Next year's schedule

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

Next year's schedule

Post by Kosty » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:10 pm

From Matty V. today.....

HOOP SCHEDULE - In addition to the Preseason National Invitation Tournament and games against Boston College, Connecticut, Tennessee, Rider and Marshall which were already scheduled, the University of Massachusetts men's basketball team had five nonconference games to add to next year's schedule.

Two of those will be against America East teams, Hartford and Vermont. UMass coach Steve Lappas said the Minutemen are hoping to get a neutral site game, potentially at Mohegan Sun.

The NIT released the full field for next year's tournament. In addition to UMass, the other 15 teams are: Georgia Tech, UConn, Texas Tech, Utah, Davidson, Minnesota, Louisiana-Lafayette, Yale, Hofstra, Nevada, Vermont, Marist, Missouri-Kansas City, Georgia State and St. Francis.

Full article.....
http://www.gazettenet.com/04022003/umass_ho/4777.htm

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:08 pm

Am I the only one who's tired of playing Marshall? Please, enough already! This series doesn't do much besides perpetuating the Marcum drivel by the mouthbreathers on the MassLive board.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:13 pm

I think this is the end of the latest 2-for-1 deal. Hopefully there won't be any more.

TBird
Sophomore

Post by TBird » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:31 pm

Looks like a decent schedule.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:40 pm

Vermont has a good team....and I believe their star player that got hurt earlier this season and had to sit out is coming back next season. Sorrentino or something like that.

Interesting that when looking at both the teams we're playing and the teams in the Pre-Season NIT.....there is technically a possibility that we will play Vermont AND UCan't twice.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Nice schedule

Post by FRDreams » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:03 pm

Some decent teams. I am a big fan of playing regional teams in other conferences. It looks we have a good mix of tough non conf. teams and weaker non-conference teams. With a roster still up in the air we need all the help we can get.[/img]

Mr. Dean

Next Year's Schedule

Post by Mr. Dean » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:27 pm

With three games left to fill the schedule, I would like to see Holy Cross added as one opponent. It would be local and against a quality opponent
at least while Willard is the coach. I would like to see them schedule at least one ACC opponent as well one C-USA/Big Ten opponent.

I know some people will say schedule as many creampuff games as you can to boost your win totals (The Beagles approach). The other option is to schedule better competition so the players and team improve faster. (Temple's approach). I am a believer in playing the tougher competition.

What are other people's thoughts on this ? Does a team improve quicker
because they gain confidence from winning games against the creampuffs ? Or does a team improve quicker by playing the iron although they may get their butts kicked for awhile in the process ? :?:

LopesRI
Sophomore

Post by LopesRI » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:54 pm

MikeUMA wrote:Am I the only one who's tired of playing Marshall? Please, enough already! This series doesn't do much besides perpetuating the Marcum drivel by the mouthbreathers on the MassLive board.
Sick of Marshall?!! NO WAY!! We beat them last season. Any win is a good win.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:44 pm

Given how many new faces we'll have (not to mention Lappas's job may be on the line), I say go with the Syracuse/Georgetown philosophy, fill up on cupcakes in the early going, then hope that gives us some momentum heading into the A-10 season.

UMassFrosh06
Freshman

Post by UMassFrosh06 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:44 pm

Tougher schedules mean better RPI. The only problem is getting conference powers that would actually want to play us.

Jeff93
Junior

Scheduling

Post by Jeff93 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:03 am

MullinsManiac wrote:I say go with the Syracuse/Georgetown philosophy, fill up on cupcakes in the early going, then hope that gives us some momentum heading into the A-10 season.
Didn't we try this last season? Remember Central Ct State? How about Lafayette? I say if you're going to risk a loss, lose to a quality opponent. Frankly, Holy Cross qualifies in that category these days. If anyone has had a chance to see a game at the Hart Center this season, it was very reminiscent of the Cage. 3 straight trips to the NCAA and with scholarships back, they could really build something. I'd love to see this game in the Centrum again.

Jeff93
Junior

Post by Jeff93 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:05 am

Kosty wrote:Vermont has a good team
And if the board hadn't crashed, I would have evidence of my early season prediction of the Catamounts as a suprise team for 2002-2003. So you'll just have to take my word for it. But damn, I wish they'd got past the 1st round. Oh well.

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Re: Next Year's Schedule

Post by PreacherPugh » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:40 pm

Mr. Dean wrote:With three games left to fill the schedule, I would like to see Holy Cross added as one opponent. It would be local and against a quality opponent
at least while Willard is the coach. I would like to see them schedule at least one ACC opponent as well one C-USA/Big Ten opponent.

I know some people will say schedule as many creampuff games as you can to boost your win totals (The Beagles approach). The other option is to schedule better competition so the players and team improve faster. (Temple's approach). I am a believer in playing the tougher competition.

What are other people's thoughts on this ? Does a team improve quicker
because they gain confidence from winning games against the creampuffs ? Or does a team improve quicker by playing the iron although they may get their butts kicked for awhile in the process ? :?:
Theres no way Lappas would schedule Holy Cross. He was embaressed by them two years ago and the lose to Lafayette last year was bad enough. He's scared to lose anymore bad games like that and by playing Vermont he's just asking to lose another one to a lesser opponent. Might as well go on the road for a couple more games and bring in some money or try and bring in some interesting opponents. What about Arkansas Little Rock? They nearly gave Lappas a heartattack in his first ever Umass game I'm sure he's looking for real easy opponents right now like Yale, Cornell or Hofstra. The guy needs to pile up wins it is as simple as that, cuse this season was a complete disaster.
Depina=a good PG
Pugh=a steller dunker
Toot=the man
Dec. 6th 2002=the ultimate

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:21 pm

Not only two potential games against UConn, but also two possible against Vermont (which UMass hasn't faced since 1991). Having had a game against Maine two seasons ago, and two vs. Rhode Island every year, all we need now is to plug in New Hampshire (last faced UMass in 1993) and fire up the Yankee Conference discussion! :twisted: