shots category in the A10....this yr with increased mins, he'll be up there in the nation I beleive.....

Lee was selfish and only cared about his PT....he got hurt and didn't bother cheering on his own team??? Lasme will be 10 times the player....

Will Lasme and Freeman play together alot this yr, or will Lappas go with Viggs and Carrier at the 4spot?? I guess we'll see.........

I wonder who'll have a better soph yr. Bowers or Maxwell.....I hear both are working hard this off-season......

Lappas has guys to work with now.....lets be positive....

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:58 pm

Don't forget about AA too. I'd love to see him come back & have a huge last season