West headed for draft

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UmAstudent
Senior

West headed for draft

Post by UmAstudent » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:01 pm

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:15 pm

I'll bet he'll be back. I don't think he's got an NBA game and it will show in camps. Monty Mack was better than him in every part of the game. Of course without Nelson, he will be exposed next year.

He's good, I'd certainly take him, but I'm guessing he realizes that his NBA prospects are as good as they're going to get right now.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:33 pm

Not good news for the league but this may open things up a bit for UMass in the east division.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:27 pm

krkess wrote:Not good news for the league but this may open things up a bit for UMass in the east division.
West will be back. The freshman PG they have coming in is supposed to be very very good. Throw him in there with Carroll and the front court which defends and rebounds and St. Joe's will be a heavy favorite again next year. They could have beaten us by 50 last year and I don't think Nelson leaving will make up that difference. West will be back.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 04, 2004 8:20 pm

Kid's a player, can't blame him for checking out his options. Good that he left the door open to return if he's not projected as a first rounder. Big money on the line, might be better waiting another year, but he'll be in the league at some point. If he stays in school, St. Joe's should be very good, & good for the A10.
Speaking of Monty Mack, anyone think he's got a shot at making an NBA roster in the next few years?

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Wed May 05, 2004 8:43 am

I'd be shocked to see Monty make an NBA roster. It'd be nice though.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Fri May 21, 2004 2:06 pm

West is a high second rounder on most mocks right now but he'll probably never be higher so he may stay in.
Where is Mack playing these days anyway?

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri May 21, 2004 2:24 pm

At 6'4 and 180, West isn't strong enough to play the 2 spot in the NBA right now. My guess is that he will return to St. Joe's for another year. While it is a good idea to test the waters now, he will do himself a favor by playing in college another year. But he does have a good game.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:29 pm

West is staying in the draft. I guess it helps us but it hurts the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004 ... id=1823962

scumming
Sophomore

delonte west

Post by scumming » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:17 pm

philosopher wrote:At 6'4 and 180, West isn't strong enough to play the 2 spot in the NBA right now.

i hate being a stickler but i gotta make a correction first...west was measured at just 6 foot 2 and not 6'4" to begin with but in addition to that he hopefully will go to the nba to help umass cuz college is all he has right now...he just simply isn't ready for the nba and even if he does stay, tear it up and go lottery next year, he'll take a few years to develop into a solid nba player...bottom line i think he's dumb for giving his rights up this year but hope he stays in the draft to help our minutemen have a more positive and realistic look at takin the A10
i know my facts

scumming
Sophomore

mack's stats last year

Post by scumming » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:28 pm

hey i got some stats on monty mack's past season overseas...here's the link

http://www.tblstat.net/player_detail.as ... &SCAT=SAVG
i know my facts

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:28 am

scumming, know anything about the league he's in as far as how it's rated talentwise? Good to see Monty putting up some good numbers

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:53 am

Martelli: ''Despite the rumor to the opposite, we are going to actually have a team here next year. We have not decided to disband basketball."

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45 pm

"Although the prevailing opinion among NBA talent evaluators is that (Delonte) West will not be chosen until the second round of the June 24 draft, he decided to leave St. Joe's. West had until 5 p.m. yesterday to pull out of the draft." Philadelphia Inquirer"

I hope West has a promise from someone because I can't put him in the first round anywhere. There are quite a few SG's that likely will go in the first round, all much taller then West. Lguodala, Jackson,Snyder, Monya and two high school kids J.R. Smith and Dorell Wright. Add at least four PG's Livingston, Harris, Nelson, Gordon possibly Telfair.
There just doesn't seem like there is room for another guard in the first round.

Most mock drafts online have him going between 32-45. one had him the last pick of the first round.

Good luck to West he may need it.
"This is my dream job''

frank da tank

Post by frank da tank » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:51 am

Lets see if coach Martelli talks smack this season..lol.....

Lets see what Stechitas or Bryant does this season?????

Martelli LOVED the camera last season....

No Jameer no Delonte......NO NUTTING COACH!